Advice on starting a cache

GiesenFamily

We have just started geocaching as a family and we are totally hooked. Only 14 finds so far, and we are waiting until the recommending 20 before we start our own. We have started planning it already and are very excited.

I have a question about the location we are planning. We want it close by so we can maintain it. We live in a subdivision but have a massive backyard that backs on to a green space. We were thinking of putting a cache on the other side of our back fence, the public side, in the park. Truthfully, there is nothing amazing to look at except the green space and my awesome backyard. :) And there are a few houses around, not many, so the cache can be found inconspicuously if the cachers are careful. Our plan is also going to be elaborate, and very, very cool.

What do you think? Lame location? We want to play this game properly so we won't place in there if the veterans think the spot is lame. :D

TIA.

Edited by GiesenFamily

We have just started geocaching as a family and we are totally hooked. Only 14 finds so far, and we are waiting until the recommending 20 before we start our own. We have started planning it already and are very excited.

I have a question about the location we are planning. We want it close by so we can maintain it. We live in a subdivision but have a massive backyard that backs on to a green space. We were thinking of putting a cache on the other side of our back fence, the public side, in the park. Truthfully, there is nothing amazing to look at except the green space and my awesome backyard. :) And there are a few houses around, not many, so the cache can be found inconspicuously if the cachers are careful. Our plan is also going to be elaborate, and very, very cool.

What do you think? Lame location? We want to play this game properly so we won't place in there if the veterans think the spot is lame. :D

TIA.

My only concerns are 1. that you make it clear that the cache is in the greenspace and not in anyone's yard--making sure that you get accurate coordinates is part of that; and 2. what are your neighbors going to think when strangers start poking around behind the fences? If possible, I think you should talk to your neighbors before putting a cache there and let them know that there will be people back there from time to time, even at night. And if they don't like the idea, find another place.

Some people would also suggest to wait until you find more to hide. However, I think this varies with each person. Some people find so much that their creativity is not what it is at the beginning. This is the way I always look at it. A cache should USUALLY do one of the following things to make it a good cache....

1. Bring me some place cool.

2. Show a lot of creativity. This could be through cache design, a cool background story, or a clever puzzle.

3. Challenge me either physically or mentally.

Either one of these could be a WOW factor in my book. If its a combination and delivers multiple WOWs, even better.

Team V3: Well, we are planning on knocking #2 out of the park!

And I wouldn't say the location is totally not a cool place at all. I wasn't kidding when I send we have a cool backyard. It is interesting to look at. And the park itself is nice, in a new neighbourhood. No woods at all, wmpastor.

We have been at plenty of caches that are visible from houses. Hmmm...

We are going to give this location more thought. Thanks all!!!

If you live in a subdivision, be sure the general public is allowed to use the parks and greenbelts. In many places, residents only are allowed to use them, others allow residents to invite others in and will allow a Geocache in those places. Some have no restrictions, as the parks and greenbelts are "public".

If you need to get permission from your HOA, be sure to note that in your cache description.

If I get a cache submitted for review that is on a back fence I always ask the cache owner (CO) to confirm their neighbours know about it. I've seen a few caches like this where the police have been called by neighbours worried about noises and flashlights during the night. GPS coordinates are not that accurate, particularly if the area is under trees. So, allowing for an error when you place it and an error by whoever is looking for it you could be talking 10's of feet - which could mean people searching the fences of the houses either side of yours, if not further away.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

I think it would be fine and might even be amusing for the neighbors. Just make sure you *tell* your neighbors about it, so they don't call the police. Also, make sure your coordinates are good and that cachers do not wander onto private property. Many people might be uncomfortable searching in plain view of houses so you might want to give a good hint so they can make a quick getaway.