(Bug) Problem with "corrected coordinates"

1949Sidewinder

I have been solving a bunch of puzzles lately. When I obtain the solution I correct the coordinates on the website and then update the cache listing on my device-CacheSense on Android running on my Nexus 7 Tablet. The day before yesterday (December 18) things changed: the coordinate update on the website works, but the update to the device does not. I used the website search function to list all of my California puzzle caches with corrected coordinates-looks good. Added them to a bookmark list and used that to generate a pocket query. When I import said pocket query into GSAK the new coordinates show, but the corrected coordinates flag is not set (as it is on all the other caches with corrected coordinates.) When I import the PQ into the device the cache listings in question do not change. I just tried again on another puzzle cache and got the same result.

The caches from the day before yesterday: A log at the base of 3 trees and What is my pet centipede doing? (YGR 1406)

The one from today is Rhymes with Pi

This is a very big deal to me as I have several hundred puzzles solved with the intention of finding them on several cross country trips next spring and summer. I plan on solving several hundred more before then. Having the corrected coordinates listed on the website does not do much good if I cannot get them loaded into the device that I use to find them. Help would be welcome.

Thanks, Michael

PS there have been no updates to the device and no settings have been changed.

While a PQ comes with the corrected coordinates there is nothing in the file that says they are corrected so any program (GSAK) receiving the file has no way of knowing they have been corrected. The corrected flag does come when you use the API call.

Since you use GSAK you should probably use the macro "Import waypoints from a GC.com bookmark via API" that can be found in the Macros section of the forum.

Thanks Walter,

I refreshed those caches in GSAK via "refresh cache data" and it did indeed result in the "corrected coordinates" flag being set. However, that does not explain why updating the device (via the API) all of a sudden does not correct the coordinates on the device. That is the only important thing to me. I included the information about the GSAK experience because I thought it might help in troubleshooting.

Michael

I refreshed those caches in GSAK via "refresh cache data" and it did indeed result in the "corrected coordinates" flag being set. However, that does not explain why updating the device (via the API) all of a sudden does not correct the coordinates on the device. That is the only important thing to me. I included the information about the GSAK experience because I thought it might help in troubleshooting.

I have been solving a bunch of puzzles lately. When I obtain the solution I correct the coordinates on the website and then update the cache listing on my device-CacheSense on Android running on my Nexus 7 Tablet. The day before yesterday (December 18) things changed: the coordinate update on the website works, but the update to the device does not. I used the website search function to list all of my California puzzle caches with corrected coordinates-looks good. Added them to a bookmark list and used that to generate a pocket query. When I import said pocket query into GSAK the new coordinates show, but the corrected coordinates flag is not set (as it is on all the other caches with corrected coordinates.) When I import the PQ into the device the cache listings in question do not change. I just tried again on another puzzle cache and got the same result.

Your OP indicates you loaded the PQ into the device. Are you using the PQ or the API refresh on the device?

It is the PQ (Pocket Query) that contains the erroneous data. It contains a set of coordinates, that are your corrected coordinates, but the flag in the PQ does not say they are corrected, implying that they are the original coordinates.

If you want the Original Coordinates and the Corrected Coordinates and the "IsCorrected" flag, do not use a Pocket Query; use the API to refresh the caches.

Thanks Spurges,

I have been following this same procedure for the last two years. I correct the coordinates on the website. Then I either fetch or refresh the cache information (via the API,) whichever is applicable. Now that has stopped working. I only tried the PQ because the normal method did not work. I only care about having the corrected coordinates in the device. Michael

You're right, something has changed with the API. I use CacheSense myself and going through the API, corrected coordinates would get automatically updated if I downloaded something directly or refreshed a cache List. Not today. GSAK is not a part of my typical workflow, so that does not apply to me. Interesting.... The cache downloaded directly and has my cache notes, and it downloaded more logs when I asked it to, so the API is definitely working. But it's not reflecting the corrected coordinates now. There has been no change to CacheSense, so it's something going on with the API. I hope it's not permanent.

Thanks JohnCNA,

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with the problem.

I think I just solved part of the problem. I downloaded a PQ into GSAK that I had previously corrected a puzzle coordinate. The puzzle cache showed the corrected coordinates, but not the 'corrected' icon. When went to use the API refresh, it told me that my token had expired and prompted me to renew it. I did so. Then when I used the API to refresh the caches in the database, it updated that puzzle cache to show that it had been corrected.

Downloaded the same PQ into CacheSense. It shows the original coordinates. I had it refresh the cache description but it still shows the original coordinates, not the corrected coordinates. I deauthorized the API access in CacheSense and reauthorized it. Refreshed again. No change. It appears that the problem is with CacheSense.

Update: While testing alternate methods of getting "corrected coordinates" to show up in CacheSense I tried the "Virtual GPS" function on the ProjectGC live map. Making sure that the "use corrected coordinates" box is checked and that the cache data had just been refreshed I see that the corrected coordinates for the solved puzzles are not showing up there either. The puzzles that I was looking at have been solved for some time and the corrected coordinates are already on my device. My sense is that something in the operation of the "Live API" has changed and I wish someone would fix it.

Thanks, Michael

I can see that posting problems here is total waste of time!

Two things:

• We've been assured that all discussions in this sub-forum are read, but TPTB have decided that responding to them leads to "unrealistic expectations". Silence doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't working on the problem. Often we don't get a response until the problem has been resolved.
  • It's currently the holiday season, and lots of people take time off. GSHQ is likely the same and there probably aren't many people at work this week. If you can be patient, they should have more manpower available in the new year and then they might be able to tackle this issue.

I found this problem in my own device recently. No problems with corrected coordinates from the day when this feature released - until now.

Failure seems to be dependent on some unknown parameters. Old caches works fine but new caches does not go right. I found this behaviour first time when I was hunting for FTF and the mobile device was my only source of the solved coordinates and the cache was still at the bogus on the map... :blink: Then I luckily found, that in these cases, when coordinates are not corrected, I can see an additional waypoint which is named "(null)". I can live with these null-waypoints but I hope this feature will be fixed to API at some day.

Is there any solution to this issue?

I have about 1/3 of the caches I go for are puzzles - so this is a major issue for me.

Has the API changed? Or the resultsaet for corrected coordinates? or how they are indicated in the resultset sent to the phone?

Please help - only workaround I have is to put the corrected coordinates in the Notes and manually add a waypoint to set the corrected coords for each cache 1 by 1 on my phone - quite a pain when going out on a puzzle cache run for 25 to 75 puzzle caches.

Thanks to arisoft and vpdj for their responses.

There seems to have been no action whatsoever on this problem. I am leaving on my first big geocaching trip of 2017 one week from today. I have solved 172 puzzle caches to look for. I have gone through many gyrations to get corrected coordinates loaded into the CacheSense app. Creating that many individual waypoints is a bit overwhelming. It takes multiple import/export operations between the ProjectGC VirtualGPS and GSAK to get the corrected coordinates loaded onto my device. It has always "just worked" from the time I started using CacheSense until this problem started. Some help from the people that can help would be very nice. Michael

I'm having the same problem. My solved puzzles are in a bookmark list with pocket query running from that and i still seem to be able to downloadthe PQ to my handheld GPS and have the correct coordinates. But it doesn't matter what I do I can't see them corrected in cache sense, until a couple of months ago I would update them on GC.com go to cache sense, refresh the screen and they'd be there. I've even resorted to trying c:geo which everyone I know swears by. Of the 485 caches in the PQ only 12 showed updated coords on the first attempt and just over 100 on the second. The fact I seem to be correct in my handheld device (the ones I've checked are ok) means I can go caching however if I need to switch to my phone for any reason I'm stuck. I also like to be able to set my tablet to show all caches that I am able to find at the same time to help with route planning on a bigger screen, especially important when planning a big trip as I am going next month and in a few months 2 weeks solid caching in a large area I'm not familiar with for a mega event

Cachesense is no longer being developed. The domain is no longer registered, and the forum has been deleted.

This I have just discovered, just before leaving on a long overseas trip.

Importing a PQ seems to include the corrected coordinates, but the app no longer sets the corrected flag. You can filter by the label from the PQ import though, so have a PQ which includes all your caches with corrected coordinates.

However, if you refresh the details, you go back to the original coordinates. This will happen if you view the cache details, so you essentially need to keep your phone offline.

An awful bunch of workarounds. Essentially, is time to ditch the app.