Garmin Communicator Plugin

rocksngrease

I am using OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 With Safafari.

When I attempt to send a geocache to my GPS I get a box that says, "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected. Download and install now.

But when I click Download and Install now, Garmin Communicator or latest plugin I get a page like this,

You have Communicator Plugin.

Up to Date, Version 4.2.0.0

Devices Detected

Colorado 400t

I really need this so I can load up and get out there, I really miss geocaching.

HELP

I have that same problem. I sent an email to Garmin. They suggested to download the GPX file to your computer and then drag the file to your GPS into the correct folder for Geocache's. This is an extra step, but is an workaround.

This has worked for myself which similar to loading pocket queries.

I have that same problem. I sent an email to Garmin. They suggested to download the GPX file to your computer and then drag the file to your GPS into the correct folder for Geocache's. This is an extra step, but is an workaround.

This has worked for myself which similar to loading pocket queries.

Thanks for sharing this workaround. A pain in the neck, but it works.

Same problem here... Looks to me like Groundspeak has to change something to their website to get things running again.

The plugin is installed (the Garmin test page says so, and I can see the plugin installed in the Safari Preferences under Security --> Plugins. So it is installed but for some reason de geocaching pages can't find it.

Looks to me like Groundspeak has to change something to their website to get things running again.

It's not a web site issue, except that the “Send To GPS” button is being removed little by little as site features get updated. Probably the reason that Groundspeak has not removed it entirely is because many cachers have no trouble with it on some older systems. Even cachers on certian modern web browsers today have reviewed the many, many threads on this Forum about this exact issue, and followed the instructions to get the button to work for now. They understand the risks, or else don't care about the risks.

Cachers can send GPX files without a plugin at all as they do with most any other files on any web site. Click the web link (in this case, “GPX File” on a cache page, the button that is labeled "GPX File"), place the file into the desired folder. No plugin required, no site update required. It works as always in modern browsers. Get familiar with not using “Send To GPS”. It is going away.

Plugins that use “NPAPI” are blocked by modern web browsers as a security risk:

https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/npapi

“Code running in an NPAPI plugin has the full permissions of the current user and is not sandboxed or shielded from malicious input”

Plugins in general are going away. Modern web browsers perform functions where practical that “plugins” once did.

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/

“Mozilla intends to remove support for most NPAPI plugins in Firefox by the end of 2016. Firefox began this process several years ago with manual plugin activation, allowing users to activate plugins only when they were necessary. This decision mirrors actions by other modern browsers, such as Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, which have already removed support for legacy plugins. Moreover, since new Firefox platforms do not have to support an existing ecosystem of users and plugins, new platforms such as 64-bit Firefox for Windows will launch without plugin support.”

Edited by kunarion

I have read several things about this problem with Garman communicator  it is very obvious in very clear that neither ground speak or Garman care to resolve this issue thank you very much ground speak for $30 a year fee person can't even use their GPS has to enter things manually jump through  hoops just to get a product worked the way it supposed to 

I am very frustrated with this it has been quite some time get on it get the fix I don't care if it's you or Garman you both look like idiots

your two products working in harmony will do a lot of good people using a cell phone are going to need your communicator very sad deal for the people at Garman the put them selves out of business because of them not being willing to work with you or are you with them instead of ground speak or Geocaching.com and Garman pointing fingers why don't you both just fix the problem I really don't care who's problem it is it affects both of you thank you very much Michael Kramer

1 hour ago, mike kramer said:

I have read several things about this problem with Garman communicator  it is very obvious in very clear that neither ground speak or Garman care to resolve this issue thank you very much ground speak for $30 a year fee person can't even use their GPS has to enter things manually jump through  hoops just to get a product worked the way it supposed to 

I am very frustrated with this it has been quite some time get on it get the fix I don't care if it's you or Garman you both look like idiots

your two products working in harmony will do a lot of good people using a cell phone are going to need your communicator very sad deal for the people at Garman the put them selves out of business because of them not being willing to work with you or are you with them instead of ground speak or Geocaching.com and Garman pointing fingers why don't you both just fix the problem I really don't care who's problem it is it affects both of you thank you very much Michael Kramer

Perhaps you need to reread those things, as the reason it doesn't work in modern browsers has nothing to do with Garmin or Groundspeak. It's because the NPAPI interface the plug-in uses to pass the information from the cache page to the GPSr is no longer supported by the browser. The only way to fix it would be to rewrite the whole thing from scratch using a supported interface, which is precisely what Garmin and Groundspeak have done with their new "Send to Garmin" function.

But you don't need any of that and you certainly don't need to manually enter the details into your device. Just click on the "GPX File" button (next to the "Send to GPS" one on the cache page) and save the GPX file directly to the Garmin\GPX folder on your device. With the appropriate browser settings, it doesn't even require any more steps than the old way did and completely cuts out the middleman.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Just click on the "GPX File" button (next to the "Send to GPS" one on the cache page) and save the GPX file directly to the Garmin\GPX folder on your device. With the appropriate browser settings, it doesn't even require any more steps than the old way did and completely cuts out the middleman.

Unfortunately, as was pointed out recently in another topic, that GPX button isn't available for Basic Members, which the user you were responding to is...

9 minutes ago, skramble said:
40 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Just click on the "GPX File" button (next to the "Send to GPS" one on the cache page) and save the GPX file directly to the Garmin\GPX folder on your device. With the appropriate browser settings, it doesn't even require any more steps than the old way did and completely cuts out the middleman.

Unfortunately, as was pointed out recently in another topic, that GPX button isn't available for Basic Members, which the user you were responding to is...

They did say "for $30 a year fee person can't even use their GPS" which made me think they were a premium member, but I stand corrected. It's been many years since I was a basic member but I'm sure back then I could get a .loc file from the cache page. Is that no longer the case?

Edit to add: according to this Help Centre page it still is.

Edited by barefootjeff
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

They did say "for $30 a year fee person can't even use their GPS" which made me think they were a premium member, but I stand corrected. It's been many years since I was a basic member but I'm sure back then I could get a .loc file from the cache page. Is that no longer the case?

Yes, but the LOC file is pretty dreadful. GC#, name and coords is basically all they get. No logs or hints. They could get the free version of GSAK, I think it allows for full data downloads of non-premium caches for basic users. I'm pretty sure a basic user I was tutoring in GSAK recently was able to do so.

Edited by skramble
syntax
2 minutes ago, skramble said:
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Yes, but the LOC file is pretty dreadful. GC#, name and coords is basically all they get. No logs or hints. They could get the free version of GSAK, I think it allows for full data downloads for basic users of non-premium caches, I'm pretty sure a basic user I was tutoring in GSAK recently was able to.

Yes, that was the main reason I took up premium membership at the time, but a .loc file was all "Send to GPS" ever got basic members when it was working so I don't know now what the complaint is.

Edited by barefootjeff
4 hours ago, mike kramer said:

IIRC, it's Browser security issues that caused this issue, having nothing to do with Garmin or Groundspeak.

I've entered caches manually since starting.   Easy really...

Only use notifications, and could really do without, but I believe that remaining pm helps Groundspeak a bit with allowing basic members free access to the site.  :)