hide a cache 2.0

TimenPatricia

Hi all,

When you go look for a good spot to hide a cache and you go to geocaching.com and put the coordinates in there you never see if its in conflict.

Is it a option to show red dots on solved caches (acount bounded) so if i have done all the caches in my town i see all the red dots not to put a cache there with my account.

Or at least tell me when i put coordinates in the site from the cache that i'm in conflict.

I like to place caches and sometimes a found really good places but theres a multicache end within 160 meters you dont see and really that sucks if you have a great spot..

Hope one of the developers will have a look to my request :)

regards,

Tim

We don't believe, that this is going to happen.

If the devs implement your suggestion, its going to be as simple as robbing a candy from a toddler, to battleship any Location, just by placing a false found log, battleship the locattion, and after that you'll just delete the log.

You might want to try a saturation check with your local reviewer, as its descibed here?

Have a nice weekend!

edit: fat finger syndrom

Edited by GerandKat

Hi all,

When you go look for a good spot to hide a cache and you go to geocaching.com and put the coordinates in there you never see if its in conflict.

Is it a option to show red dots on solved caches (acount bounded) so if i have done all the caches in my town i see all the red dots not to put a cache there with my account.

Or at least tell me when i put coordinates in the site from the cache that i'm in conflict.

I like to place caches and sometimes a found really good places but theres a multicache end within 160 meters you dont see and really that sucks if you have a great spot..

Hope one of the developers will have a look to my request :)

regards,

Tim

Not a very strong likelihood of getting implemented, like GrerandKat said, which I know sounds frustrating. A possible workaround, although perhaps not as spontaneous as you may like, is to ask for a coordinate check before placing the cache. Link for reference:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

If the devs implement your suggestion, its going to be as simple as robbing a candy from a toddler, to battleship any Location, just by placing a false found log, battleship the locattion, and after that you'll just delete the log.
One option that would not be susceptible to this attack would be to show saturation circles at the "edited coordinates" locations that the user has entered himself/herself.

That is, I couldn't log a (bogus) find on a puzzle cache and have a red circle appear. But I could solve the puzzle, enter the solution coordinates for the cache, and have a red circle appear.

It wouldn't help the non-puzzlers deal with puzzle caches. And it wouldn't do anything about puzzles you hadn't solved. And it wouldn't do anything about PMO caches if you're a basic member. And so on. But it would help avoid saturation conflicts with caches that the CO actually does know the location of.

One option that would not be susceptible to this attack would be to show saturation circles at the "edited coordinates" locations that the user has entered himself/herself.

I think this is what the OP was asking for. Essentially, to show red circles around listed coords if there are no corrected coords entered and around corrected coords if there are corrected coords. This would mean that the saturation map has to be created based on each cacher's account, instead of being based on a base map of cache locations.

Alternatively, are there any suggestions for how a cacher can create a 'saturation map' outside of the website? Does GSAK have a way of importing .gpx files and creating a map of 'red circles' around the cache coords in that .gpx? Or maybe something besides GSAK?

Alternatively, are there any suggestions for how a cacher can create a 'saturation map' outside of the website? Does GSAK have a way of importing .gpx files and creating a map of 'red circles' around the cache coords in that .gpx? Or maybe something besides GSAK?
A number of apps can create saturation circles. If you load a PQ with corrected coordinates into an app that does this...
A number of apps can create saturation circles. If you load a PQ with corrected coordinates into an app that does this...

Could you mention the names of such apps?

Could you mention the names of such apps?

Locus pro, C:geo on android.

I don't know for certain about GSAK but I would be amazed if it didn't have that ability - maybe via a macro.