Notifications to cache owner

Muskar

Hello,

I am a new cache owner, and I receive all Found/Not Found notifications in my mailbox, which is fine and exciting for the first cache, at least for the first days and weeks.

I intend now to hide a serie of 7 caches, and I would like to get only specific notifications to my mailbox (to avoid complete overflow), typically, "Maintenance needed". Is it possible, and how?

Thanks in advance!

Muskar

Most email providers allow several subaccounts with different email addresses at no charge. Why not have an email address that's used only for caching? Then your personal or business account inbox doesn't get overloaded.

A side comment is that difficult and remote caches get found less, so there's less email.

1413384978[/url]' post='5438693']

Even with over 30 caches, I don't get emails everyday. Sometimes I'll even go a week or two without anyone finding one of mine.

I doubt seven caches will lead to overflow by any means.

So true. We have 12 active caches and get maybe 1 email a week (now that most are old it's more like 1 email a month). The OP will get more in the first week after publication, but it will rapidly taper off.

Emails are an exciting part of the geocaching ownership experience. Geez, if you don't look forward to emails/feedback/alerts why plant?

Plant 7 fantastic caches that will provide some great comments for you to read via email. It'll give you something to look forward to. Don't plant same-old-same-old for-the-numbers caches that will provide you with lack lustre feedback like tnln, 'found it', ''that's one more find for me'.

Edited by L0ne.R

Yep.... you won't get many emails unless you put a lot of effort into building and hiding the most awesome cache then you might get a few more than usual.... until someone loves the idea and steals it, not just the idea but the entire cache. Even the best designed cache is only as good as the effort the last cacher made to put it back in it's place. Over time even you might be hard pressed to find it. If you care about your caches you'll want to know what's going on with them and visits them on occasion and restore them as you had originally intended.

I am a new cache owner, and I receive all Found/Not Found notifications in my mailbox, which is fine and exciting for the first cache, at least for the first days and weeks.

If you find the novelty has worn off after a few weeks of owning one cache, I'd like to know your motivation for wanting to hide even more. The logs are the reward for hiding a cache, at least to me. I want to know what people are experiencing when they find my caches, not just to know when they report a problem.

The type of caches that generate the most emails are also the ones that are going to require the most effort to properly maintain. At the risk of sounding blunt, if reading the email is too much effort than perhaps cache ownership isn't for you.

If you find the novelty has worn off after a few weeks of owning one cache, I'd like to know your motivation for wanting to hide even more. The logs are the reward for hiding a cache, at least to me. I want to know what people are experiencing when they find my caches, not just to know when they report a problem.

The type of caches that generate the most emails are also the ones that are going to require the most effort to properly maintain. At the risk of sounding blunt, if reading the email is too much effort than perhaps cache ownership isn't for you.

Amen ... ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I own over 200 caches and only receive a few logs each day. The e-notice contains the actual comment made and is easy to quickly scan for content and delete, or mark as important enough to go back to later if I am busy when I first see it.

As a CO it is VERY important to know what is happening with each cache site and container. Notifications are YOUR eyes and ears when you are not there. How blind and deaf do you want to be ??

My intention was to read all the logs, with the greatest pleasure and interest of course, via my owner's caches list instead of via my overloaded mailbox, except for some types of alerts... Sorry, I should have been clearer in the introduction to my question. Thanks to those who made constructive comments and feedback!

Personally, I use Gmail for my geocaching account. I started that account specifically for geocaching, and it also syncs with my personal email via a link/forwarding option.

So, yes, Gmail can filter certain emails to certain places. Some can be forwarded to another email account, others can be filtered from your Inbox off to a specific folder, etc.

Depending on what email server you use, I'd research how to filter emails via that outlet. It all varies based on provider...

That said, I tend to agree with the other sentiment--if you don't want the emails about your caches, best not to place them. Every single log type can help you maintain and stay connected to your caches, not just the NM or NA logs. Found it and DNF are just as important to see on a regular basis. Checking logs/email notifications regularly on your caches is the hallmark of a good cache owner (IMO)

I have out over 150 active caches and get the emails regularly and enjoy it. A NM log is usually long after the cache has problems. I like to get them all instantly as there has been times I have got a found it log stating there might be a problem with one and I happen to be going to drive by it later that day and can fix it up right away.

Personally, I use Gmail for my geocaching account. I started that account specifically for geocaching, and it also syncs with my personal email via a link/forwarding option.

So, yes, Gmail can filter certain emails to certain places. Some can be forwarded to another email account, others can be filtered from your Inbox off to a specific folder, etc.

Depending on what email server you use, I'd research how to filter emails via that outlet. It all varies based on provider...

That said, I tend to agree with the other sentiment--if you don't want the emails about your caches, best not to place them. Every single log type can help you maintain and stay connected to your caches, not just the NM or NA logs. Found it and DNF are just as important to see on a regular basis. Checking logs/email notifications regularly on your caches is the hallmark of a good cache owner (IMO)

Great, thanks for the tip of the filter option in Gmail account to a specific folder.

I have activated this, so all Geocaching emails are instantly available in their own folder for review!

Great, thanks for the tip of the filter option in Gmail account to a specific folder.

I have activated this, so all Geocaching emails are instantly available in their own folder for review!

Glad it was easy to set up. That was my experience as well. And...I love it! Keeps the Spam out, and the other emails filtered off to places for safe keeping. Pretty slick!