GGZ vs GPX

Pretty simple question, lol. What's the difference between the two formats? I use gsak's garmin macro to upload the caches. I always used GPX when uploading to the Colorado. I just started using a Montana, and was wondering if I should start using GGZ, and why?

Thanks!

For Oregon 600/650 and GPSMAP 64, you can use GGZ for a faster initial boot time. Older devices like the Montana 600/650 do not support that file format.

Ok, so I'll continue to use GPX for my Montana and start using GGZ for my fiance's Oregon. Is there any difference other than faster boot time?

In other words, is there any reason to use one over the other (in the Oregon)?

Edited by Mitragorz

GGZ is basically a ZIP compressed archive that has some metadata to help load it faster when it first indexes the caches on boot.If you throw 10,000 caches in a GPX file, it will take a lot longer on the first boot than if you throw 10,000 caches in a GGZ file. Garmin BaseCamp (last time I checked) won't read GGZ files, so that might be a reason to use GPX on the fiance's Oregon.

I had an issue with child waypoints if I used GGZ with my GPSMap 64s.

If I used GPX I could find child waypoints on the map and when I used GGZ there were no child waypoints visible.

You might want to test that before you make a long trip :)

I had an issue with child waypoints if I used GGZ with my GPSMap 64s.

If I used GPX I could find child waypoints on the map and when I used GGZ there were no child waypoints visible.

You might want to test that before you make a long trip :)

If exporting with Garminexport macro in GSAK you might want to export child WPs as POI's. That way POI's have their own category to select from (Parking, virtual...) and your WP list remains uncluttered. Added bonus is that you can customize the name of the WPs (i.e. WP01_cachename .

This brings a question: where do you get or generate a GGZ file of caches?

GSAK will do it. They needed to reverse engineer the format as Garmin did not publish specs, IIRC.

Garmin didn't officially publish them, but they did throw some selective hints to the low number of us that actually cared. I've only very recently started implementing it in GPSBabel (and am definitely finding things that don't work quite like those specs) but Clyde, Garmin, and I did work to get their support going.

It was less of a total reverse engineering exercise than in previous times that Garmin decided to go do their own thing.

GGZ is basically a zip file that contains an approximation of a .loc file (coords, cache name, container, size) with a few new elements (index into gpx for corresponding wpt open and close tags) that allows Garmin's inefficient XML reader to read a tiny, simple XML for an overview (search by name, splash points on a map) and then read the "big" content (cache description, logs) only after you've expressed non-passive interest in that specific record.

https://code.google.com/p/gpsbabel/source/detail?r=4994

Is that in ver 7.7.4.36 ?

I think you'd better upgrade to V8 as GSAK is now V8.5.1.42. The macro is V1.3.59.

You might find things not working as expected in the "ancient" V7.xxx as there have been a lot of changes (newer version of database, API,...)

Is that in ver 7.7.4.36 ?

I think you'd better upgrade to V8 as GSAK is now V8.5.1.42. The macro is V1.3.59.

You might find things not working as expected in the "ancient" V7.xxx as there have been a lot of changes (newer version of database, API,...)

Yeah, I've been wanting to but the older you get the more you don't like change.....my ver of GSAK runs perfectly.