New to Geocaching with severe vision problems

Charles68

I am a Cub Scout leader. I've never gone geocaching before, but the new program requirements for my Scouts include geocaching. While I still have to learn all the basics of geocaching for myself, I also have the added challenge that one of my Scouts has severe vision problems. He has great difficulty reading text smaller than 1" in height. He has an ipad that he could use. Since I don't have an ipad myself, I have no way of trying out an app for him. How easy would it be for someone with vision problems to use the geocaching app on an ipad? If it wouldn't work well, are there any good alternatives to the geocaching app? What he really needs is big text and an uncluttered screen. I was thinking that maybe I should print out the clues on paper and just have him use a simple gps app so that he can see the coordinates in very large numbers.

Other people will have GPS devices when we go so he's not going to have to find the cache all by himself. I do want him to get a good feel for how it works, though, on the off chance that he would ever want to go again.

iOS and Android devices have accessibility options built in. On Android, I can triple tap if I have the option to zoom in on the screen by quite a bit, and scroll with a two-finger drag.

I tried this with the geocaching app and was able to make the font quite big. I assume that the iOS geocaching app would work in the same way.

Basically - it should just work. The OS platform takes care of this already, and apps should behave nicely without any additional work.

As ChileHead mentioned, the text can be enlarged. But the compass page is the key. Whether you are using the app or a GPS, it is large, with an arrow that points you to the cache. It should be reasonably easy to see for someone with limited vision. Follow that arrow to the cache. 90 percent of the time all you really need is that compass.