confused about multicache

zibeli

Hi, I'm pretty new to this and today tried to find my first "multicache", GC3J0FT. I went to the coordinates at the head of that cache description, but didn't find any cache, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for. From a search of this forum, an earlier post indicated that those coordinates (posted at the head of the GC3J0FT description) should be for the first stage, which I assume means I should find a clue of some sort for stage 2 rather than the actual cache. What I don't understand is what form that clue should take: am I looking for another physical cache of some sort, with the clue inside, or for something else? There doesn't seem to be any detail about how the stages work in the cache description; is there a general approach for this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

It all depends on the multi cache. Some have a container, tag or some other physical device that has the coordinates for the next stage. Often it can be confusing because the size listed for the cache pertains to the final stage and the interim containers may be very small (aka micros) regardless of the size of the final container.

Others have what are called virtual stages. You may need to read a marker, count objects at the location and perhaps perform some sort of calculation from what you found to obtain the coordinates for the next stage. These multis with virtual stages will almost always have instructions on the page telling you what you need to do, so you will usually know if you have encountered one of these. The instructions may ask you things like "what is the last digit of the date", "how many letters are in the first word of the second paragraph of the sign?", "count the spokes on the wagon wheel" and will provide you with a formula to derive the coordinates for the next stage.

The former, with multiple containers (tags, etc), is the far more common version. There are other variations but you will rarely encounter them so I won't bother going into detail about them.

Hope this helps.

Judging from the cache page of GC3J0FT, it appears to be the type that has a physical container or other physical object placed by the cache owner. Search the area as if you were searching for a micro cache. It could also be a tag or piece of tape with the coordinates on it. Since the difficulty is only 2 for this one, I would suspect a container of some sort. Perhaps a film canister, magnetic key holder, Bison tube or small plastic food container.

briansnat, yes, very helpful, thank you much. As you noted, I was confused about the size indicator, and was looking for a larger container. Also, after reading all the older logs on the cache page (which hadn't been downloaded to my phone when I went looking), I'm thinking I might be looking more for something written than a container. Hopefully I'll get a chance to head back there while the good weather lasts!

Thanks again, Zibeli

Just wanted to thank you all for the pointers and let you know that I returned there today and this time found the clue at stage 1 right away. I'd actually noticed it my first time there, but since I was looking for a container I didn't realize what I was seeing and didn't pay enough attention. This time it was obvious, and stage 2 presented no problems. Thanks again!