Where can I buy this fake rock geocache?

wesmsl

Where can I buy this fake rock geocache? I could have sworn you Groundspeak sold it on their online store. It has the geocaching logo and says "Official Geocaching.com cache rock". I don't see it anymore... Is there another place I can buy one from?

I don't know, and I've been looking for months. They are far superior to the replacement that showed up in the store, which only qualifies as a micro (can fit a Bison, but that's about it). The rocks you're talking about are/were great - room for a log book, some geocoins, a TB, a little swag. I have a couple in the field in spots that would not support traditional containers, and I'm sad that if the containers ever go missing, I may have to archive the caches for lack of replacement supplies. I'm really sad that they were swapped out for micros in the store.

Consider this a HUGE vote for Groundspeak to start selling them again. Please.

wesmsl, if you find a store that still has some in stock I'd love it if you would contact me with the info. I'll be happy to do the same in return.

Some people, including myself, have used "rocks" from fakerock.com for geocaching. By doing an online search, I found a relatively large fake rock that was good enough to cover a good sized container that had to be placed within three feet of a trail. But some care is needed. A few fake rocks were purchased through ebay and placed around here, they looked good but disintegrated after a season or two.

Edited by mulvaney

Some people have used "rocks" from fakerock.com for geocaching. By doing an online search, I found a relatively large fake rock to cover a larger container that haf to be placed within three feet of a trail. But some care is needed. A few fake rocks were purchased through ebay and placed around here, but disintegrated after a season or two.

Yeah, I've gone through a number of alternatives, including ordering some stuff from fakerock.com. I like them and the service was good, but the items were more expensive and a little less robust - one of them broke when a cacher used his foot to try to force it back in place. Obviously he shouldn't have been stomping on it, so it's not like it's the fault of the manufacturer that the container broke, but I'm virtually certain that the Groundspeak rock wouldn't have broken in the same scenario.

It's been really hard for me to beat the original Groundspeak rock - hard plastic, held up really well in bad weather, a nice rubbery seal on the opening which kept rain and etc. out very well, and a huge cavity to store the cache contents. Plus they were a pretty reasonable price.

Osh hardware has the fake rocks. They are small about the size of your palm, for a key. They work pretty well and difficult to spot sometimes. Good luck
Yeah, those are basically what the new Groundspeak fake rocks are, but with a Bison tube in the compartment for the hidden key.
Worldcaching.com has a [url=http://www.worldcaching.com/fake-rock-cache-

That looks identical to what I got in the mail when I ordered the Groundspeak rock from a web site earlier this summer. All of the photos on the site were for the Groundspeak rock that the OP in this thread is looking for, but what arrived was the rock in the link quoted above. It's a totally different item - not waterproof, and way, way smaller than the Groundspeak rock. Definitely nothing more than a micro. Had to send them back.

There seem to be a lot of options for fake rocks that are basically micros, or glorified hide-a-keys. But I can't for the life of me find the original Groundspeak rock, anywhere.

I wish Groundspeak would bring it back!

There seem to be a lot of options for fake rocks that are basically micros, or glorified hide-a-keys. But I can't for the life of me find the original Groundspeak rock, anywhere.

I wish Groundspeak would bring it back!

+1 :)

I'm glad I bought two at the time to have one as a backup.

I've search around the web and at local garden stores but haven't found anything as good quality as the original fake rock.

You may be interested in this suggestion:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/7586...roundspeak-com-

This link isn't working for me... it keeps bringing me to the main Feedback page?
Are you signed in on the feedback site? When I am not signed in, I get redirected. When I am signed in, I get the suggestion page.
I'm not entirely sure what the problem was, but the link worked this morning even though I wasn't logged in. Weird. Have added my maximum votage; thanks.
The best ones that I have seen are homemade. :blink:
+1

Just get some concrete mix or tile grout...

I more or less have a couple of thoughts on this.

The first is that I think folks who fashion their own containers are borderline geocaching heroes. I love coming across a clearly hand-constructed cache, and it's sure to get an extra line or two of appreciation in my log. So from that perspective, I am totally on your side.

The second is that... sadly, I am not that guy. For starters I live in a typical New York apartment, so no garage, no workshop, no yard, and so on. When I spray paint one of my CP containers I have to go down to street level and hope that nobody reports me for tagging. Also? I am far more likely to cut my thumb off than to successfully craft a good container. And I say that even though the sharpest tool on the list might be glue :)

I do have a few homemade containers out there, and some day I hope to work my way up to more involved construction. I'd really like that. But in the meantime it's a bit like choosing between buying a nice holiday CD or learning to play the piano. Someday I'll try to get to the latter, but in the meantime...

Speaking on behalf of un-handy geocachers everywhere,

addisonbr

The best ones that I have seen are homemade. :blink:

+1

Just get some concrete mix or tile grout (which you can get in a variety of colors), mix it up and mold it around your container. You can roll it in local dirt as it is curing and it will look like a dirt clod.

I have seen some of those, they really do blend in quite well. I use a 1/2 inch concrete drill bit and native limestone or sandstone, then epoxy a bison tube inside. :)

Google turned up this link:

http://www.geocachingstuff.com/rockkit.html

I've no experience with store or product. Anyone tried it?

This looks very similar to model railroading kits for making rocks. I'm not sure these are 100% all weather worth. Below freezing temps, rain and snow might shorten the life of the creations.

The first is that I think folks who fashion their own containers are borderline geocaching heroes. I love coming across a clearly hand-constructed cache, and it's sure to get an extra line or two of appreciation in my log. So from that perspective, I am totally on your side.

The second is that... sadly, I am not that guy. For starters I live in a typical New York apartment, so no garage, no workshop, no yard, and so on. When I spray paint one of my CP containers I have to go down to street level and hope that nobody reports me for tagging. Also? I am far more likely to cut my thumb off than to successfully craft a good container. And I say that even though the sharpest tool on the list might be glue

Speaking on behalf of un-handy geocachers everywhere,

Well said! :)

Also, one of the things that's was nice about the old GS rock is it could hold, Geocoins, small trade items and TB's.

Edited by ekitt10