GC1D Disabled

J Grouchy

Oldest Georgia cache has been disabled for a time due to an influx of cachers coming through the neighborhood. The 'Going Caching' mega has brought a fair amount of folks from out of town seeking this very old cache, but the traffic has upset the locals. The HOA where the cache is located has asked the CO to disable it, which was done...and then someone logged it found. That led to this response:

This cache is temporarily disabled by request of the HOA.

It is not ok to search this cache at this time.

This cache is allowed to be here by the kindness of the HOA.

Disabled is Disabled.

But I know Geocachers will do whatever they want, because they feel entitled to do whatever they want with no regard for the consequences. "Who cares if the cache gets archived... I got my find."

I am pulling the log book till I am given the ok to enable the cache.

I shouldn't have to go to all this trouble - but in order to keep the cache from being archived I have to.

Maybe it's time for this cache to go.

Any further posts will be deleted.

So it was found a day after being disabled by cachers visiting the area, I think the CO way over reacted, when I travel my cache data can be a week old.

I agree. He is probably fighting to keep the cache from being archived, and a little hot headed, and not thinking the situation through.

If it was me, I probably would remove the whole cache for now; as well as delete logs. Removing the log will just result in someone being helpfull, and putting in a replacement log. I realize that removing the cache will likley result in a ThroughDown, but realy, what more can you do.

So it was found a day after being disabled by cachers visiting the area, I think the CO way over reacted, when I travel my cache data can be a week old.

I agree. He is probably fighting to keep the cache from being archived, and a little hot headed, and not thinking the situation through.

If it was me, I probably would remove the whole cache for now; as well as delete logs. Removing the log will just result in someone being helpfull, and putting in a replacement log. I realize that removing the cache will likley result in a ThroughDown, but realy, what more can you do.

Removing the cache wouldn't stop folks with old data from going to the location, which is the problem they're having right now.

It's one advantage smartphone's have and one reason I quickly gave up on using a GPSr device...the data can become outdated before you get there. In urban and suburban areas, things can change pretty quickly and not being current can be more of a problem than you realize.

Just because a cache is disabled or even archived does not mean it can't be found and logged. Someone can still find it, add a piece of paper with their signature and it is a valid find. You could remove the container but then someone would do a throwdown. You might be shoveling against the tide here.

Deleting a log would violate guidelines and be reinstated if appealed.

Edited by Walts Hunting

And a bunch of folks looking for a cache that isn't there is oging to cause more damage and raise more concerns than just making a quick find and moving on.

You're not going to stop people from looking for the cache if their data is out of date unless, maybe, you put up a sign near GZ saying that the cache has been disabled and removed at the request of the HOA. Even at that there may still be a few who will still look.

I think it might have been useful for the CO to provide the explanation when she disabled the cache, rather than waiting until someone logged it. It wouldn't help those with obsolete data, but I think a "I have disabled this cache at the request of the HOA" would hold more weight than "temp disable..." for those with current data.

I feel bad for the people who logged the Find that set off the rant since there is a real possibility they had no idea they were doing anything wrong.

Hate to say this and I know I will be flamed, however if it is this much of a problem maybe this caches time has come. I know when I found it I was very surprised it was still there as it is very close to several houses.

When it is re-enabled, there will be a influx of seekers again.

Hate to say this and I know I will be flamed, however if it is this much of a problem maybe this caches time has come. I know when I found it I was very surprised it was still there as it is very close to several houses.

When it is re-enabled, there will be a influx of seekers again.

Maybe it is time for the cache to be archived...

Agreed.....once mine was a month old.

I think the problem here are the masses brought by the Mega. Its O.K. for mobs to do most power trails but for other caches, especially classic ones , its horrible. Nothing worse than a trampling, attention drawing mob at a cache site.

Here is a novel idea, have a mega but no actual caching. Have fun, eat, and socialize with folks you may never see again.....but no, the area must be blanketed with caches. When I attend an event I don't care if I don't find one cache, I like to meet the people. Shortly though, we're all alone as everyone left to get the caches....it is what it is.

Again, the problem was the Mega.

Agreed.....once mine was a month old.

I think the problem here are the masses brought by the Mega. Its O.K. for mobs to do most power trails but for other caches, especially classic ones , its horrible. Nothing worse than a trampling, attention drawing mob at a cache site.

Here is a novel idea, have a mega but no actual caching. Have fun, eat, and socialize with folks you may never see again.....but no, the area must be blanketed with caches. When I attend an event I don't care if I don't find one cache, I like to meet the people. Shortly though, we're all alone as everyone left to get the caches....it is what it is.

Again, the problem was the Mega.

Funny thing is the Mega isn't anywhere near this cache. The Mega is this weekend in Rome...probably a two hour drive from this cache.

I don't really see the traffic on the cache page, but perhaps it's one of those things where a bunch of folks go find it and then don't log it online until they get home a few days or a week later.

Probably would have helped if the disabled log said more than "Temp disable..."

Caches get disabled for a lot of reasons. If you are disabling it at the request of the property owner, you should state that and ask for people to not seek the cache during the time it is disabled.

You should also realize that few people read the listings anymore. A lot of cachers are working off of pq's or apps and looking at only the coordinates; especially on an easy traditional.

Probably would have helped if the disabled log said more than "Temp disable..."

Caches get disabled for a lot of reasons. If you are disabling it at the request of the property owner, you should state that and ask for people to not seek the cache during the time it is disabled.

You should also realize that few people read the listings anymore. A lot of cachers are working off of pq's or apps and looking at only the coordinates; especially on an easy traditional.

One thing is that the Apps don't require you to 1. read a description, 2. read recent logs, and/or 3. change the fact that the cache is still there to be found.

The risk of a throwdown is increased at any "desirable" cache site--be it the ET highway, or an "oldest cache in 'X'" cache. People who want a cache for a specific or sentimental reason will more often than not be the person to place a throwdown, or even visit a cache during closed hours or when disabled at a request of owner or land manager.

So, the only reason this cache lives on is for the sentimentality of the "old" cache. This whole cache's "age and tenure is a trump card to archival" really chaps my hide. If a cache is creating undue attention or unwanted traffic, it should be moved or archived. Let the flame war commence.

So, the only reason this cache lives on is for the sentimentality of the "old" cache. This whole cache's "age and tenure is a trump card to archival" really chaps my hide. If a cache is creating undue attention or unwanted traffic, it should be moved or archived. Let the flame war commence.

Doesn't chap but yes, i've never understood the mentality that an old cache be kept going "no matter what".

Just because a cache is disabled or even archived does not mean it can't be found and logged. Someone can still find it, add a piece of paper with their signature and it is a valid find. You could remove the container but then someone would do a throwdown. You might be shoveling against the tide here.

Surely deleting a log if you've previously removed the cache would be entirely within guidelines. If the cache page says "the cache has been removed. Do not look for it." then anyone leaving a throwdown deserves to have their log deleted, and anyone finding the throwdown clearly didn't find the cache as placed by the CO.

Surely deleting a log if you've previously removed the cache would be entirely within guidelines. If the cache page says "the cache has been removed. Do not look for it." then anyone leaving a throwdown deserves to have their log deleted, and anyone finding the throwdown clearly didn't find the cache as placed by the CO.

Additionaly, adding a piece of paper with their signature is not the same thing as signing the log. GS would not (IMHO) reinstate a log in this situation.

Doesn't chap but yes, i've never understood the mentality that an old cache be kept going "no matter what".

I generally agree with that sentiment...but to my knowledge this one is well-maintained and has appropriate permissions. There is no reason TO archive it unless, as a result of the recent influx, the HOA decides it needs to go.

I am aware that there are some people that hold no sentimentality towards old caches. There are, however, a lot of people that do like to find those older caches, and if the opportunity presents itself would seek out a cache with a 4 character GC code simply because they are so rare. In this case, both the cache owner and the HOA where it's located are just trying to *temporarily* limit traffic. Once the event is over, the CO will continue to maintain the cache and the HOA will continue to allow the cache exist (at which point in would not be creating undue attention or unwanted traffic). But there are a few that insist on finding it when it's disabled, even though the land manager has asked that it be made temporarily unavailable, and potentially put the cache in jeopardy of anyone else that might travel to Georgia in the future of finding it.

My comment addressed disabled or archived and said nothing about removal. If is removed then the log could be deleted.

I am aware that there are some people that hold no sentimentality towards old caches. There are, however, a lot of people that do like to find those older caches, and if the opportunity presents itself would seek out a cache with a 4 character GC code simply because they are so rare. In this case, both the cache owner and the HOA where it's located are just trying to *temporarily* limit traffic. Once the event is over, the CO will continue to maintain the cache and the HOA will continue to allow the cache exist (at which point in would not be creating undue attention or unwanted traffic). But there are a few that insist on finding it when it's disabled, even though the land manager has asked that it be made temporarily unavailable, and potentially put the cache in jeopardy of anyone else that might travel to Georgia in the future of finding it.

Easy with the piling on.

I said "the only reason this cache..." meaning the above examples where you cut my quote. I was talking about other "old" or "historic" caches in general.

I am perfectly aware that this cache has permission from the HOA and is maintained well. (Clearly, if the owner had the foresight to disable to prevent traffic suspicions! Good on ya!) However, let's be honest, if the cache is creating any unwanted traffic beyond this preventative measure, and the HOA and cache owner are aware of it, perhaps it should be moved or archived. Undoubtedly, however, the owner and others in the area have a level of sentimentality for this hide that is rooted in its low GC number and old hide date. That sentimentality can cloud what would otherwise be a more cut and dry example for a cache to be moved or archived. (Again, speaking generally)

The cache mentioned in the OP is fine! Keep up the good work of being involved, proactive, and careful with your cache, cache owner!

Easy with the piling on.

I said "the only reason this cache..." meaning the above examples where you cut my quote. I was talking about other "old" or "historic" caches in general.

I wasn't trying to pile on and I'm quite aware of how often that happens in this forum. I was also addressing other old and historic caches in general. I agree that the age of a cache shouldn't trump archival of a cache if there is a reason why it should be archived. However, I disagree with notion that sentimentality towards an very old cache should be ignored completely just because and other vocal forum members don't care. A lot of people do enjoy seeking out old caches. Even it requires a little tolerance to get through a temporary condition, I think the potential enjoyment that can be had for years to come for those that enjoy that aspect of the game is worth it.

I am perfectly aware that this cache has permission from the HOA and is maintained well. (Clearly, if the owner had the foresight to disable to prevent traffic suspicions! Good on ya!) However, let's be honest, if the cache is creating any unwanted traffic beyond this preventative measure, and the HOA and cache owner are aware of it, perhaps it should be moved or archived. Undoubtedly, however, the owner and others in the area have a level of sentimentality for this hide that is rooted in its low GC number and old hide date. That sentimentality can cloud what would otherwise be a more cut and dry example for a cache to be moved or archived. (Again, speaking generally)

The cache mentioned in the OP is fine! Keep up the good work of being involved, proactive, and careful with your cache, cache owner!

From what I read it appeared that the cache owner has tried to be careful with their cache, and some cachers felt that getting a find while it was disabled trumped the possibility that their actions might cause the cache to be archived and result in no one else ever having the opportunity to find it.

Easy with the piling on.

I wasn't trying to pile on and I'm quite aware of how often that happens in this forum. I was also addressing other old and historic caches in general. I agree that the age of a cache shouldn't trump archival of a cache if there is a reason why it should be archived. However, I disagree with notion that sentimentality towards an very old cache should be ignored completely just because and other vocal forum members don't care. A lot of people do enjoy seeking out old caches. Even it requires a little tolerance to get through a temporary condition, I think the potential enjoyment that can be had for years to come for those that enjoy that aspect of the game is worth it.

From what I read it appeared that the cache owner has tried to be careful with their cache, and some cachers felt that getting a find while it was disabled trumped the possibility that their actions might cause the cache to be archived and result in no one else ever having the opportunity to find it.

You and I agree more than this exchange would let on.

I mention "sentimentality" because if it isn't addressed and others aren't aware of the blinders they might be wearing, it can result in poor judgement. Being overly bleeding-heart about an old or "historic" cache can cloud what can be very cut and dry. I've encountered this a few times when working on new cache placements, adoptions, and NM/NA logs I've posted. If a response from an owner, other cachers, or a Reviewer start their case with, "it's a historic/old cache", it's already gone too far. If the objective case for cache archival is clear based on the guidelines, the subjective "it's old/historic" argument is moot and irrelevant.

Again, this isn't related to this cache specifically, but it good to keep in mind when looking at a case for/against old/historic cache issues. The case here is clear to me that things are just fine (permission granted for the hide, involved and active cache owner, clear attempts by the owner and community to keep it on the up-and-up with the HOA, adherence to the guidelines, e.g.). It can be kept in mind that, if the greater caching membership community can't be counted on to have the same respect for the cache, the owner may need to consider alternatives to the approach already taken.

There are, however, a lot of people that do like to find those older caches, and if the opportunity presents itself would seek out a cache with a 4 character GC code simply because they are so rare.

Goodness, I own/manage 49 caches that have 4 characters or less. Now I feel old. Actually, there are a lot of lower GC codes in my area (not just mine), so if anyone is into old caches, you know where to visit! :laughing:

There are, however, a lot of people that do like to find those older caches, and if the opportunity presents itself would seek out a cache with a 4 character GC code simply because they are so rare.

Goodness, I own/manage 49 caches that have 4 characters or less. Now I feel old. Actually, there are a lot of lower GC codes in my area (not just mine), so if anyone is into old caches, you know where to visit! :laughing:

I believe he meant 4 chars including the "GC".

I believe he meant 4 chars including the "GC".

Haha, I just realized that myself. :laughing: Closest I have is 5 characters.

Too late now... Not enough warning ahead of time. I am sure many people got that cache on their GPS or GSAK.

Yup. I think that most geocachers would respect that the cache is disabled and why, but you know how some are and this is a old cache that would be on many cachers to do list. :anibad:

If it's on the to-do list for a cacher that found it while it was disabled, it is probably on the to do list of a lot of other cachers that might not be able to able to attend the event and hope to visit the area some time in the future. Knowingly seeking a cache that is disabled at the request of the land manager puts the cache in jeopardy for anyone else that might have the cache on their to do list.

Can it be moved somewhere else?

Preferably within 528 feet, because if it's moved far it's not really the *same* cache.

The closest parking lots are association lots (for the pool or tennis courts). The cache is very close to someone's back yard. It's accessed through a nicely manicured nature area for residents, and behind some "Residents Only" signs. It may be tough to move it to an acceptable place and still be within 528 feet.

I found this cache last winter and as I was driving into the area I had a jump in the anxiety level. The area is somewhat up-scale and I felt considerable angst.

I expressed the opinion "Is this right-and should we even be here"

The entire situation seemed to be inviting a quick visit from the local LEO group and or private security.

Fortunately we were a party of two and were arriving at a "decent early hour" rather than "0-Dark-Thirty"

I was most relieved when we left the area ... talk about feeling out of place.

Although this situation is unfortunate. I can readily see individuals arriving in the region with an old database loaded into the Electronic Tupperware Sniffer and being unaware of new information.

Perhaps caches as sensitive as this should "Go Dark" three to four weeks ahead of a major event in a region. ***GO AHEAD THROW THE FLAMES*** I am wearing my Nomex.

Perhaps it might minimize a"Geo-Parade"

It's not going to last forever. It's a buried 5 gallon bucket only a few feet outside of someone's backyard split rail fence, only 100 feet or less from their back door. I believe the original owner lived there and adopted it out when they moved away. The person who lives there now might tolerate it, but only up to a certain point.

It's one location that I an see someone filling up with cement. :ph34r:

Wow. Am I the only person who scrolled to the first few logs? Several people in 2001 expressed reservations about this cache location. As a matter of fact, the 2nd seeker ever posted a note saying he didn't feel comfortable with the location, and left without finding the cache.

Fast forward 13 years, and it's one of the most coveted cache locations in America? While scrolling through all those logs, I saw cachers from all over the U.S. (and Canada), who most likely go hundreds of miles out of their way for this cache, a June 2000 placement.

Personally, with all that traffic, I think it's on life support, and it's days are numbered.

A little offtopic, but here is a prime behavior of cachers finding caches that are disable. ( i am sure all of them did it in good faith)

http://coord.info/GC155CR

I found it... one day before it was disable. :ph34r: It was the CO fault here... he gave us no time to know about that area. All those geowoodstocker was hamming that cache and made a geotrail! :blink: The GoApe event was on the 2th of July. Same day I found it.

Edited by SwineFlew

Although this situation is unfortunate. I can readily see individuals arriving in the region with an old database loaded into the Electronic Tupperware Sniffer and being unaware of new information.

Perhaps caches as sensitive as this should "Go Dark" three to four weeks ahead of a major event in a region. ***GO AHEAD THROW THE FLAMES*** I am wearing my Nomex.

Perhaps it might minimize a"Geo-Parade"

This is exactly what should have happened.

When people are planning a trip to an event like this, you should plan to have the cache disabled in PQ's at least a week out.

I understand the CO's frustration, but the fault is with him not foreseeing this issue in time. You can't blame cachers that probably had no idea there was a problem.

Wow. Am I the only person who scrolled to the first few logs? Several people in 2001 expressed reservations about this cache location. As a matter of fact, the 2nd seeker ever posted a note saying he didn't feel comfortable with the location, and left without finding the cache.

Fast forward 13 years, and it's one of the most coveted cache locations in America? While scrolling through all those logs, I saw cachers from all over the U.S. (and Canada), who most likely go hundreds of miles out of their way for this cache, a June 2000 placement.

Personally, with all that traffic, I think it's on life support, and it's days are numbered.

Once someone finally said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...its too late. Especially when it come to oldies. There are alot of prime oldies in GA and people are doing a loop style or something of finding many of them when they are in GA for the Jasmer Challenge. I did it myself and did a good chuck of them when I was in that general area, but not that cache since I got that mouth/year for my Jasmer challenge. Those oldies in that general area get like a find every two days or so. :blink: Thats enough to get people all upset about traffic. I know many people PLAN a trip to GA to find that extremely rare AUG/2000 cache and while they are there, they try to find all the other semi rare one as well. (I know I did!) Make sense to do a loop stye or something to bag them all.

Perhaps a full month before the event they should have changed the coords 500 feet to a magnetic key holder underneath a sewer grate out front, then a few days after it's over, change them back. I'd hate to say it, but ironically mega and giga events are not the best thing for many area geocaches. If there was one very close to here, I just might archive several hides and have them unarchived after it was over. The current CO is certainly not out of line as the entire area is posted, and visitors to the cache are only at the convenience and mercy of the HOA. Being that close to the back of a muggle's house, geocachers should behave respectfully, as their find is not nearly important as the wishes of the people in the area.

Perhaps a full month before the event they should have changed the coords 500 feet to a magnetic key holder underneath a sewer grate out front, then a few days after it's over, change them back. I'd hate to say it, but ironically mega and giga events are not the best thing for many area geocaches. If there was one very close to here, I just might archive several hides and have them unarchived after it was over. The current CO is certainly not out of line as the entire area is posted, and visitors to the cache are only at the convenience and mercy of the HOA. Being that close to the back of a muggle's house, geocachers should behave respectfully, as their find is not nearly important as the wishes of the people in the area.

Being that smiley count is so important these days, most people wouldn't have any problem logging this key holder 500 feet from the posted coordinates. For me though, it just wouldn't fly as i would know that i didn't find the cache.

Hopefully things will settle down and the cache can be enabled again soon. Until then, cachers that know about the disablement should stop being so greedy and stay away.

It's a buried 5 gallon bucket

Can't be. Geocaches are never buried.

Oh, except if they're 14 years old.

Cache page says it's a "TEN gallon screw top white bucket buried". :anitongue:

Looks to be in a poor choice of locations near someone's home. :unsure:

Even being 14 years old, I still thought buried caches were against the guidelines and would be archived for that reason alone. Looks like the golden rule is in effect again. :laughing:

It's a buried 5 gallon bucket

Can't be. Geocaches are never buried.

Oh, except if they're 14 years old.

Correct. The first ever cache was buried, and this one predates Geocaching.com as well. I think about 60 caches did, who knows how many were buried. Mingo was buried. A may 2000 cache I found was NOT buried. Anywho, I don't know here. I think the original owner lived in this housing development, and from the early logs, it does not appear in the house whose backyard they cache is just behind. Think about it for a second, it was probably about the 30th cache in the entire world. It was found less than 40 times by the end of 2001 (i.e. after 1 1/2 years). I'm not thinking the HOA knows they're hosting a highly coveted "Jasmer Target" that would go on to be found 1,000 times.

I can't believe any HOA anywhere allows any cache, let alone this one. I'm just sayin'. :lol:

Who knows though, the local reviewer or Geocaching organization could work with them on keeping it going. Good luck with that though. :ph34r:

I just finished a write note on the Cache Page for the cache in question and something "GOBSMACKED" me as they say over the pond.

*** I wonder if there is the possibility that this was sought out by those folks playing via the "App World" ***

Not that there is anything wrong with "App Cachers", however ...

I had a group of Middle School Students roll up on on of my caches a few weeks ago. Loud, mouthy disrespectful kids who left candybar wrappers all over the property. They were not members of the caching community and were operating of an APP as part of a class project.

Their actions left a sour taste in the mouths of those who are hosting my cache. American Legion and VFW Building, 14th and J. in Arcata, Calif.

Edited by humboldt flier