cant find cache

That is rated a 3 on difficulty and is a micro, probably not the best cache to start with.

It also looks like it needs maintenance on a frequent basis.

You really should contact the Cache Owner in the same you contacted me (you can click on their name at the top of the cache page) for hints.

We can (and should) only give you general hints.

Well, two things:

1. The cache is a micro, and may be harder for you to find, as you're just getting used to the game with 2 finds so far. Stick to bigger caches (Small/Regular sizes) with lower difficulty and terrain ratings for a while.

2. The cache does have 2 "Needs Maintenance" logs before the last "Found it" log. There is a chance the cache is not there, or is damaged and not recognizable.

I'd ignore it for now, and go back after another 10-15 caches are under your belt. You can also email the owner to ask about the cache if you need help. They don't have to answer, and they don't have to give up the location, but at least you can try to reach out to them if you're struggling. That's actually how you'll learn a lot about this game--ask! :anibad:

Try looking at the gallery images, but be warned. It is a dead give-a-way. Plus, it seems to be broken? or wet? Not sure if it is in place or not.

Oh! And it should be noted that this type of cache might not be one for the OP to put out once they do find it and say, "Wow, that was neat!" without knowing the guidelines very well, and knowing how their specific local Reviewer handles such hides as new cache submissions... :anicute:

Hey Space, go across the street and find the Water Tower. That looks to be a decent size container and much easier to find. Head on up to Hartwick Pines and spend a day hiking around in the park. Plenty of good caches in there. At one time I had my GPSr loaded with caches up your way, but alas, sadly, I no longer get up that way once a month [;)]. There are a few easier ones on Old 27 on the way to Frdereick as well. Looks like most of the ones on the bike path are gone. There used to be a bunch.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

A common recommendation for beginners <snip>
You must have this saved somewhere to cut and paste! :laughing: Good work! It's a great set of notes to remind new players about how to "go easy" when they start out.
Yeah, I've got a few FAQ responses saved where I can copy-paste them as needed. Saving them also helps me refine them over time.