Lost Trackables Final Resting Place

Blakeandjamie

I see just about every TB Hotel or cache big enough to hold a few TB's always has a bunch that are MIA

Has anyone ever considered creating GC (maybe at GC HQ coordinates) where these "dead" trackables can be dropped off , as a way to sort of clean things up ?

Often times I think the owners of the TB / GC are inactive so these things just stay alive forever, it'd be cool to have a place to drop them off so to speak

But only an owner can mark it as missing... what if both the cache owner and the Trackable owner are inactive?

the advantage of a graveyard is that it could be virtually placed

No, not only an owner--any GS lackey or volunteer can do it. You just have to ask.

Yep.

In fact, one of the Reviewers in our area looks at hides that have long-gone trackables on occasion, and marks 'em missing without asking. :)

There has been an ongoing discussion thread in "Bug Reports and Feature Discussions > Website" since November 2011.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=284690&st=0 - (System to remove "ghost" trackables from cache inventories)

It appears that GS sadly has NO intention of EVER doing anything to resolve the problem. It's a fairly long read, but worth the time to see where this been, gone and going ... ultimately .... nowhere ... :(

The owner of thegeocache where the trackable is listed can mark the trackable missing too.

link

That option was covered above. There are many times that the Trackable Owner (TO) AND the Cache Owner (CO) are missing.

Yes, a reviewer can also do it, and I have asked for it to be done only a few times. The reviewers have enough to do already when GS could (and should) easily fix the issue !!

I didn't realize reviewers can do it too... is there a way to report a trackable so that it pops up for them, or must I hunt down the local person and send a PM ?

As an alternative I suppose I could put the TB in my own cache, and then mark it MIA, don't know if Groundspeak would get grumpy about a whole bunch of things being cycled through my cache though, it might look like I was disappearing them into my own private collection

The other issue, of course, is that many of us cache from our phones... trackable items are already dificult to deal with while on a mobile device... navigating the owners / private messages ect while out hunting is a huge pain in the butt.

It should be easy to report something as missing so that the community can help keep things tidy, when it's a pain no one wants to do anything -- then we end up with dozens of items cluttering things up forever.

I didn't realize reviewers can do it too... is there a way to report a trackable so that it pops up for them, or must I hunt down the local person and send a PM ?

As an alternative I suppose I could put the TB in my own cache, and then mark it MIA, don't know if Groundspeak would get grumpy about a whole bunch of things being cycled through my cache though, it might look like I was disappearing them into my own private collection

No way I know of for it to be an 'auto pop-up' for a reviewer. To find a reviewer, I usually look at the reviewer name who published the cache originally.

When a coin is missing, you don't have access to the ID number, just the TB# and you cannot take any movement actions without the ID number on the coin. Wouldn't be possible for you to retrieve or place the coin anywhere ...