Garmin eTrex vs Geocaching Iphone app

gd5583

Hi

I am a relatively new geocacher and I have been using the iPhone app (premium version) and haven't had too many difficulties with it. The only issues are its accuracy (sometimes upto 15-20 feet out) and the fact that it relies heavily on using mobile data to load the maps, so in areas with no mobile data coverage the map overlay loads up very slowly. It also uses my monthly data allowance up rather quickly.

I have been thinking about purchasing a proper GPS device and I have been looking at the Garmin eTrex range, mainly as these are at the lower end of the price scale but all do support paperless geocaching. I am looking at either the eTrex 20 or eTrex 30. However I don't want to spend money on one if its no better than what I already have on the iPhone.

Has anyone used a Garmin eTrex device and is it worth buying one if I use the iPhone app or am I just duplicating the same features I already have access to?

I would however recommend a Dakota 20 over the eTrex series, mainly due to the touchscreen instead of a fiddly joystick.

If you want a touchscreen I wouldn't go for the Dakota ... it's a bit long in the tooth now :)

As for the Etrex joystick, I wouldn't describe it as 'fiddly', I find it ideal for geocaching even when wearing gloves.

I like the joystick for geocaching, hiking etc. However it is fiddly on the bike it's hard to push in when you are hitting bumps.

A couple of observations from someone who uses both the iPhone and a handheld GPS for caching:

-If you're considering a handheld GPS expecting a dramatic difference in accuracy vs. the iPhone, don't. In most situations your iPhone will get you just as close as a handheld. 15-20 feet is considered within the margin of error for any GPS device. No device is going to put you right on top of the cache with pinpoint accuracy....it will just get you to the general area.

You also have to consider that the coordinates provided in the cache description are only as good as the care taken by the hider. If his coordinates are 10 feet off (which is still pretty darn good), and your GPS gets you within 10 feet of those coordinates (again, pretty darn good), you can still be 20 feet or more from the actual cache.

If battery life and durability of the device is a concern, then the handheld GPS wins hands down. But the difference in accuracy is not that noticeable.

-In areas with spotty or no cellular reception, did you know that your iPhone GPS function does not require data to work? However, you will have had to save the cache info in the app before venturing out, since you won't be able to look them up without data. But if you have then saved in the app (along with the maps for that location), you can access them that way.

-Whether using a stand-alone device or a smart phone, learn to use Pocket Queries if you haven't already. This is a useful feature available to you as a Premium member of Geocaching.com. With Pocket Queries you can download hundreds of caches at a time to either you phone app or your handheld GPS. Beats saving them one at a time.

As far as which device to buy, I don't think you'd go wrong with either the Etrex 20 or 30. However, if you want an experience that's a little closer to what you're used to on the iPhone, you might consider a touch screen model. I have an older model Oregon, which I like, but I've played with one of the new Oregons and the touch screen interface is so much smoother, and better resolution.

I've been experimenting over the last few months with my smart phone vs my eTrex30. Okay, there's no attributes with my GPSr and I can't log my find at GZ, but the number one headache for me with the smart phone is being unable to see that darn screen. I've maximized the brightness and cupped my hands around the screen (which keeps flipping from landscape to profile....I think, if I could see it clearly) but my eTrex, hands down, blows my phone away in this department. So, lately, I've been locating caches in a particular area via the phone and manually entering the co-ord numbers into my eTrex. Logging I still prefer to do in the evening on my PC. I agree, BTW, that the thumbstick works well and poses no problem for me.