Montana 600 & MapSource - Can't Download Waypoints

kb6ooc

I added two waypoints while driving to various places yesterday and wanted to pull the waypoints from my Montana 600 and view them in MapSource (v6.16.3). Today, however, when I try and download waypoints, MapSource is saying, "The selected device has no waypoints on it". When I look at the Montana 600 itself, I see loads and loads of waypoints. I am able to download the current track, but not waypoints and not routes and not maps. I wonder if this was a bug introduced in a recent firmware update (I'm at v3.70) or if its just me.

That aside, anyone know what file contains the current waypoints? I could just grab that. I couldn't find anything obvious. In the "\Garmin\GPX" directory, there are loads of files. The most recent says, "Waypoints_29-DEC-11.gpx" but that only contains the 2 waypoints I added that day. Where are all the others?

Thanks for any help!

MapSource hasn't keep up with the newer Garmin handhelds and I think Garmin has discontinued working on the software. BaseCamp, on the other hand should work correctly with your Montana 600.

You're right about MapSource being stalled, but I had been using it quite successfully with my Montana 600. All the maps I have in the Montana were loaded from MapSource. I suspect its a local problem of my own but wanted to see if anyone else was having similar trouble.

I beleive its userdata.gpx that has all the waypoints in it.

I searched the Montana but don't see a userdata.gpx on mine. Hmmmmmm........

MapSource will send maps to the newer GPSs, but it will not recieve waypoints. The waypoints should be stored in the garmin\gpx with a date in the filename of the gpx file. You can open the gpx with the waypoints in MapSource. You can also download waypoints in BaseCamp and then export them to MapSource. With the new BaseCamp beta, I have now mostly switched to using BaseCamp.

MapSource will send maps to the newer GPSs, but it will not recieve waypoints. The waypoints should be stored in the garmin\gpx with a date in the filename of the gpx file. You can open the gpx with the waypoints in MapSource. You can also download waypoints in BaseCamp and then export them to MapSource. With the new BaseCamp beta, I have now mostly switched to using BaseCamp.

I see numerous files in garmin\gpx with a date in the filename of the gpx file. All those files have filenames that start with "Waypoints_" but each of them seem to have been created on a date when I added new waypoints to the Montana (in the field). They are all 2k files. None of them have the full set of waypoints that show up in the Montana Waypoint Manager.