The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

I am starting this thread so that us Coloradans have a place to chat on the geocaching.com forums. Feel free to talk about any general Colorado geocaching topics here.

Here are some other places on the web with Colorado geocaching forums:

Geocaching Colorado

Colorado Association of Cache Hunting Enthusiasts (C.A.C.H.E.)

Note: This is a second go at this thread. The previous thread went dead back in 2004 after several months. Maybe we can keep this one going.

I will get things started here.

My #3 series of off road caches was just approved this afternoon. It is a really fun run up to Georgia Pass from Breckenridge and then back down on the south side to route 285. Here are the caches:

1. Moose Meadow

2. Stream Junction

3. Cabin With a View

4. Another View at the Top

5. Valley View

6. Awesome Meadow

7. View Back at the Pass

This is one of the cool things you will see on the run:

885bc5fe-41d5-49ae-8e03-f61a29ea6fe9.jpg

Also, my #2 series is just a week old now. It is a bumpy run up to the top of Saxon Mountain above Georgetown and back:

1. Georgetown Lake View

2. Don't Look Down

3. Oh What a View

4. I Came Up That?

5. Window to the World

6. Pick a View

And don't forget to check out my #1 series that is a little to the south, just west of my stomping grounds here in Castle Rock:

1. Balanced Boulder

2. Granite Overlook

3. Pikes View

4. Fallen Aspen

5. Valley View

6. Pikes Grand View

Edited by RocketMan
What about San Diego....can we talk about San Diego????
Only if you are from Colorado. :blink:

Wow, those look like some GREAT series of caches!!!!

All of you Colorado cachers are very lucky to have Rocketman living there now!

His caches are always fun to do and have amazing swag in them.

Go Get 'Em !!!!

The Splashes :blink::blink:

Only if you are from Colorado. :blink:

Wow, those look like some GREAT series of caches!!!!

All of you Colorado cachers are very lucky to have Rocketman living there now!

His caches are always fun to do and have amazing swag in them.

Go Get 'Em !!!!

The Splashes :blink::blink:

RocketMan Rocks!

We miss him.

I ll be humbly glad to post the first "true" Coloradoan post. :huh::blink:

Plus just think a current thread of our very own...wow.

Welcome RocketMan!, :)

and yes we do feel honored with every CO Geocacher who enjoys geocaching,

we have a great group here.

(Just like Californians coming to Colorado and making it their own,

there goes the neighborhood, again. ;-P )

Edited by MrCOgeo
Only if you are from Colorado. :wub:

I'm "from" Colorado but I'm not "in" Colorado...does that count?

That's what the Californios said when I moved to San Diego. (I didn't have the heart to tell them that the neighborhood had already "gone" before I got here. :wub:)

Only if you are from Colorado. :cry:

I'm "from" Colorado but I'm not "in" Colorado...does that count?

Sure

That's what the Californios said when I moved to San Diego. (I didn't have the heart to tell them that the neighborhood had already "gone" before I got here. :o )

:wub::cry::o:wub:

My #3 series of off road caches was just approved this afternoon. It is a really fun run up to Georgia Pass from Breckenridge and then back down on the south side to route 285. Here are the caches:

1. Moose Meadow

2. Stream Junction

3. Cabin With a View

5. Valley View

6. Awesome Meadow

7. View Back at the Pass

This is one of the cool things you will see on the run:

885bc5fe-41d5-49ae-8e03-f61a29ea6fe9.jpg

Also, my #2 series is just a week old now. It is a bumpy run up to the top of Saxon Mountain above Georgetown and back:

1. Georgetown Lake View

2. Don't Look Down

3. Oh What a View

4. I Came Up That?

5. Window to the World

6. Pick a View

And don't forget to check out my #1 series that is a little to the south, just west of my stomping grounds here in Castle Rock:

1. Balanced Boulder

2. Granite Overlook

3. Pikes View

4. Fallen Aspen

5. Valley View

6. Pikes Grand View

Great stuff, Dave! Keep it up and we might just have to have a "San Diego Invasion" event out there one of these days! Here's some more ramblings:

This shouldn't really be limited to a "Thread." With Dave, you get the whole multi-colored fabric! Our loss, CO's gain...

Won't be long before the "off-topic" squabbling begins and you end up with a "Banter" thread, "This Just In" thread, "Event" thread, "Congratulations" thread, etc.....

Glad to see the folks from CO are already nicer to Dave than the NJ folks were to Jeff!

OK, time to get back to work! C-YA! -Tom

If that's how you start things, don't ever stop... :laughing:

Excellent picture and wonderful looking multiple series.

Like N0WAE said, will have to really give the ol' Jeep a workout on your geocaches RocketMan.

PS: Ok, I'll gladly stamp his CO "passport",

plus it's not really the kind of glass that counts but what's in it that's important :laughing:

and most importantly the companions outside said glass.

:laughing:

Cachin' in Colorado always has a unique or awesome site to see. Even though I don't have a vehicle the caliber of N0WAE's, there's still plenty out there for us 2WD guys.

Ok fine, so I drive my 2WD like it's a 4WD, but those caches just look too cool to not go for!

Spooky Bat Cave

1f6400d8-dae4-4d22-9a7e-76e173491727.jpg

Wow, I really like that shot, particularly the way the clouds are situated. I will have to go check that spot out sometime. RM

If that's how you start things, don't ever stop... :huh:

Excellent picture and wonderful looking multiple series.

Like N0WAE said, will have to really give the ol' Jeep a workout on your geocaches RocketMan.

PS: Ok, I'll gladly stamp his CO "passport",

plus it's not really the kind of glass that counts but what's in it that's important :rolleyes:

and most importantly the companions outside said glass.

:rolleyes:

10-4 on the companions comment.

I went out and placed the Georgia Pass series by myself, but I think that Mrs. RocketMan would really enjoy that trail. She isn't into those ledgy shelf roads, but she likes a little adventure. I am thinking about making that run again on Sunday, Sept. 10th. Are you interested? Anyone else want to join us?

Dave (RocketMan)

Only if you are from Colorado. :huh:

I'm from Colorado . . . but live in San Diego now. :huh:

On a trip back home last spring, I also visited the Spooky Bat cave cache, but my picture isn't as great as the previous one.

0cf8a17e-4a5c-4213-a768-6b6f2274ab67.jpg

That area was beautiful, as was all the scenery I traveled through on my way back to San Diego. Valley View was the last one I found in Colorado. :rolleyes:

I hope to be back in Colorado in the next couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

On a trip back home last spring, I also visited the Spooky Bat cave cache, but my picture isn't as great as the previous one.
It looks pretty good to me. Nice photo.

I hope to be back in Colorado in the next couple of weeks. <_<
If you make it up to Castle Rock, drop me an e-mail. Maybe we can do a caching run. RM

I've been doing RM caches this weekend for the first time. Saturday we finished the 'RM Off Road Series #3'. I'm totally impressed! Great cache pages, Scenic areas, Great wheeling, Ammo cans and great swag! Welcome to Colorado RM! (CA - eat your heart out!) It's great to have a real 4-wheeler place premium 4WD caches in Colorado!

I've been doing RM caches this weekend for the first time. Saturday we finished the 'RM Off Road Series #3'. I'm totally impressed! Great cache pages, Scenic areas, Great wheeling, Ammo cans and great swag! Welcome to Colorado RM! (CA - eat your heart out!) It's great to have a real 4-wheeler place premium 4WD caches in Colorado!

Glad to see you had fun bagging all of the caches in my #2 and #3 series and thanks for the compliment. I am off today to place my #4 series which will probably be the last of the summer (I'm out of ammo cans and almost everything else after this one). I will have to restock before going out again. RocketMan

My #4 off road series has been submitted and is awaiting approval. It is located on a moderate loop trail near Keystone that runs from Deer Creek, over Glacier Mountain and then down Saints John Creek.

1. First Meadow

2. Hill Climb Pull Out

3. Beautiful View

4. Are we Having Fun Yet?

5. Hill Climb

6. Stream Front Property

7. Cross the Pond

The scenery up there is just awesome. Here are a couple of shots from the trip.

64831cff-3433-4a88-bdef-7634e924f0ad.jpg

644ecde0-efd3-4e02-8d3b-0802dba80a5e.jpg

6f9ccb43-cfcc-4873-90a5-fc9f1286e3d3.jpg

Also, on Saturday, I climbed up on Castle Rock and placed a new micro cache there since the previous one on the rock has been archived. It was active all day on Sunday and still no FTF. It's not that hard to find, so I assume no one attempted it yet. It's a fun little hike/climb with great views of the area. If you get a chance, check it out.

Castle Rock by RocketMan

I went out and placed the Georgia Pass series by myself, but I think that Mrs. RocketMan would really enjoy that trail. She isn't into those ledgy shelf roads, but she likes a little adventure. I am thinking about making that run again on Sunday, Sept. 10th. Are you interested? Anyone else want to join us?

Dave (RocketMan)

Thank you for the invite, RM. And I'll gladly pass around your information to other interested geocachers.

I would absolutely enjoy a 4x4 trek that weekend but scheduling is incredibly tight for Sep

(which is not necessarily a bad thing because its a good schedule and some are even geocaching related), wouldn't want to make a commitment but I'll keep it high on the priorities.

Also, on Saturday, I climbed up on Castle Rock and placed a new micro cache there since the previous one on the rock has been archived. It was active all day on Sunday and still no FTF. It's not that hard to find, so I assume no one attempted it yet. It's a fun little hike/climb with great views of the area. If you get a chance, check it out.

Castle Rock by RocketMan

Good show, such a recognizable landmark needs a good cache.

Driving down from Denver last night (Sun Aug 27) and didn't have a chance to see it pop up but luckily I visit Castle Rock every once and awhile. Soon... :P

Wow, I just noticed that Mondou is way up at number 14 in the world. That's mighty impressive. Way to go Mondou!
I second that sentiment...GO Mondou!, our esteemed Colorado Rules (No-Rules? ;-P ) Chairman.

Nice photos Dave! But you knew sooner or later that we would visit you and then there goes the neighborhood..... :)

... (I like it :-D but it was all ready giving me a headache staring at just one of those things. Edited by MrCOgeo)

A rare Harmaloupe enjoying himself in Colorado :D

This is somewhat disturbing in so many ways, I guess especially the part about even more visitors from "that place".

:D:D:D

Dave (RocketMan)

Thank you for the invite, RM. And I'll gladly pass around your information to other interested geocachers.

I would absolutely enjoy a 4x4 trek that weekend but scheduling is incredibly tight for Sep

(which is not necessarily a bad thing because its a good schedule and some are even geocaching related), wouldn't want to make a commitment but I'll keep it high on the priorities.

It looks like I have a change of plans on this one. Instead of taking Mrs. RocketMan on the Georgia Pass trip (see series links below) on Sep. 10th, I think I am going to try to do it this Sunday. My folks will be in town and I think they would enjoy the trip. Since the trail isn't that tough, I can do it in my Tacoma double cab and fit the whole gang in there comfortably. Anyone else game for the trip this Sunday (Sep 3)?

RocketMan

1. Moose Meadow

2. Stream Junction

3. Cabin With a View

5. Valley View

6. Awesome Meadow

7. View Back at the Pass

Trust me, you guys a have very mild winters. I could handle those! :lol:

Like this one...

JAN 23 1988...ONE OF THE STRONGEST WINDSTORMS IN SEVERAL YEARS

POUNDED THE FRONT RANGE FOOTHILLS FROM COLORADO SPRINGS

NORTH TO THE WYOMING BORDER. THE HIGHEST WIND GUST AT

LOWER ELEVATIONS WAS 105 MPH RECORDED AT TABLE MESA IN

BOULDER. OTHER SECTIONS OF BOULDER RECORDED WIND GUSTS OF

80 TO 90 MPH. IN BOULDER...THE HIGH WINDS BROKE WINDOWS AND

DAMAGED POWER LINES AND TRANSFORMERS. POWER OUTAGES WERE

WIDESPREAD AND TRAFFIC LIGHTS WERE DOWNED. THE WINDS BLEW

DOWN A PARTIALLY CONSTRUCTED VIADUCT IN EAST BOULDER. NINE

UNANCHORED CONCRETE GIRDERS...EACH WEIGHING 45 TONS WERE

BLOWN OFF THEIR SUPPORTS. CARS WERE BLOWN OFF I-70 NEAR

MORRISON...AND A TRACTOR TRAILER AND A MOBILE HOME WERE

KNOCKED OVER. IN LAKEWOOD...AN ELECTRIC COMPANY CREWMAN WAS

BURNED...WHILE REPLACING A POWER LINE. WIND GUSTS TO 92 MPH

WERE CLOCKED AT JEFFERSON COUNTY AIRPORT IN BROOMFIELD...

BEFORE THE SITE ANEMOMETER WAS BLOWN DOWN BY THE WIND.

THE STRONG WINDS SPREAD OVER ALL THE METRO AREA WITH A

NORTHWEST WIND GUST TO 52 MPH RECORDED AT STAPLETON

INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.

OK, usually the Chinooks don't blow 45 ton girders around. (This one is memorable because I was picking a friend to go xc-skiing and I encountered said girders shortly after they blew over...)

Trust me, you guys a have very mild winters. I could handle those! :blink:
OK, usually the Chinooks don't blow 45 ton girders around. (This one is memorable because I was picking a friend to go xc-skiing and I encountered said girders shortly after they blew over...)

When I lived in the Midwest the winters were very long and bitter cold. But when it finally warmed up we got fierce thunderstorms that brought very high straight-line winds and tornados. Imagine a mile wide funnel with 300 mph winds coming at you! Some of those monsters came within 15-20 miles of our home. We slept against the SW wall in our basement on several occasions (more like tried to sleep). The good news is that we were very fortunate all those years. I had a buddy at work that was less fortunate. He was inside a trailer-home that was picked up and thrown 300 feet! :tired:

Trust me, you guys a have very mild winters. I could handle those! ;)

When I lived in the Midwest the winters were very long and bitter cold. But when it finally warmed up we got fierce thunderstorms that brought very high straight-line winds and tornados. Imagine a mile wide funnel with 300 mph winds coming at you! Some of those monsters came within 15-20 miles of our home. We slept against the SW wall in our basement on several occasions (more like tried to sleep). The good news is that we were very fortunate all those years. I had a buddy at work that was less fortunate. He was inside a trailer-home that was picked up and thrown 300 feet! :blink:

Why in the heck would anyone want to live in a place like that? :tired:

Trust me, you guys a have very mild winters. I could handle those! :D

When I lived in the Midwest the winters were very long and bitter cold. But when it finally warmed up we got fierce thunderstorms that brought very high straight-line winds and tornados. Imagine a mile wide funnel with 300 mph winds coming at you! Some of those monsters came within 15-20 miles of our home. We slept against the SW wall in our basement on several occasions (more like tried to sleep). The good news is that we were very fortunate all those years. I had a buddy at work that was less fortunate. He was inside a trailer-home that was picked up and thrown 300 feet! :tired:

Why in the heck would anyone want to live in a place like that? :D

Fishing. Midwest has plenty of lakes to go fishing.

We used to live in Minnesota. Talk about harsh winters. But you can't compare fishing in Minnesota to Colorado. Tornados were just part of the deal. I've been through 2 twisters. Neither went right over us but we did lose a roof once. And a boat. :D And a deck. :blink: And a shed. ;)

Colorado has it's fair share of twisters too.

Weld County:

"Weld County historical area-adjusted tornado activity is significantly above Colorado state average. It is 2.0 times above overall U.S. average.

Tornadoes in this county have caused 13 injuries recorded between 1950 and 2004.

On 5/15/1952, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado injured 5 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages."

"Weld County is the number one county in the United States for having the most tornados. Adams County is a close second so there is a very good chance that you will be in or near a tornado in either of these two counties."

But you can't beat the views out here in Colorado.

5dc8fdc3-3934-480b-bf1b-0f738e7a778e.jpg

Trust me, you guys a have very mild winters. I could handle those! :D

Why in the heck would anyone want to live in a place like that? :D
Fishing. Midwest has plenty of lakes to go fishing.

We used to live in Minnesota. Talk about harsh winters. But you can't compare fishing in Minnesota to Colorado. Tornados were just part of the deal. I've been through 2 twisters. Neither went right over us but we did lose a roof once. And a boat. :D And a deck. :blink: And a shed. ;)

Yep! I lost a shed out there too! Actually every place I had lived has it's pros and cons. The Midwest had great food and great fishing and hunting. On the downside it has zillions of mosquitos, harse winters and tornados. The east coast has tons of cool historical stuff to see and offers a great nightlife. On the downside the summers are humid; they get hurricanes; and the traffic is horrendous. They also get those cold damp windy winters that cut through whatever you are wearing. Socal has beautiful mountains, desert and the ocean. It also has amazingly good weather. On the downside it has horrendous fires, landslides and occasion earthquakes. Colorado has beautiful mountains. It also has great fishing and hunting. On the downside it has a bunch of dang Bronco fans! :D Go Chargers and Packers and Redskins!! :D

Edited by TrailGators

colorado has beautiful mountains. It also has great fishing and hunting. On the downside it has a bunch of dang Bronco fans! :blink: Go Chargers and Packers and Redskins!! :D

:tired:

You're so right about those Bronco fans!

My favorite team is whoever's beating the Bronco's!

Not sure about your Packers comment though......you may be crossing a line there.......

(It's a Minnesota thing I guess) ;)

Edited to add:

But if Bronco fans are the only downside to Colorado, I'm staying here!

Edited by Team Laxson

<<<< Is planning on trip to east slope, next weekend to pic up chilis in Pueblo. May cache a little on way there and coming home.

Can't do your caches, RM, at this time, something about low clearance on my PT Cruiser cache machine :)

Rollercoaster cache down in the Pueblo Reservoir is a cache that I did over the weekend that I thought was worth some talking up. Team Ferguson is the cache owner. I definatly have plans to back to thr "Rez" to pursue more caches. That was awsome!!

Stonehenge was the other one that we did that was "close" by. Another cache that when you are done you say to yourself, "I wouldn't have known this was here..."!

Not sure if these are for you (terrian wise), but they've in the Pueblo area and recommended by zoltig.

Dave (RocketMan)

It looks like I have a change of plans on this one. Instead of taking Mrs. RocketMan on the Georgia Pass trip (see series links below) on Sep. 10th, I think I am going to try to do it this Sunday. My folks will be in town and I think they would enjoy the trip. Since the trail isn't that tough, I can do it in my Tacoma double cab and fit the whole gang in there comfortably. Anyone else game for the trip this Sunday (Sep 3)?

RocketMan

1. Moose Meadow

2. Stream Junction

3. Cabin With a View

5. Valley View

6. Awesome Meadow

7. View Back at the Pass

We did do the trip yesterday, but instead of going in the Tacoma, we took Mrs. RocketMan's Sequoia so my folks could go in comfort. This was a tough trip for this big SUV, but she made it like a champ. There were only a couple of tight spots where size matters.

Mrs. RocketMan's Ride

065dae26-4a33-4a4a-80a3-bed9bf3f14f7.jpg

Having lunch near View Back at the Pass

5c8b29f5-83cc-4758-b766-abfda0968c43.jpg

RocketMan and Mrs. at the Lunch Spot

98a1c42d-7a32-4d3a-ba8f-bd63a6cfb56d.jpg