DNF's

jmmhooper

Depends how hard the cache is. An ammo can chained to a tree- I'd check after the second. A camo'd d3 micro that has a history of DNF's, I would not worry as much. Also depends on the people. 5 DNF's from a group that's together isn't the same as 5 DNF's from 5 people who came at different times. I'd also take them more seriously if it's an experienced cacher, than if the cacher has like 15 finds.

It would depend on the cache, and how far it is away, and who posted the DNF. Further away, I might wait for 3 or so before I went out. An easy cache that's close to home, I've been known to go out after only one. New cachers with a smart phone, I don't put as much weight on the DNF as I would a seasoned cacher on an easier cache.

Hmmm.... T.D.M.22 and I thinking the same and answering much the same ... they probably type faster than I do! <_<

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I would add that (sadly) many cachers just don't make their DNF logs. Sometimes the cache is normally found, say, 10 times per month; then you see that the activity of visitors fell to zero. After a while someone reports his DNF. This is enough for me to understand that the cache is most probably gone.

I'd also take them more seriously if it's an experienced cacher, than if the cacher has like 15 finds.
Some numbers-oriented geocachers follow a "5 minute rule". That is, if they don't find it in 5 minutes, then they move on to the next cache. I wouldn't worry about DNFs posted by such a group of experienced geocachers unless the cache were rated D1 (or maybe D1.5).

In my opinion it depends on:

1) Cache placement - if it´s hard to get or not

2) Type of the cache - it´s different to post a DNF in a Nano than a 10 gallon container

3) Who posts the DNF - if it is a new player or an experienced one

4) The content of the post - if the log says that he was on the right place maybe only one DNF is needed

But above all, as a cache owner, I would say that if you are not sure about the conditions of the cache, by the posts (being DNF or even FOUND IT), it is your responsibility to check it and make the listings accurate to the present situation. This is the main goal of the game, after finding caches, of course! B)

I would add that (sadly) many cachers just don't make their DNF logs. Sometimes the cache is normally found, say, 10 times per month; then you see that the activity of visitors fell to zero. After a while someone reports his DNF. This is enough for me to understand that the cache is most probably gone.

Yes. Thats one pattern I do look out for. It seems that many people dont log DNF logs.

Well, I guess I'll add a different take.

One is about right for us.

When we are notified of a DNF, our first thought is "Hmmm...what's going on here?"

Our typical response is to go check it out.

Have we had some new geocacher completely miss a straight forward cache due to their inexperience...yup!

We now have a great chance for a learning/sharing opportunity which may help a fellow cacher down the road.

We were just starting out at one time and appreciated any guidance we received.

Have we found out the cache was still there but was moved...yup!

We moved it where it should be placed.

Have we found caches simply gone...yup!

Gives us an opportunity to replace or archive.

Our usual practice is to follow-up either way with the cacher who posted the DNF with what we found.

If we replaced it...we thank them.

If they missed it...we help them.

Usually, we get positive responses back.

Of course, we cannot respond to the unvalidated email folks...that's clearly an entirely different dead horse.

May be us, but we appreciate when a cache owner takes action...golden rule and all.

We volunteered and agreed to place the caches.

We had a number of caches that seemed to be a pain to check on...eventually decided it's better to archive and than not maintain them properly.

Have we had our share of slip-ups from time to time...yup!

Doing the best we can to make it fun for others like other folks do for us.

Happy Caching! - hawkeyetob