Distance between caches exemption?

jc508

Hi,

I was thinking of creating my first cache so I read the guidelines.

The standout one was to have some real reason for placing the cache there.

I thought I found the perfect reason with Victoria's oldest apple tree just sitting there unloved. It has great significance with the seeds coming from the city's founding father.

Moving on to the next stage I discovered the rule / guideline about caches being 0.1 mi (161m apart); alas there is another cache only about 75 meters away.

That cache (GC4PXEB) draws attention to a nearby historic bridge and its a micro.

I am doing the caching with my 7 to 10yo grandchildren and none of us have the energy to search for micros or nanos in the bush - with the kids its all about the treasure!

Anyway I digress, If I was to place the new cache near the tree rather than in the bush (which was my first choice) there would be between 75 and 90m between caches AS THE CROW FLIES.

but they would be on different sides of a river with one side having a cliff. The distance between caches by track or trail would then be some kilometers.

So the question is how are these guidelines interpreted ?

I would prefer to get an 'agreement in principle' before I bother to go hide the thing only to have to reposses it.

you can see the area via....

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/37%C2%B041'11.2%22S+145%C2%B006'06.6%22E/@-37.6867716,145.102056,121m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Thanks for the help,

JC

Find an open spot away from the tree and other caches and create a Multi. Starting at the tree and have the cacher get VIRTUAL clues to find the final that is far enough away from the other cache. Must be a Virtual stage for the starting because if you place something there it is considered a Physical stage which would be violating the .1 proximity rule. Virtual stages don't have a proximity rule.

Edited by jellis
Once upon a time, the volunteer reviewers might exercise more flexibility when it came to the saturation guideline. And they also had the authority to refuse to publish a series of fungible film canisters spaced every 528ft/161m down a rural highway.

About the time Groundspeak gave up enforcing the "don't hide a container every 600ft just because you can" guideline, they also started enforcing the the saturation guideline pretty strictly. And yes, the distance is interpreted "as the crow flies", not as the geocacher hikes (or pedals, or paddles, or drives, or whatever).

And as jellis indicated, a common approach for creating a cache to highlight a special location, when that location is too close to an existing cache, is to use the special location as a "question to answer" waypoint, which is used to determine the location of the actual cache, which is located elsewhere, where it won't conflict with the saturation guideline.

A bit of research yielded, "The tree has concrete block near its base, inscribed ‘1841’".

Perfect!

Put your physical cache relatively close to the tree, but at least 161m from other caches. Id' think about the most like direction of approach, and bring people to the tree first, then on down (up) the trail to the cache.

Your cache type is Multi-cache, and coords at the top of the listing are for the tree. On the cache report form, indicate those coords as virtual. You aren't going to place anything there, you're using existing structure, the numbers on the marker.

On the cache page, write a bit about the tree.

In the short description, I say, first stage virtual on this great tree, final about X? m away. Let people know it's not far.

Use a very simple formula on the page taking a the number from the block to generate coords for your final cache. Keep this simple, doing arithmetic is not really why people go out to cache.

A very (very) few people may do the same online research I did, and skip the tree and just go to the final, but not many. Especially if you set it up such that they're likely to walk by the tree first anyway.

Here's a cache of mine of this type so you can see how it's done.

http://coord.info/GCVW0K

Listing coords are on a interesting grave. No place for a cache in this super groomed cemetery (and I'm not fond of cemetery caches anyway) so a simple formula takes people to a physical cache a bit down the road.

A bit of research yielded, "The tree has concrete block near its base, inscribed ‘1841’".

Perfect!

Put your physical cache relatively close to the tree, but at least 161m from other caches. Id' think about the most like direction of approach, and bring people to the tree first, then on down (up) the trail to the cache.

Your cache type is Multi-cache, and coords at the top of the listing are for the tree. On the cache report form, indicate those coords as virtual. You aren't going to place anything there, you're using existing structure, the numbers on the marker.

On the cache page, write a bit about the tree.

In the short description, I say, first stage virtual on this great tree, final about X? m away. Let people know it's not far.

Use a very simple formula on the page taking a the number from the block to generate coords for your final cache. Keep this simple, doing arithmetic is not really why people go out to cache.

A very (very) few people may do the same online research I did, and skip the tree and just go to the final, but not many. Especially if you set it up such that they're likely to walk by the tree first anyway.

Here's a cache of mine of this type so you can see how it's done.

http://coord.info/GCVW0K

Listing coords are on a interesting grave. No place for a cache in this super groomed cemetery (and I'm not fond of cemetery caches anyway) so a simple formula takes people to a physical cache a bit down the road.

I doubt people would cheat. I have a multi that is 8 stages, takes people miles to drive between each stage, plus one of the stages is in a museum that has a donation fee. Even though I clearly state that the multi can be done virtually, no one has. People will wait for the once a month free day at the museum, and take days to go to each stage, rather than do it virtually.

Hi,

I was thinking of creating my first cache so I read the guidelines.

The standout one was to have some real reason for placing the cache there.

I thought I found the perfect reason with Victoria's oldest apple tree just sitting there unloved. It has great significance with the seeds coming from the city's founding father.

Moving on to the next stage I discovered the rule / guideline about caches being 0.1 mi (161m apart); alas there is another cache only about 75 meters away.

That cache (GC4PXEB) draws attention to a nearby historic bridge and its a micro.

I am doing the caching with my 7 to 10yo grandchildren and none of us have the energy to search for micros or nanos in the bush - with the kids its all about the treasure!

Anyway I digress, If I was to place the new cache near the tree rather than in the bush (which was my first choice) there would be between 75 and 90m between caches AS THE CROW FLIES.

but they would be on different sides of a river with one side having a cliff. The distance between caches by track or trail would then be some kilometers.

I would prefer to get an 'agreement in principle' before I bother to go hide the thing only to have to reposses it.

you can see the area via....

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/37%C2%B041'11.2%22S+145%C2%B006'06.6%22E/@-37.6867716,145.102056,121m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Thanks for the help,

JC

I would strongly suggest that you contact your local reviewer, explain your thought process for your cache placement, and see what they say.

It has been a few years now, but I had a situation very similar to yours. I found a great spot for a cache, but it was less than the 0.1 mile minimum from another cache. It WAS across a canyon, requiring a mile or more of hiking to get from one to the other.

I contacted my local reviewer, explained my situation, and they told me they would be fine with publishing my cache where I wanted it to go. Sadly, I was not able to put it there due to state park restrictions (I found out my spot was in an archeologically sensitive area), but I was pleased that the reviewer was willing to work with me.