Garmin Oregon 450 fails to boot

After copying some gpx files manually to my Oregon, it failed to start up properly. The GARMIN logo appeared but after a few seconds it faded away.

Something similar happened a while ago and I wish I had written down how I solved it then. I tried the master reset (press and hold the upper left of the screen whilst powering it up) without success. I have managed to connect the GPS to the computer by forcing it into USB mass storage mode, but after deleting the new files the same problem occurs.

A lot of the posts on this subject refer to http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous which has expired!

Any suggestions? (I have contacted Garmin and their standard reply wants me to try the master reset)

Any suggestions? (I have contacted Garmin and their standard reply wants me to try the master reset)

My Oregon 600 once crashed (early firmware) and there was no way to start it beyond the logo either. Changed batteries a few times.. no luck, hooked it up to my (android) tablet and after a while it did show up in the filemanager.

Another time it would also not power up beyond the logo and while I was preparing to try a few things it was suddenly showing the dashboard. It may have taken 10 minutes to completely boot.

You might try to power up a few times and hook it up to a computer a few times. With some luck it will just boot after a longer wait (power up and let it lay about for 15 minutes).

Also powering up with/without the extra SD card may just "jumpstart it.

Make sure the batteries are fully charged or use the USB cable to get power from a non-computer (non-data)source.

My Oregon 550T does this ever since I replaced my BirdsEye V1 files with Birdseye V2. If I remove the .jnx files, it will boot up properly, but with the .jnx files, it starts to boot, then the Garmin logo just fades out. I have found that I can usually get it to boot if I start the master reset process, then when I get the prompt to erase all user data, I say No. It will then continue to boot up as normal and shows the BirdsEye files just fine. Go figure.

This has happened a few times to my 450 and a couple to my 62S....I think its always caused by a corrupt GPX file.

I take the card out ( only has my map on it ) and do the master reset....if you can get into mass storage and delete all GPX files first by all means do that.

The last couple of times I did it my settings and profile did not change where as earlier resets required me to reset all my settings ???

Just happened with my 450 also. Always make a point of it to boot it back up after deleting the old geocaches and before loading the new ones.

Tried all the above without any luck.

I remember this happening a couple years ago and the only thing that worked was to load old software version into the unit. 2.50? Can't quite remember how to do it tho. Recovery #2 -- Forced Upgrade using RGN file? Yep, Wiki gone.

Edited by Mojo801

Just happened with my 450 also. Always make a point of it to boot it back up after deleting the old geocaches and before loading the new ones.

Tried all the above without any luck.

I remember this happening a couple years ago and the only thing that worked was to load old software version into the unit. 2.50? Can't quite remember how to do it tho. Recovery #2 -- Forced Upgrade using RGN file? Yep, Wiki gone.

I have the GCD file for 4.50 and 5.50 ( 5.50 is currently on mine ) and instructions......if you send me an email I can try to send them to you ( if email co-operates :) )