summer geocaching challenges by the website

We have barely started the roadtrip challenges. The summer challenges are fun but its quite hot where we live. 4 people died from the heat this past week alone. Any chance of having website challenges in other seasons too? Perhaps fall or spring, or even winter when the temps are just perfect for us?

You want them when it's hot/dangerous/freezing cold elsewhere? You want them in Alaskan winter? In your winter it's blazing hot in part of Australia so....

Besides, it's only summer in part of the world.

Well.. we're having a cito soon, and it's around 45C/113F at the moment, with high humidity. Yummy. Yes, people can die in hot weather, but I'd think it's their own responsibility unless they are not able to take care of themselves. It gets hot here every summer, thus we make sure we have a spare battery for the mobile phone, enough water and food, and phone numbers of emergency services and fellow cachers. Besides, staying in the country we cannot earn all souvenirs anyway as there's none with 10 favourite points. Should we demand GS changes the requirement to 6? Nah, it's a nice challenge and we'll get there in the end.

We have barely started the roadtrip challenges. The summer challenges are fun but its quite hot where we live. 4 people died from the heat this past week alone. Any chance of having website challenges in other seasons too? Perhaps fall or spring, or even winter when the temps are just perfect for us?

These are not "challenges". They are souvenir promotions.

Is there no possibility of seeking caches that require a boat/canoe/kayak? Or an atv?

Or of seeking a D5 that has a lower T rating?

Let’s get EXTREME!

Sometimes you just have to get your adrenaline flowing or your mind racing. Find a Terrain 5 or Difficulty 5 geocache beginning July 17 to earn this souvenir.

https://www.geocaching.com/play/promo/roadtrip

Maybe there's a D5 ? (puzzle) cache that you could seek to solve and find?

D5: Extreme

A serious mental or physical challenge. May require specialized knowledge or skills to find or open the geocache.

T5: Extremely challenging terrain Requires specialized equipment (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc.) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

oops...thanks to on4bam for doing the proof-reading that I didn't do.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

T5: Extreme

A serious mental or physical challenge. May require specialized knowledge or skills to find or open the geocache.

D5: Extremely challenging terrain Requires specialized equipment (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc.) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

Could be the other way around B) (must be the heat)

As an American, I try to be aware of the "ugly American" stereotype and do what I can to avoid it. That is why I am careful to convert to globally understood units of measure, and try to overlook gramatical errors for people who are using English as a second language or though a translator.

I am keenly aware of Groundspeak's huge gap on this issue when it comes to souveniers. It seems they don't think globally unless forced to do so.

The OP is entirely right to bring up this issue. I was aware of it years ago with the 31 days of August souveniers, and wondered why these things were only coming up in the U.S. summertime.

There is mnore to thinking globally than just translating a web site.

Austin

As an American, I try to be aware of the "ugly American" stereotype and do what I can to avoid it. That is why I am careful to convert to globally understood units of measure, and try to overlook gramatical errors for people who are using English as a second language or though a translator.

I am keenly aware of Groundspeak's huge gap on this issue when it comes to souveniers. It seems they don't think globally unless forced to do so.

The OP is entirely right to bring up this issue. I was aware of it years ago with the 31 days of August souveniers, and wondered why these things were only coming up in the U.S. summertime.

There is mnore to thinking globally than just translating a web site.

Austin

Thank you for posting this. It echos my sentiments exactly.

I am finding this thread a bit confusing, as the OP is in Arizona. It is too hot there now; I understand that. I'm not sure how we get from there to concluding Groundspeak isn't thinking globally. Because these souvenirs are in the Northern Hemisphere's summer? Firstly, approx 90% of the population lives in the Northern Hemisphere. If more caches are found in these months, it is a good time to do special souvenirs. Secondly, they have done souvenirs at other times of the year, e.g. the Pi day ones in March; Earth cache day in Oct.

Is it cooler at night?

Not by much. It can be 100 even at midnight.

My suggestion then it's time to take a vacation in someplace cooler. How about going to the Last Block Party in Seattle?

I was talking to someone in Seattle yesterday (a colleague that lives there). She was saying that it was really hot there now. I know someone else that took the train from Seattle to Portland a couple of days ago and said they had to reduce the normal speed of the train due to the high heat index. Still, I imagine that it's cooler than the desert in the southwest.

Is it cooler at night?

My suggestion then it's time to take a vacation in someplace cooler. How about going to the Last Block Party in Seattle?

I was talking to someone in Seattle yesterday (a colleague that lives there). She was saying that it was really hot there now. I know someone else that took the train from Seattle to Portland a couple of days ago and said they had to reduce the normal speed of the train due to the high heat index. Still, I imagine that it's cooler than the desert in the southwest.

Yeah, Seattle's not getting spared from the heat, although it's still better than what you're (or I'm) going through.

Is it cooler at night?

Yeah, Seattle's not getting spared from the heat, although it's still better than what you're (or I'm) going through.

It's suddenly cooler and drier here in the Twin Cities. Just be prepared to soak yourself in DEET (for the mosquitoes) and your clothes in permethrin (for the ticks).

Is it cooler at night?

El Nino, perhaps?

I saw a claim on weather.com that El Paso and the rest of Texas would actually see cooler than normal temps this summer due to El Nino. And hey, it was only 100 today when I was outside from 11 to 2 with no shade on a parade field practicing a change of command ceremony, so sure, I'll buy it. :rolleyes: