Does The Dangerous Animals Atribute Count For Wasps?

No, if it did then every cache in the UK would need the dangerous animal attribute as wasps are everywhere, and as narcissa said if there's a wasp nest right by the cache then the cache needs to be moved.

I know of a cache that was archived after ground bees had moved into the area where the cache was located. Unfortunately this cache was published in 2001 and was the oldest in the area.

Yes, but I would also caution that if your chosen hidey-hole actually has a wasp nest in it, you should choose another spot. It's one thing to have them nearby, it's another thing to put people in a position where they are disturbing them directly.

How near is "nearby"? Or does this warrant an entire new thread? :ph34r: And aren't wasps on the move, year to year?

Yes, but I would also caution that if your chosen hidey-hole actually has a wasp nest in it, you should choose another spot. It's one thing to have them nearby, it's another thing to put people in a position where they are disturbing them directly.

How near is "nearby"? Or does this warrant an entire new thread? :ph34r: And aren't wasps on the move, year to year?

I would leave that to the CO's discretion. Are they near enough and in great enough numbers that it's worth remarking on? Pretty subjective.

A little sprinkle of carbaryl ("ant dust") at the entrance of an in-ground wasp nest will do wonders for making the problem go away.

But of course, it's better if the cache just goes somewhere else instead.

Don't use the stuff on bees. We like bees.

I've probably broken some law in the US by even mentioning this.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Building on what others have said - yes, you can consider wasps as dangerous animals. But:

- In countries/geographical areas where wasps are common, adding that attribute to every cache because wasps COULD be present doesn't add any value.

- If you know there is a nest close by (close enough to likely cause cachers to have conflict with wasps), then moving the cache would be better than setting the attribute.

If we're going to start marking caches with the 'dangerous animals' attribute simply because there are bees or wasps observed nearby...seems like MOST caches will at some point have that attribute. I think that attribute is better used in areas where snakes or mountain lions or bears are common, not some transient insects. Flying insects are kinda just the proverbial 'cost of doing business', much like getting muddy, catching spider webs in your hair or snagging your sleeve on a branch. One exception is the 'ticks' attribute, which does tend to help folks know they may be searching in tall grasses/undergrowth or in densely wooded areas that are off-trail.

If we're going to start marking caches with the 'dangerous animals' attribute simply because there are bees or wasps observed nearby...seems like MOST caches will at some point have that attribute. I think that attribute is better used in areas where snakes or mountain lions or bears are common, not some transient insects. Flying insects are kinda just the proverbial 'cost of doing business', much like getting muddy, catching spider webs in your hair or snagging your sleeve on a branch. One exception is the 'ticks' attribute, which does tend to help folks know they may be searching in tall grasses/undergrowth or in densely wooded areas that are off-trail.

I agree.

This time of year, nearly every guardrail hide here probably has some issue with bees or spiders.

- Soon as the weather cools a bit (the rest of the year...), these issues are gone.

I'd definitely use the attribute if i purposely placed my cache 2 inches from an existing wasp or hornet's nest. That would certainly add to the challenge of retrieving my cache. :lol:

Seriously, while it would be a fun challenge to me, i would never place a cache like this. Not sure what the numbers are but i figure there is a decent percentage of cachers out there who are extremely allergic to stings. Just too much of a chance that someone wouldn't read the cache page and then end up in trouble.

I'm kinda wondering if the OP is asking because he is interested in placing a cache in a spot where wasps are routinely found?

I would not refer to a wasp as a dangerous animal cause it is NOT! Some folks are highly allergic and need to take special precautions. I would say wasp warning should happen when a cache is safely placed without them and they moved in on you later. IF dangerous animals are likely they should be named and explained or move the cache to a safer location. Dangerous animals in general that can be anywhere should not be mentioned unless the likelyhood of encounter is predictable. Just because you are in the woods! - well that is a given. Example - Mean dogs are predictible!

No! Wasp are not dangerous - unless you have a really high unual horrible enounter which is rare! Your allergies don't make the animal dangerous - you are a danger to yourself and hopefully aware of it and prepared! I avoid a peanut container but don't Label a peanut a problem.