Adopting a Cache

Hi

First post and new to Geocaching so lots to learn, but need urgent help/advice on how I can adopt a cache.

A cache local to me is in need of some TLC. Not a lot, but does need some like a clean out re-marking as a cache, new log book etc.

The owner of the cache states on his profile that he is "Not caching at the Mo"

I have marked the cache as needs maintenance, and also sent an email to the owner requesting adoption (awaiting reply).

Assuming that the owner agrees I adopt or does not perform maintenance or reply, how do I go about adopting and how long is reasonable for a reply?

As I'm new, can I ask that any abbreviations in replies are explained (e.g.GZ - Ground Zero), as I'm still learing

Hello,

For cache transfers, use the do-it-yourself adoption tool found at http://www.geocaching.com/adopt -- the existing owner will need to go there first, enter the GC number and the name of the transferee, and then a message is sent to alert the new owner to go to the same page and accept the transfer. No involvement by Geocaching.com or a volunteer cache reviewer is needed.

For more information on cache adoptions, see this Page in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

You will learn from that article that adoptions aren't possible without the participation of the current owner. If that doesn't happen, you can wait for the cache to be archived and place a new one under your account name.