Oregon 650 and Pocket Queries

Tazena

I just got my Oregon 650. I downloaded a pocket query onto a SD in a folder called garmin\gpx. When I go to look at geocaches, they are not there. They show up in waypoints with the GC name and location only. Shouldn't they show up in geocaches with details of the caches? I have downloaded caches directly to the Oregon and they show up as geocaches with all the details.

I just got my Oregon 650. I downloaded a pocket query onto a SD in a folder called garmin\gpx. When I go to look at geocaches, they are not there. They show up in waypoints with the GC name and location only. Shouldn't they show up in geocaches with details of the caches? I have downloaded caches directly to the Oregon and they show up as geocaches with all the details.

How far are these caches from your GPSr's current location? The 650 (and others) ignore Geocaches that are a great distance away. It's also the same with Waypoints, I think. But at least for the caches, are they nearby? I'm wondering if it's possible that everything did get loaded, but the GPSr is doing that thing it does of not showing them.

Also, are the Waypoints "child Waypoints" of the caches (parking spots, whatever), or are they the actual cache locations? The cache numbers would start with "GC", the waypoints will have other letters instead of "GC". If there are Waypoints in a Pocket Query, there are two files in a zipped Pocket Query that both are to be loaded into the GPSr -- one file contains caches, one is waypoints.

When you unzipped the PQ, were the files ".gpx" files? If they're ".loc" files, you need to change a PQ setting.

Edited by kunarion

"just got my Oregon 650", makes me wonder. Did you use the (free-trial) Premium Membership?

If so... had you loaded geocaches prior to activating that Premium Membership?

If yes -- you need to delete any and all (geocaching) data loaded to the device.

Run and download a brand new Pocket Query. Load that to the unit and all should be fine.

"just got my Oregon 650", makes me wonder. Did you use the (free-trial) Premium Membership?

If so... had you loaded geocaches prior to activating that Premium Membership?

If yes -- you need to delete any and all (geocaching) data loaded to the device.

Run and download a brand new Pocket Query. Load that to the unit and all should be fine.

Good call! When I switched to PM, my Garmin 450 (the GPSr I had at the time) stayed in "LOC" mode, even with fresh new PM "GPX" files. Weird. So there were some LOC files, some GPX for the same caches. Deleting the files in the GPX folder, then loading the new Pocket Query GPX files, fixed it.

The OP probably needs to clear files that are in both GPX folders, internal and SD. Then load it again with only the GPX files received after becoming PM.

If I read into the OP's question, the issue is that LOC files are on the GPSr, and that selecting "Geocaches" is showing just the cache names and locations. If the GC numbers actually are in the "Waypoint" list, perhaps that's some other issue. Or it's just the way the 650 handles a conflict of cache file types.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks for all the information! The caches are 3000 miles away so that makes sense. I'll make a pocket query today that is for caches nearby to make sure that everything is working. All the files are GPX. I downloaded all of them as a premium member.

Added - I just tried doing a local pocket query and all the caches showed up like they should so it was the distance that it didn't like. I just hope when I get to Europe it doesn't go crazy. I have paper just in case.

Edited by Tazena

Thanks for all the information! The caches are 3000 miles away so that makes sense. I'll make a pocket query today that is for caches nearby to make sure that everything is working. All the files are GPX. I downloaded all of them as a premium member.

Loading local caches is a good test. However, for the distant caches, you should be able to pan the map, zoom in and see those caches, even though they're not listed using the list caches function.