iPhone data charges for geocaching

BAMBOOZLE

I've had an iPhone for a couple of years through work but I know nothing regarding data use or data charges or even what data is. How much " data " is used while using the geocaching app.....a normal weeks caching would be 8-12 hours and on vacation could run 40+ hours per week.

In all the discussions I've read on phone vs GPS unit I can't recall data use charges being discussed....is it nominal or would in increase your bill appreciably.

I've had an iPhone for a couple of years through work but I know nothing regarding data use or data charges or even what data is. How much " data " is used while using the geocaching app.....a normal weeks caching would be 8-12 hours and on vacation could run 40+ hours per week.

In all the discussions I've read on phone vs GPS unit I can't recall data use charges being discussed....is it nominal or would in increase your bill appreciably.

I have 2gb and the only times I have went over 1gb was when Internet was down. Of course I was not geocaching all day. But it was enough for maybe 2 hours a day of Internet, several checks for Munzee (can't be that different than geocaching in terms of data) and an hour or two of caching a week.

Also remember if you're American, you might pay 25%-50% less for your phone bill, and receive more data- possibly unlimited. It's not unusual to pay $100 a month and get very little data. Though most people (cachers) I know have at least 2gb. So if you can get more than that, for less, I'd think you'd be fine- especially if you plan it. When at the hotel, or starbucks, on wifi, check for caches, and know how to get close. That would cut down your data.

I know it's not what you wanted exactly, but just something to know. Perhaps a member from the US will give something more accurate.

YOU should check your historical usage and the cost of differing data plans offered by your carrier. This is very location dependant.

I doubt that the Geocaching app uses very much data. It is not using data continuously. Only when you search for caches. You can also pre-load data when on wifi, if you like. Always a good idea if you do not know how reliable the cell service will be.

Edited by Red90