Nuvi and mSD card size? (as a gift)

dukeofurl01

The Nuvi that I am considering getting, has a maximum size (of mSD card) of 32 GB and recommended minimum of 8 GB. My question is, what size do I really need? What is practical, what is extra. I guess, I'd have to transfer maps to it once in a while, I don't know how big those are, then there's some waypoints and some tracks.

I found a really good deal on a refurb one, and so I'm going to get 2, one for myself and one for a gift. The gift one, I want to include a mSD card, and I will transfer maps ahead of time, but I don't expect that person is not a geocacher, and I don't expect them to do a ton of waypoints and tracks. Though I will be getting the maximum card size for myself, though I think that might be overkill for them. I don't know for sure though.

You don't say what model nuvi or what maps (NA only? NA and Europe?) you intend to have on your nuvi. But in general on modern nuvis, if you have maps for only one continent, an 8 GB card is all you should ever need. If you intend to have maps for both continents, an 8 GB is probably still sufficient, and a 16 GB will give more than you will need now and in the future.

Well, the NA version of the 1490LMT only came with 2 GB of internal storage (the Europe version had 4 GB), The NA maps alone are now larger than 2 GB, so you definitely need a micro SD card to hold the current map. Also, with the current NA map update, you get a very small and limited Junction View file. You can download the full coverage junction views as a separate step, but again you need the storage space on the SD card to accommodate everything. I still think an 8 or 16 GB card is sufficient, but since cards are so inexpensive these days, you might as well go for the 32 as you suggested.

Edited by alandb