Garmin Topo Maps and Multiple Devices

The 24K topo maps from Garmin are not locked to a specific unit. You can verify in the "Map Manager" in BaseCamp because the maps do not require an unlock. I can also confirm that I had an Oregon... lost it, then purchased an eTrex. I was able to load and use 24K North Central and 24K West DVD maps just fine on the second device.

I believe City Navigators maps are locked to a single unit. I am unsure about other maps, but topo maps are generally from public sources and do not need royalties (which is what drives Garmin to lock the maps).

After re-reading the OP, I did a little more research. From Garmin's website in the requirements section of any downloadable 24k topo map:

Use with 1 Device Only

This download only may be used on 1 compatible device. Data downloaded to a microSD/SD card is associated with the device you select during the download process. Please purchase additional quantities for additional devices

It would appear the "downloaded" maps are not transferable, but this seems very strange considering the DVD versions are transferable. Bottom line is that you can check if they transfer or not in the BaseCamp menu. It is entirely possible the website has a copy-paste error from other map download info pages.

I would also expect Garmin support to be very forgiving and allow you to transfer them to your "upgraded" unit if you gave them a call.