New unknown caches not showing

BooDogMama

On 3/28/15 9:01 am new series of Unknown caches published: My home coordinates: N 38° 34.336 W 121° 20.862

A new geocache was just published:

Name: 2nd POTUS - John Adams (GC5N727)

Created by: Blondvoodoo

Type: Unknown Cache

Date: 3/28/2015

Distance: 16.6mi SE (26.7km SE)

Published by: Nomex

Edit the settings for your Puzzle/Mystery instant notification.

But does not show in caches close to home when sorting by date published.

Map does not show that this series exists until I zoom in close enough. There are 44 caches in this series:

9cbc81e7-34b5-491a-a84a-61fafc27b101_l.png

Shows lots of new blue ???

32c9f8e5-69f8-4b3d-94ee-a54063679fcc_l.png

But here, all blue boxes are missing!

Also, these caches do not show up when I use new Search/filter, either. Including filtering on the word "POTUS"

Those more zoomed-out map tiles are generated less frequently than the more zoomed-in ones. The caches will show up at all levels after a period of time.

The caches in question seem to show up fine in search for me:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search/@38.44715,-121.08563?origin=GC5N727&radius=30mi&kw=POTUS

First, when you did your search, you put in the GC number GC5N727. I was searching for all new caches published.

When I go to the page after I've logged in, and it says "Find nearby caches" it says there are 41,673 caches. It shows 2084 pages of caches. When I sort on Date Published and scroll through ... multiple screens past the published date, ... They (The POTUS Caches) DO NOT SHOW UP! This is always how I found new caches nearby, and also those who have recently been found. I know at least ONE POTUS cache was found, but it does not show up.

This may be fine, where you put in One GC number, but with the "New Way", even if you put in the distance, you get the first 1000 caches, and cannot search for newest, or most recently found Unless they are within that magic 1000 number.

Question: Are you now creating indexes of new caches that need to be refreshed periodically? Yesterday, I could not see any POTUS caches. Now I can if I limit to Puzzles, not found by me, within 20 miles (which gets me below 1000 caches available)

The newly published caches have a "date placed" of Feburary 21st, so they won't show up in the first pages of search results when organized by date placed. Go past the March caches and you should see them.

The sort is on the date placed, NOT on the date published.

Edited by Keystone

The newly published caches have a "date placed" of Feburary 21st, so they won't show up in the first pages of search results when organized by date placed. Go past the March caches and you should see them.

I just spoke to my husband about this, and it appears that it is a CO issue, not a change to Geocaching.

Paracelsus says that he UPDATES the date from the initial date on the cache (when getting a GC number) to the current date when he is ready to submit them, so that it doesn't show an old date.

So, it's a newly published cache, but doesn't show up as "new".

:P Thanks for the clarification. :P Never noticed this before! :P

That always bugged me, to be honest. IMO, sorting (and PQ searching) would be much more useful based on the date published rather than the date placed.

Anyone know the reason why it is the way it is?

The "published" log type was bolted onto the existing website infrastructure in late July 2005, in order to support the "instant notification" procedure that debuted that year. Basic indexing design (2000) and pocket query design (2002) predated that development.