Found an old geocache

Sunmill

After signing the log in a geocache I turned around and found the identical original bison tube on the ground 2ft away. The current hiding spot and BT were not big enough to place the old cache or log in and the CO is currently an absentee from the game.

In this situation, what would you do with the old BT and log?

Is one in better shape than the other? Is one more the "right" size? Is one more obviously some other game (we have a LOT of letterboxes on top of caches around here)?

It's kind of strange that you would find a "cache" then find a "bison tube " and have either be a throw down (since fakes seem to usually be more cheap).

Since your post doesn't say either is of poor quality, I would be reluctant to say remove either since the other might be some other game.

In a similar situation I would write a detailed log about it. Unfortunate that the CO isn't around to ask him to mention it in his description. If it is reasonable to go back, check both containers for identification as geocaches/letterboxing/etc.

ETA: The one that has a log with names you "know" is more likely a geocache.

Edited by etarace

This sounds like something that has happened to us as CO a few times. We place a cache and get some DNF's on it. We figure it is missing and go check it quickly and if we don't find it we place a new one. Then often later someone will post they found the old container.

We have one cache that I placed a vintage film container at. A old metal one under a walkway bridge. It must have migrated. So I went and replaced it with a obvious bison tube. The old film container is pretty rusted shut from what I read in logs but I can't find it. Yet others find it and somehow miss the bison tube. I can't find the original hide and still get logs of it being rusted shut!

Another example is we hid a cache at a lake I camp at about once a year. It used to be a few times a year but lately only about 1 time a year and it is kind of a hard spot to get to once at the lake. Some cacher went there and couldn't find it and dropped a replacement. I was fine with that as we are happy to have one there. It is more about the adventure then our silly water bottle preform. This cache is a couple of hours away. Then some of our local cachers went and found it. As they were signing the replacement someone found the original. They took the replacement just in case any of the other hides on the lake were missing so they could replace it. I am fine with that but kind of liked the second container there so if ours did go missing there was something there so we wouldn't have to make that adventure to replace it if not needed.

So I would say to just place both back and let it go on as it does. If one is a letterbox or something then all is good. If there is 2 matching containers at GZ then all is well.

The cache went missing a few years ago so the CO replaced it with the exact same BT. The one I found on the ground is identical to the new cache - same colour shape and form - and the log matches all of the online logs from the past so there is no doubt about it being the original cache, not a different game.

The new BT is not big enough for two logs, and the hiding spot is not big enough for two BT.

It was very visible on the ground, I can't believe no one else spotted it when they visited the new cache!

Normally I would think I should contact the CO to somehow get their BT back to them, but they are inactive. Is it sacrilegious to use the BT for one of my own caches?