Proper way to describe meet & greet

Airstreaming

Hi, I did a meet & greet awhile ago and it took a few times for it to pass and get published. The main reason was that I used the name of the establishment in my description and apparently that was a no-no. I was just searching for events and found one that mentions the name of the establishment and it's published! Maybe it's a different reviewer but I think if one event can't name the establishment then they all can't and vise versa.

I don't see why the name can't be mentioned especially if the place offers it graciously (free) and we are giving them business. If someone could explain that to me I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much! :)

Because that would be advertising for the business.

I guess what I'm asking is, why is it ok for one event to mention the name but not another? Also, in some of the regular caches the name of the establishment is used. ex: Dunkin Donuts.

A few things- each cache, event or otherwise is reviewed on its own, not compared to other caches. And that means because something has, or has not been allowed doesn't mean the next cache will or will not be under the same restrictions, permissions, etc. Or in other words you can't say "I should be able to do it because this person did."

Now he commercial guidelines shouldn't extend to location. By that I mean you should be allowed to say the cache is in front of ABC store. Or the event will be held at XYZ pub. You can't say "come shopping at ABC store after you geocache!" Either your reviewer was being a *somethig I can't say* or you said something that you shouldn't have.

Did you ask the reviewer for help? I'm sure if anyone know why the reviewer made that decision, it would be that reviewer. So ask him/her.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it! I did mention the name of the place we were meeting at and was told I was not allowed to do that. I could say 'coffee shop' 'cafe' but not the actual name. I did ask why I couldn't use the name and that's what I was told. 'It's not allowed'.

No big deal, just a minor irritation that kept bothering me.

It was our first meet & greet and it actually turned out better than we expected! So we were very happy.

A few things- each cache, event or otherwise is reviewed on its own, not compared to other caches. And that means because something has, or has not been allowed doesn't mean the next cache will or will not be under the same restrictions, permissions, etc. Or in other words you can't say "I should be able to do it because this person did."

Now he commercial guidelines shouldn't extend to location. By that I mean you should be allowed to say the cache is in front of ABC store. Or the event will be held at XYZ pub. You can't say "come shopping at ABC store after you geocache!" Either your reviewer was being a *somethig I can't say* or you said something that you shouldn't have.

Did you ask the reviewer for help? I'm sure if anyone know why the reviewer made that decision, it would be that reviewer. So ask him/her.

According to the Event Cache Guidelines, "Event Cache owners can include basic information about the location on the cache page, even if it is a commercial location. However, Event Caches, just like other geocaches, must meet the commercial geocache guidelines."

So it should be fine to say something like "Meet on the patio near Panera Bread" or "Meet for coffee at Starbucks", as long as you don't add solicitations like "We do chicken right!" or "One Cup at a Time!".

According to the Event Cache Guidelines, "Event Cache owners can include basic information about the location on the cache page, even if it is a commercial location. However, Event Caches, just like other geocaches, must meet the commercial geocache guidelines."

So it should be fine to say something like "Meet on the patio near Panera Bread" or "Meet for coffee at Starbucks", as long as you don't add solicitations like "We do chicken right!" or "One Cup at a Time!".

+1 As a Reviewer, this is the guidance that I follow. Judging from the Archived Notes on your most recent Event submissions (circa 2012), your Local Reviewer had an issue with the business name apparently emblazoned in LARGE RED LETTERS, and a logo (hard to tell if that was a company logo...which is a no-no). Quite frankly, I'd be asking for that sort of thing to be removed as well. Commercial links, solicitations (i.e. "best [insert product/service] in the world"), and the like, should be removed. There are plenty of websites on the internet to promote products and services. Geocaching is not one of them.

Thanks for hosting your Events and good luck with your future submissions B)

I believe (if memory serves me right) I made the title 'large red letters' & it wasn't the logo, just the name of the shop. My way of making it seen I guess. So if I made the letters small and black that would be fine? Or maybe it's best to keep the name in the 'hint' section?

So many rules and regulations....I can't keep up. lol

Again I appreciate the input! This will help for the next event I do! (which I'm hoping is soon). And thank you for being a reviewer! That takes time and energy and you do it for free!! :)

+1 As a Reviewer, this is the guidance that I follow. Judging from the Archived Notes on your most recent Event submissions (circa 2012), your Local Reviewer had an issue with the business name apparently emblazoned in LARGE RED LETTERS, and a logo (hard to tell if that was a company logo...which is a no-no). Quite frankly, I'd be asking for that sort of thing to be removed as well. Commercial links, solicitations (i.e. "best [insert product/service] in the world"), and the like, should be removed. There are plenty of websites on the internet to promote products and services. Geocaching is not one of them.

Thanks for hosting your Events and good luck with your future submissions B)