tips on E.T. Highway and other power trails

nashuan

I'm planning a trip to Nevada's E.T. Highway this spring (April). We've found some helpful advice like having a stamp made to save you from hand-signing each of 2000-3000the logs and some other helpful hints from places like http://www.ETGeocaching.com but does anyone else have any words of wisdom that they would like to share? And does anyone know how many hours to plan to walk the Alien Head and Space Ship? There will be six guys in the group. We're hoping to get 2500-3000 finds over the five day adventure.

You might want to specify that you don't want to hear advice from power trail haters like "don't bother." Hopefully you'll actually get some helpful feedback.

The ET geocachers site is blocked at my work, so I don't know how much they go into logistics. Certainly you're going to want plenty of water, gas cans, probably worth taking a few cans of fix a flat. A small shovel if you need to improvise a field latrine (can also help you dig out if you get into a soft patch). Might want to think about getting some MREs from a surplus store. And I'd freshen up the content of your portable music player of choice so you're not listening to the same old music.

If you do any of the caches in the area that are not part of the ET Highway numbers run trail, or part of the Alien Head or Space Ship geoart series, then I'd encourage you to write individual logs for them. Although it's probably a lost cause, given the number of copy-paste logs they get from others who are doing numbers runs in the area.

Do not forget "Mountain Money" >>>> toilet paper.

Roughly four hours for the Head Alien, another four for the UFO

Remember to have your wheels to the right of the fog line when you pull over and stop or you will be ticketed.

Even though you and others can see for many miles do not forget to use your signals and flashers.

Be vigilant for cattle at all times ... especially between dusk and dawn.

Be aware of sharp pokey plants and slithery desert critters.

Take time to "smell the roses" and use your camera.

You might want to specify that you don't want to hear advice from power trail haters like "don't bother." Hopefully you'll actually get some helpful feedback.

Tell you what, when people stop referring to those that have no interest in doing a power trail or have a generally critical view of power trails in general, as "haters", I'll stop posting my opinion about power trails.

Use 3 people-you have 6 so you are good-One driving. 2 with GPSs's One will load cache 1 the next will load cache 2. When you get to cache 1 that person will load cache 3 and so-on. I've never done the ET trail, but it looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere. Make sure someone knows where you are going, and arrange to phone them at a set time and if you don't for them to wait say an hour(in case you forget or whatever) and have them call Police to come get you if you are in trouble. Extra gas, food, water, water, and water. You can get heat stroke really easily. Oh don't forget to have fun.

If you do any of the caches in the area that are not part of the ET Highway numbers run trail, or part of the Alien Head or Space Ship geoart series, then I'd encourage you to write individual logs for them. Although it's probably a lost cause, given the number of copy-paste logs they get from others who are doing numbers runs in the area.

+1 at least if you sign the logs with a team name or stamp, state what name you used in the online logs, (signed log as team six guys) so that CO of the caches that aren't part of the power trail don't delete your logs when they compare the physical log with the online log.

Use 3 people-you have 6 so you are good-One driving. 2 with GPSs's One will load cache 1 the next will load cache 2. When you get to cache 1 that person will load cache 3 and so-on.

e.g. CHEAT Not every cacher on your team needs to get out of the vehicle or even sign the log.

Stamps are good in this case.

Do the 'Three-cache Monte'.

Get two vehicles and 'leap-frog' it.

I'll bet I can sign 'ACM' faster than you can get your stamp aligned with the paper. :laughing:

I'm not a 'Power Trail Hater' but I do despise the way people are running these trails and then calling it 'Geocaching'.

Lunar Crater. Valley of Fire. Pahranagat Man and other petroglyphs. Trilobites. Camo Dudes. The Old Spanish Trail. Boot hills, ghost towns, and abandoned bordellos. And if you have a little extra time, Toroweap for a once in a lifetime bucket list type of experience.

Schedule enough time to talk to Pat at the Inn and don't forget to look up now and then into the night sky. Even better if you can borrow third gen night vision goggles.

That should give you a lot of smileys, but there also are a lot of repetitive caches out there.

Edited by geodarts

We did the swap out. We had 4 in the rental minivan with a door left open on the right side. One drove, One spotted the cache and pointed, one stamped the logsheet with a group stamp, and one ran.

Guess who did most of the running?

I said I would never do another one, but now I almost want to, so I can burn off some pounds.

Forgot to mention we didn't try to do them all in one day. Our fearless leader had done the previous one and didn't want to get burned out so we broke off and did other types of caches too, like around the lake, an earthcache, the oldest in Nevada etc. Spend some time in Rachel. Bunch of friendly people. If you do try to do them in one day you will do what I did.

by saying "are we done yet" about ever 100 caches.

...state what name you used in the online logs, (signed log as team six guys) so that CO of the caches that aren't part of the power trail don't delete your logs when they compare the physical log with the online log.

:laughing:

Sorry, but I couldn't help myself. While this is excellent advice for most team geocaching outings, I really don't think it applies to the ET trail.

...state what name you used in the online logs, (signed log as team six guys) so that CO of the caches that aren't part of the power trail don't delete your logs when they compare the physical log with the online log.

Sorry, but I couldn't help myself. While this is excellent advice for most team geocaching outings, I really don't think it applies to the ET trail.

Why not? I fail to see why a geocache that is part of or near a power trail should be treated any differently than any other cache.

Why not? I fail to see why a geocache that is part of or near a power trail should be treated any differently than any other cache.

Because they are treated differently. While I'm not a power trail hater, I'm not a fan of them. The ET power trail is treated differently because of the leap frogging and the "pre-signed" film canisters being left, while the container is taken with them and left at the next stop. It's treated as needing to be done as fast as one can do. I don't tink I'd ever get around to doing the ET power trail, but if I did, I'm sure I'd only get a small section done.

If what he's saying that the logs never get checked is true, then I could find every 10 or so. I'd log them all saying I found them, and the caches would be in such a dis array that there would be no real proof to see which ones I did or didn't do.

Edited by gustav129

Now, I'd be up to doing a power trail (I haven't done one yet, so I really have no opinion on them) that is like 30-70 caches. Something I can use a whole day and take my time to find every cache, and if I didn't find a cache, then I don't worry about it. I've done parts of power trails during my streak. They are nice for having the cache for the day and a possible backup.

Well, nashuan, I told you. At least you got a few helpful replies before my prophecy was fulfilled.

Tell you what, when people stop referring to those that have no interest in doing a power trail or have a generally critical view of power trails in general, as "haters", I'll stop posting my opinion about power trails.

This is exactly what I knew would happen. Someone who is interested in knocking out a power trail asks a question that had nothing to do with whether power trails were a good idea or not. And now it's become yet another debate on power trails. I'm so glad I was able to give you an excuse to interject your opinion. :rolleyes:

I don't like power trails either. After trying my hand at a couple, I decided I didn't really enjoy them. So I don't seek them out anymore. But my personal preference against power trail caching didn't stop me from trying to give what I thought were helpful tips on taking a road trip in the desert to a fellow cacher who isn't from the southwest.

If it helps you to sleep at night, the next time a question like this comes up, I can use the term "the power trail adverse" instead of "power trail haters." Does that float your boat?

Because they are treated differently. While I'm not a power trail hater, I'm not a fan of them. The ET power trail is treated differently because of the leap frogging and the "pre-signed" film canisters being left, while the container is taken with them and left at the next stop. It's treated as needing to be done as fast as one can do. I don't tink I'd ever get around to doing the ET power trail, but if I did, I'm sure I'd only get a small section done.

If what he's saying that the logs never get checked is true, then I could find every 10 or so. I'd log them all saying I found them, and the caches would be in such a dis array that there would be no real proof to see which ones I did or didn't do.

Yes, power trail caches (PT)and those near them are treated differently by the finders. :blink: Throw down caches and 3 cache monte may be fine for the PT but not on caches that aren't part of the series. I've had to remove throw downs and delete logs from the caches I have near the Route 66 PT for those not signing the log book. It seems that there are those who just log every cache without signing all or maybe any when it comes to Power Trails.

For other caches not near the PT I don't have this problem. Hence please tell me how you signed the log book when you claim the smiley.

If it helps you to sleep at night, the next time a question like this comes up, I can use the term "the power trail adverse" instead of "power trail haters." Does that float your boat?
I think the word you're looking for is "averse".

Right you are. Thanks. My coffee has yet to kick in today, apparently.

Yes, power trail caches (PT)and those near them are treated differently by the finders. :blink: Throw down caches and 3 cache monte may be fine for the PT but not on caches that aren't part of the series. I've had to remove throw downs and delete logs from the caches I have near the Route 66 PT for those not signing the log book. It seems that there are those who just log every cache without signing all or maybe any when it comes to Power Trails.

For other caches not near the PT I don't have this problem. Hence please tell me how you signed the log book when you claim the smiley.

I agree with you. NYPaddleCacer is right, they shouldn't be treated differently, but they are. I don't treat caches in a power trail that I do any different than any other cache I find. But I haven't set out to do a power trail per se, only a cache here or a cache there. If the few that I do aren't very interesting, I'm not really motivated to go out and find the others at a later time.

Shucks whiz... Is that still happening? In a previous thread, I was assured that "shortcuts" like that were not spilling out to affect other caches, and were confined to caches on numbers run trails where the owners approved of such "shortcuts". Golly shucks whiz... I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you. :o

As someone else has said, take time to notice the terrain. You might see a cylinder cone volcano, black rock outcroppings, wild horses,rocks arranged to spell out a message, oldest cache in Nevada, cairns, rock dwelling, etc. I don't remember the endless stream of .1mi geocaches, but I do remember the extra things I took time to notice. Take pictures. Peoria Bill :>)

Please understand that he is talking about caches that are not part of the power trail. Caches that were on the highway long before the power trail caches were placed. Caches that are owned by people other than the ones that placed the power trail caches. He is suggesting that people treat those caches with the respect that they deserve as individual caches that are not part of the trail. I can't think of any reason why anyone would disagree with that.

I'd recommend staying overnight nearby and getting an early start. Pick a section of it you feel comfortable doing. Some of it is right off US 6, while much is off on sandy/dirt roads.

Get a rubber stamp, unless you enjoy writers cramp.

I did about 100 caches in a little loop, just for the heck of it. Dunno if I feel like doing more. It was interesting. At some point you begin to identify the locations by following tracks of previous cachers. Also, be sure your driver (or fetching passenger) door is to the side the caches are on. There isn't much traffic, but you don't want to get careless out there - it's the one time you don't look that you get hit.

I'm planning a trip to Nevada's E.T. Highway this spring (April). We've found some helpful advice like having a stamp made to save you from hand-signing each of 2000-3000the logs and some other helpful hints from places like http://www.ETGeocaching.com but does anyone else have any words of wisdom that they would like to share? And does anyone know how many hours to plan to walk the Alien Head and Space Ship? There will be six guys in the group. We're hoping to get 2500-3000 finds over the five day adventure.

My advice. If you find that you are not having fun. STOP! Bring a paper map and look at it. Drive over to Tonopah to the west and explore the shops. Plenty of caches around town to find as well. Look at the map and drive about 25 miles north of Caliente on US 93 and take the turn into Cathedral Gorge State Park. About 10 caches to find and a 4 mile loop hike through a mini Grand Canyon type landscape. Climb the stairs at the mid point to the lookout and take lots of pictures. Drive east from exit 75 on I-15 to Valley of Fire State Park. Bring an extra card for your camera as you may need it. Like I said, if your not having fun, stop and geocache the way that people used to before there was a power trail. Don't let some idea that you have to make your numbers goal keep you going along when you're not having fun any longer.

Edit: Quoted wrong post...

Edited by Don_J

The ET geocachers site is blocked at my work, so I don't know how much they go into logistics. Certainly you're going to want plenty of water, gas cans, probably worth taking a few cans of fix a flat. A small shovel if you need to improvise a field latrine (can also help you dig out if you get into a soft patch). Might want to think about getting some MREs from a surplus store. And I'd freshen up the content of your portable music player of choice so you're not listening to the same old music.

Six grown men might make good use of improvised latrines (every couple of miles), great tip. Will bring along the other items listed as well.Thanks for the input.

I'm known for writing long, detailed logs. Likely won't do that for the ET Trail itslef unless some specific reason warrents, but we've already discussed individual logs for the others and I can't agree more.

Do not forget "Mountain Money" >>>> toilet paper.

Roughly four hours for the Head Alien, another four for the UFO

Remember to have your wheels to the right of the fog line when you pull over and stop or you will be ticketed.

Even though you and others can see for many miles do not forget to use your signals and flashers.

Be vigilant for cattle at all times ... especially between dusk and dawn.

Be aware of sharp pokey plants and slithery desert critters.

Take time to "smell the roses" and use your camera.

"Mountain Money" - way too funny. Looking forward to introducing that new term to the crew.

I've done one power trail with a group totalling five cachers and I netted 143 finds over about 12-hours. I can understand some people's apprehension for the concept of PTs and in their thinking that it's not real geocaching, but honestly it was one of my best caching experiences. I am currently at around 2850 finds and have done the long hikes and mountain top thing, I have solved difficult puzzles and I have found containers that were hidden by sadistic hiders. All of these experiences have added something special to my overall caching career. On the day I made 143 finds, we as a group had a GREAT time chatting and "jumping" and When I was done I thought "there is no way you can do more caches than that without sleeping at cache#1. Obviously, you can if you know what to do; hence my original post.

After E.T., power trail caches will make upit the majority of my total find count (expecting to get ~2200 during our visit), but it will only be a small part of my overall experience of caching. One of the aspects I found intriguing with the one power trail that I DID do was in trying to shave off time from each cache - a challenge of sorts. Cutting off just 60 seconds from each of 600 caches equates to three hours of saved time over just one day. I am hoping to get helpful feedback on how to make this trip more efficient and more successful. It was not my intent to bring up the question of whether PTs are good or not. I appreciate the additional suggestions of things to do besides the PT caches and will take those to heart but I'd like to have a thread that others could use for finding methods of efficiency to make their own trips more successful. Like one tip I read saying to bring a can opener to open each film cannister, as the covers will tend to dig into your flesh affer doing so many hundreds.

On the day I made 143 finds, we as a group had a GREAT time chatting and "jumping"

This is the thing I puzzle over, when people discuss power trails.

Was the fun generated by the group out caching, or that fact that the group was power-trailing? I suspect in most (all?) cases the group of cachers had a blast because of the people they were with, all doing something they enjoyed.

I've made several (6) out-of-state trips solely to go caching across multiple states. The first and last were solo, and were far less enjoyable than the other 4 which included at least one other cacher. Our goal is to find at least one per state, and have a few laughs and eat great local food. On our last group trip through 5 midwestern states, we found less than 50 caches over three days. We had a blast. We visited John Wayn'e birthplace, and saw all but two of hte remaining bridges of Madison County. We co-hosted an event with a lcoal and met 30+ of the area cachers. We had BBQ and steak and more than a few beers. And huge amounts of fun and laughter througout the whole trip.

If we were on a numbers type run, I know we would not have had as much fun.

BBWolf&3pigs: in my experience, the group of people I was with made a good trip great. If I did that PT solo I would definitely not have had the enjoyment from it that I did. But also, there are special memories associated with that trip because we got so many. Part of the fun was trying to find ways to beat the clock. We as a team worked together toward a common goal. Parts of our strategy was as simple as understanding the roads we were traveling, what side of the street each one was on, bringing lunch so we wouldn't have to return to town and interrupt our flow, and changing out players periodically. One of our mistakes was to have two or three of us jump at each cache. Before you knew it everyone was getting tired. We should have alternated and should also have used a stamp. We used a group name but signed each one by hand. Probably took a few seconds extra per cache (we at least did use a group name). Caching through multi-states would be cool to do also and be just as enjoyable in different ways, but in that case you're not trying to emulate some sort of pit crew, you're probably more trying to lay out your best route.

Caching through multi-states would be cool to do also and be just as enjoyable in different ways, but in that case you're not trying to emulate some sort of pit crew, you're probably more trying to lay out your best route.

All of hte work is up front. I look at where we need to go, and look for cool caches, or cool locations to explore. I cherry pick down to about 100 or less caches that go on a "green list". We are very fluid in our plans, and things change in real time, based on conditions.

Once we get the one cache per state, we can relax, and not feel pressured into stopping at all the caches between point A and B.

Working this way, we also have time to stop and smell the roses (such as spending about 4 hours in Winterset, IA at the bridges and John Wayne's home). Stopping every 528' with a goal of seeing how many you can do probably doesn't leave a lot of sight seeing time.

I've done one power trail with a group totalling five cachers and I netted 143 finds over about 12-hours. I can understand some people's apprehension for the concept of PTs and in their thinking that it's not real geocaching, but honestly it was one of my best caching experiences. I am currently at around 2850 finds and have done the long hikes and mountain top thing, I have solved difficult puzzles and I have found containers that were hidden by sadistic hiders. All of these experiences have added something special to my overall caching career. On the day I made 143 finds, we as a group had a GREAT time chatting and "jumping" and When I was done I thought "there is no way you can do more caches than that without sleeping at cache#1. Obviously, you can if you know what to do; hence my original post.

After E.T., power trail caches will make upit the majority of my total find count (expecting to get ~2200 during our visit), but it will only be a small part of my overall experience of caching. One of the aspects I found intriguing with the one power trail that I DID do was in trying to shave off time from each cache - a challenge of sorts. Cutting off just 60 seconds from each of 600 caches equates to three hours of saved time over just one day. I am hoping to get helpful feedback on how to make this trip more efficient and more successful. It was not my intent to bring up the question of whether PTs are good or not. I appreciate the additional suggestions of things to do besides the PT caches and will take those to heart but I'd like to have a thread that others could use for finding methods of efficiency to make their own trips more successful. Like one tip I read saying to bring a can opener to open each film cannister, as the covers will tend to dig into your flesh affer doing so many hundreds.

I wasn't trying to dissuade you from doing the power trail, just putting out the idea to have some alternatives if after a 1000 or so caches, you all decide, "enough". 143 finds in 12 hours is nothing like finding 143 in an hour and a half. I had 75 FTFs on the first ET power trail and after 100 caches solo, I reached a point where I decided, okay, I've had my experience to add to my caching repertoire, now let's go find a place to pitch the tent and relax.

Never thought about a can opener. I'd attach it to my wrist with a lanyard. Find something soft so that doesn't become a problem itself.

Like one tip I read saying to bring a can opener to open each film cannister, as the covers will tend to dig into your flesh affer doing so many hundreds.
Never thought about a can opener. I'd attach it to my wrist with a lanyard. Find something soft so that doesn't become a problem itself.
I was thinking about what one could wrap around a churchkey can opener as protection, but then thought that perhaps wrapping your thumb (e.g., with the self-grip tape used by blood centers to hold the gauze bandage on your arm) might be more practical and effective. (Personally, I'd just stop opening dozens of film canisters an hour, but...)
Like one tip I read saying to bring a can opener to open each film cannister, as the covers will tend to dig into your flesh affer doing so many hundreds.
I was thinking about what one could wrap around a churchkey can opener as protection, but then thought that perhaps wrapping your thumb (e.g., with the self-grip tape used by blood centers to hold the gauze bandage on your arm) might be more practical and effective. (Personally, I'd just stop opening dozens of film canisters an hour, but...)

Just wear a pair of leather gloves. Don't need to overengineer this thing. :rolleyes:

Just wear a pair of leather gloves. Don't need to overengineer this thing. :rolleyes:

I awful with gloves, even with my skin tight Mechanic's Wear gloves. I would never be able to get the logs out of the film cans.

I awful with gloves, even with my skin tight Mechanic's Wear gloves. I would never be able to get the logs out of the film cans.

Excellent point. I hate wearing gloves but was thinking about doing so for this trip but my gloved paws would never be able to manipulate the paper logs out of the film canninsters fast enough.

Excellent point. I hate wearing gloves but was thinking about doing so for this trip but my gloved paws would never be able to manipulate the paper logs out of the film canninsters fast enough.

But, you have six guys. Just pop the top and throw everything to one of your partners.