Noobie type question about cache container

Hi all. I'm new to geocaching and just hid my first cache a few days ago ((It's been posted ... http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5Y6P3_t-o-e-1 for those interested in the area)). Anyway, I have what probably is a dumb question ... my dad brought home 4 Copenhagen tins from one of his co-workers and said "Here, you can use these to hide caches in if you want." I washed them out and they are currently soaking in bleach water cause yeah, they smell bad of tobacco. If I can get the smell gone, I plan on spray painting the top black and hope to use them to hide caches in. Is this allowed? Using chewing tobacco tins I mean? If not, I'll find something else to use them for. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi all. I'm new to geocaching and just hid my first cache a few days ago ((It's been posted ... http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5Y6P3_t-o-e-1 for those interested in the area)). Anyway, I have what probably is a dumb question ... my dad brought home 4 Copenhagen tins from one of his co-workers and said "Here, you can use these to hide caches in if you want." I washed them out and they are currently soaking in bleach water cause yeah, they smell bad of tobacco. If I can get the smell gone, I plan on spray painting the top black and hope to use them to hide caches in. Is this allowed? Using chewing tobacco tins I mean? If not, I'll find something else to use them for. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've seen some and they seem to work pretty well; they seem more watertight than some other containers that are widely used. I do appreciate if they are thoroughly cleaned. :grin:

I've seen a couple of them over the years... literally. They should work if you put them in a fairly sheltered area, pretty much out of the weather. The ones that I found still smelled like the old contents, but I don't know if they had been treated like you are doing.