Apps that let you log caches privately?

Trying to find the best app for logging caches privately- as in not on-site. The best one I found so far is called GeoView Cache, it doesn't log the find anywhere but within the app and I can email myself a PDF of all the logged caches. I really like functionality like this, I'm wondering if anyone else uses something similar?

I agree, when did this game become all about our own gratification?? I think you should have a reasonable amount of privacy if you use an alias for your user ID and of course no one is forced to post pictures. I think the idea of logging caches off site is lame and really speaks to a lack of experience on the part of the person doing it. Stop being paranoid and start giving back to the community.

Trying to find the best app for logging caches privately- as in not on-site. The best one I found so far is called GeoView Cache, it doesn't log the find anywhere but within the app and I can email myself a PDF of all the logged caches. I really like functionality like this, I'm wondering if anyone else uses something similar?

The paid Official Geocaching App (at least the Android one) allows a private Personal Cache Note that also propagates to the cache page on the web site. That's probably not as fancy as what you already do.

I agree, when did this game become all about our own gratification?? I think you should have a reasonable amount of privacy if you use an alias for your user ID and of course no one is forced to post pictures. I think the idea of logging caches off site is lame and really speaks to a lack of experience on the part of the person doing it. Stop being paranoid and start giving back to the community.

While I certainly hope that the OP will take to heart the requests to log online, there is a long history of some people not logging online. Its nothing new.

Forum topic from 2001

Many more

Edited by knowschad

There probably is something that will let you do what you want, but I think that people that don't log online shouldn't be caching at all!

Cache hiders need to know that people are finding their caches, and should get at least a TFTC in thanks, or why hide at all!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

For what it's worth I would say ignore all the negative comments above and carry on doing it your way. You're not the first cacher who choses not to log online, and you won't be the last; reasons for doing so vary from "I just don't see the point" through to "I've got an abusive ex partner who's stalking me" and whatever your reason it's perfectly fine.

now where's the popcorn avatar?

Why is not logging it online such a big deal? Yeah I get that the person who placed the cache wants people to find it and know when people find it, but I just don't care for it. I found it, I logged it, and I had fun, so whether I show it online or not shouldnt really matter

Why is not logging it online such a big deal? Yeah I get that the person who placed the cache wants people to find it and know when people find it, but I just don't care for it. I found it, I logged it, and I had fun, so whether I show it online or not shouldnt really matter

When you put it that way, it does sound like a lot fun.

If I had you over for dinner, would you just eat and leave?

Only if the food made me ill. :ph34r:

and whatever your reason it's perfectly fine.

No.

It's parasitic.

Don't be so pompous.

If not logging online became common, the game would lose something. But it seems that there's a long history of a small % of people not logging.

Near here a cacher caught up with her log entries after a year of not logging. I can't imagine all of the extra work.

No. I'd drink your beer too.

No, because that's a completely different concept. Socially interacting with people and sharing a meal is very different from going alone to a location on a map looking for a secret box or whatever.

The point others are making is that you found, logged, and had fun finding a cache only because another geocacher spent time, money, and energy to place it. It's just basic courtesy to thank that person for contributing to your fun.

If I had you over for dinner, I don't need you to write me a thank you letter. If you enjoyed the meal, that's thanks enough for me.

I almost can understand the modus operandi of the PO on a egocentric way, but let me ask just some questions.

1 - Do you still won't log online if you think that any cache needs maintenance... or archiving?

2 - Do you still won't log online if you grab or drop any trackable?

PS: If everybody does the same thing... geocaching didn't exist whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't hide any more caches.

Edited by Kelux

If not logging online became common, the game would lose something. But it seems that there's a long history of a small % of people not logging.

Perhaps it is already common, how can we tell? I've certainly found people who've signed the logs in my caches and never logged them online. But I can't imaging it ever becoming the norm so I don't see any cause for concern and I certainly don't think we should berate anyone for choosing to do it.

How on earth do you say thanks to the hiders, if you don't log on the website?

No kidding. While many of the logs I get are pretty bland (TFTC), some make hiding these things worthwhile. They inspire me to go hide another and be as inventive as possible.

As a cache owner I 100% agree. It's meaningful logs that are the motivator. They encourage me to continure to creative something fun for the finder. I won't know if it's fun unless I get feedback.

But I do understand that some people value their privacy. I have heard, in the forums, of ex-spouses that stalk their geocaching ex to see where they've been. Some cachers don't necessarily want anyone who knows their trailname to be able to go into their account and get a chronological list of where she has been.

Maybe those people who don't log their finds might do so if they could keep the find list private.

To be fair, maybe you could email the owner to thank them if you enjoyed the experience. That way you show your appreciation and encourage a good hider, plus you don't have an online record.

Personally I don't know how people manage without logging online. How do you filter out the caches you've found. Do you end up re-finding caches a lot? After 10+ years of caching there's no way I could sort of which caches I've found and which I haven't without logging online.

Edited by L0ne.R

If I had you over for dinner, I don't need you to write me a thank you letter. If you enjoyed the meal, that's thanks enough for me.

How would you know if they enjoyed the meal?

I almost can understand the modus operandi of the PO on a egocentric way, but let me ask just some questions.

1 - Do you still won't log online if you think that any cache needs maintenance... or archiving?

2 - Do you still won't log online if you grab or drop any trackable?

PS: If everybody does the same thing... geocaching didn't exist whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't hide any more caches.

+1

No thanks for the person who hid that cache for him to not log.

No records of NM or NA. No records for trackables...

"I got mine...". Sad.

Odd thing is, a couple others said kinda the same thing not too long ago. Weird.

FWIW, there are other people who post Note logs online, but who never post Found It logs. So the CO still gets the notification that someone found the cache, but the online logs aren't listed on their geocaching.com profile.

I've yet to see someone do this. So how do they filter out their finds?

How do you filter out the caches you've found. Do you end up re-finding caches a lot? After 10+ years of caching there's no way I could sort of which caches I've found and which I haven't without logging online.

If you maintain an offline database with GSAK or similar then it's very simple. You download the caches from GC.com into your chosen database, which knows which you've already found and filters them out.

Perhaps it is already common, how can we tell? I've certainly found people who've signed the logs in my caches and never logged them online. But I can't imaging it ever becoming the norm so I don't see any cause for concern and I certainly don't think we should berate anyone for choosing to do it.

I've even witnessed it while walking my dog near my caches and others in the area. A mom and son were bicycling and stopped pulled out their cell phones and started to search a tree. I almost asked if they were geocaching but decided to continue on and not disturb their hunt. Then I saw them again a little later as they headed over to one of my caches. Later, I waited for their online logs. They never logged online, they did sign the paper log. My guess is it was just something to try on a Saturday afternoon.

I don't mind the occasional non-logger. The meaningful loggers fortunately are plentiful enough in my area to make up for the non-loggers and the acronym-only and cut-n-paste loggers.

I would most likely see it on their face and hear them enjoy it across the table from me.

As for caches, I would enjoy the online find logs I do get, savor the notes that others post in lieu of finds, and trust that I was putting out decent caches even in the absence of any online feedback. When I check the logbook, I would also note that extra names which did not appear online also reflects additional finds which did not result in complaints and therefore assume they enjoyed it.

In short, I would hide caches that I enjoy hiding. That's all the reward I need.

1zd0hs0.jpg

It is just sad when you are playing some other game with our caches.

But you do realise that the main reason why GC.com encourage people to log online has very little to do with your satisfaction as a CO and has EVERYTHING to do with bringing traffic to the site so they get more hits on their inline ads.

FWIW, there are other people who post Note logs online, but who never post Found It logs. So the CO still gets the notification that someone found the cache, but the online logs aren't listed on their geocaching.com profile.

I've yet to see someone do this. So how do they filter out their finds?

GSAK

1zd0hs0.jpg

It is just sad when you are playing some other game with our caches.

You dont know the whole story... some people have to be private due to stalkers or jobs.

I know some people have to "hide" due to their controlling/stalking exs.

I know a guy in my area thats geocaching and I will say hes little "crazy", but he doesnt log anything or even sign the log sheet!! I know hes out caching because he told me he found them and I didnt believe him and he told me how it was hidden and etc. He have to find it to know that much details.

I will tell you how much privacy you got on GS...a big fat zero. There are tools out there that will pull any of your logs and list them out in a database. Again, I said, ANY LOGS and that's not just your found it logs. And from there, you can placed them on the map. Boom! All in a few seconds. Its really scary because stalkers will use that tool. :blink: Logging them really late wont help you at all, the tool will pull that out as well.(the tool pull any logs base on the day you log it online, not the day you found it) :ph34r:

And what about creating a new account?

They don't care about the numbers, after all (which is a good thing at least).

Not logging looks like they are trying to punish the owners... assuming that the only logs will be Notes, DNF's, NM's and NA's.

But you do realise that the main reason why GC.com encourage people to log online has very little to do with your satisfaction as a CO and has EVERYTHING to do with bringing traffic to the site so they get more hits on their inline ads.

What ads? Never saw an ad on gc. :lol:

But you do realise that the main reason why GC.com encourage people to log online has very little to do with your satisfaction...

It is a little bit contradictory... when everybody (loggers and non-loggers) need the caches published on the website to play (even if you use any app).

So it is OK for them to log into the website to download any cache details, but not to log a Found It???

Edited by Kelux

And what about creating a new account?

They don't care about the numbers, after all (which is a good thing at least).

Not logging looks like they are trying to punish the owners... assuming that the only logs will be Notes, DNF's, NM's and NA's.

Why you are so dead set to get a found it log? I am a CO and if someone wanna find my caches and not log them, thats ok with me. Its just a game, nothing is serious. I geocache to have fun and nothing else.

Getting a new account is "good" but you can figured out who the new cachers are. Sometime is just best to hide and not log anything. Geocache world is too small. :ph34r:

What ads? Never saw an ad on gc. :lol:

Turn off that blocker that you got running. :lol:

No. I'd drink your beer too.

You are definitely coming for dinner, then!

No, because that's a completely different concept. Socially interacting with people and sharing a meal is very different from going alone to a location on a map looking for a secret box or whatever.

It is? Who put that box there for you to find, and why? Who maintains it when it needs help? It takes time and money to put a cache out and maintain it. If everybody thought as you do, there would probably not be any geocaching.

How are you going to know that I enjoyed the meal?

By the amount of beer you are drinking. :lol:

I would most likely see it on their face and hear them enjoy it across the table from me.

As for caches, I would enjoy the online find logs I do get, savor the notes that others post in lieu of finds, and trust that I was putting out decent caches even in the absence of any online feedback. When I check the logbook, I would also note that extra names which did not appear online also reflects additional finds which did not result in complaints and therefore assume they enjoyed it.

In short, I would hide caches that I enjoy hiding. That's all the reward I need.

Exactly! You would be getting feedback. In that case, it would be because they were in your presence, but when a cacher finds your log, he is not.

I don't generally check the log book against the online logs. I'm surprised that you do, actually.

And as to your last statement, I guess all I can say is that we all hide caches for our own reasons. Me, I like to see the online logs come rolling in. When they stop, I start thinking about archiving the cache.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=333102&view=findpost&p=5517734

http://forums.Ground...dpost&p=5517734

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=333102&view=findpost&p=5517791

:lol:

Exactly! You would be getting feedback. In that case, it would be because they were in your presence, but when a cacher finds your log, he is not.

I don't generally check the log book against the online logs. I'm surprised that you do, actually.

And as to your last statement, I guess all I can say is that we all hide caches for our own reasons. Me, I like to see the online logs come rolling in. When they stop, I start thinking about archiving the cache.

I don't check the logbook. But if I were concerned with feedback, it is one way to get it.

And the less email I get the happier I am. I would like to be alerted to problems with the cache though. But regular maintenance takes care of that as well.