Where do I find a locking container?

I would like to create a cache to eagle series of caches in my county. One of the eagle projects that I think will make a great cache location is a life jacket lending station. Someone else has already mounted a book exchange on one side of the station, so I expect that he will grant me permission to mount a geocache on the other side. I have found caches like this before: locked boxes mounted to fences and the like, in plain site. I like them, but I am wondering where I might find a box like this to put a lock on. Have any of you ever hidden a box like this? Where did you buy it? Thanks for your help.

A locking container? They are literally found everywhere. From a safe, a lockbox, pelican case, jewelry box, foot locker, new electrical panels (new because the holes for wires won't be punched out yet) C-can (a shipping container) and they even make lock kits for ammo cans. Basically it's your choice on size, material and cost. Obviously an ammo can, or pelican case are better than a box made from untreated balsa wood.

Or you could build your own to suit your exact needs on size, shape, and material.

Really, a quick Google search will bring up many containers. Some suitable for outdoors, some not.

Edited by T.D.M.22

The only commercially sold locked geocaches I've found have been micro-sized containers: the kind of combination-lock keyholders used by real estate agents to secure keys. The larger locked containers I've seen have been adapted by the owner, such as an ammo box with a padlock hasp added to it.

There is a very popular series of caches in my area made from birdhouses, and you have to solve a puzzle in the field to get the key or combination to the lock. I don't know if they are completely homemade, or if they bought the birdhouses and modified them. GC5Q04C is one of them - I'm sure if you contact the owners they will give you some assistance in creating your own birdhouse caches.

There is a very popular series of caches in my area made from birdhouses, and you have to solve a puzzle in the field to get the key or combination to the lock.

A cacher friend of mine makes birdhouses, and she modified three for me, so they have locking doors. I have marine bungee cord, and might add eyelets to the sides of each birdhouse, so the bungee cord wraps around a tree or post. These boxes are designed to be hardware-mounted, but I'll try to set these up in a place where bungee cord will do.

I'm designing one with a peephole door viewer, and it is to remain locked, since it's a puzzle to gather info or coordinates. Cachers will peer inside and see clues.

2a095676-7832-407a-b151-2b4b205b9f9c.jpg

f7165444-097c-4d6b-b213-351a225594ef.jpg

There is a very popular series of caches in my area made from birdhouses, and you have to solve a puzzle in the field to get the key or combination to the lock.

A cacher friend of mine makes birdhouses, and she modified three for me, so they have locking doors. I have marine bungee cord, and might add eyelets to the sides of each birdhouse, so the bungee cord wraps around a tree or post. These boxes are designed to be hardware-mounted, but I'll try to set these up in a place where bungee cord will do.

I'm designing one with a peephole door viewer, and it is to remain locked, since it's a puzzle to gather info or coordinates. Cachers will peer inside and see clues.

2a095676-7832-407a-b151-2b4b205b9f9c.jpg

f7165444-097c-4d6b-b213-351a225594ef.jpg

Have you ever seen one of those "magic boxes" that has a mirror inside that make it appear that the box is empty? That might make an interesting addition for your puzzle.

Have you ever seen one of those "magic boxes" that has a mirror inside that make it appear that the box is empty? That might make an interesting addition for your puzzle.

That would be very cool!

The Geocache Trail in Jackson County, Georgia has elaborate puzzle box birdhouses (larger than mine), and one that lights up inside and makes a creepy warbling sound, when you figure out the box, and then there are more calculations after that. It uses the innards of some Halloween toy, I think. :anicute:

The locked ammo box is fairly popular. I made one and have almost zero talent for constructing things. The realtor type combo locks are also a good choice, and sound ideal for what you are proposing. I have one on the side of my house for an extra key that mounts flush to the house using two screws.

If the owner of that station gives you permission to screw one into the side, then go for it. Just make sure you mention you have special permission for the hide on the page so newbies don't see it and start screwing the things in all over the place. Also, discuss it with your reviewer before hand. Many have issues with such a hide, even with permission, because of the example it sets.

Edited by briansnat