Wrong Coordinates

YakDiver

Hi I placed a new cache out and checked the coordinates three time before getting it reviewed and on my GPS I was getting within 3 feet of it, yet when people found it I was told it was a long way out up to 96 meters away.

Now when going after other caches using the same GPS it is spot on so it can't be down to the GPS so what's going on.

There can be some variation depending on the type of GPS you're using, but 96 meters is a bit out of the ordinary. Right off, I'd say there was something wrong with the way the FTF'ers were doing it, and not you. They approached in a car, so they may have had a bit of overshoot problem, where the GPS can't quite keep up with their speed of approach. Sounds like you waypoint averaged, which is the correct way of doing it. Looking at the maps and Street View, I'd say your original coordinates were probably correct, but time will tell.

Hi I placed a new cache out and checked the coordinates three time before getting it reviewed and on my GPS I was getting within 3 feet of it, yet when people found it I was told it was a long way out up to 96 meters away.

Now when going after other caches using the same GPS it is spot on so it can't be down to the GPS so what's going on.

that's about right if they're using a phone with Google services and Wi-Fi included in the location settings. of they were only using the phone GPS antenna, they wouldn't have noticed a difference.

Wait, how did people find it if the coords were supposedly 96 meters off???

Wait, how did people find it if the coords were supposedly 96 meters off???

The Hint was pretty explicit. I could even see the object near the cache in Street View :)

I just checked out the cache in Google Earth and Street View. The logs do not mention 96 meters, but 60 meters.

The coords of the cache are corrected now, 96 meters. But if it's somewhere near the fence, they are still off. Now 35 meters the other way.

@CO: are you sure the settings in your GPSr are correct? WGS84 and hddd° mm.mmm? Did you properly average the waypoint? I can't explain it otherwise.

@CO: are you sure the settings in your GPSr are correct? WGS84 and hddd° mm.mmm? Did you properly average the waypoint? I can't explain it otherwise.

Hi yes the GPS is set up to WGS84 and hddd° mm.mmm, I have been using GPS for the last 16 years so I'm no stranger to that, when I got to the cache place the first time I took the coords from the road, I then went down the path to come in from the other way both coords matched.

A week later I was passing and took the coords again, still OK, when I placed the cache I did it once again to make sure same coords .

The GPS has been fine when looking for other caches, so it can't be the GPS so I'm baffled too.