Geocaching in Philippines

Pacific NW

After searching the forums and looking through the threads, I was wondering if anyone had any new info on caching in the Philippines? We are headed to Luzon with family later in the year, starting in Manila and working our way north to visit relatives. It appears that caching hasn't really taken off in the P.I., as the maps seem to indicate around 85 caches for the whole country! Considering bringing our Foretrex 401 and just loading up the ~85 total caches, and downloading the details offline to the iPhone for reference.

Since we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a good map of the Philippines? Looks like there are a few on Amazon, and that's about it.

Thanks in advance!

After searching the forums and looking through the threads, I was wondering if anyone had any new info on caching in the Philippines? We are headed to Luzon with family later in the year, starting in Manila and working our way north to visit relatives. It appears that caching hasn't really taken off in the P.I., as the maps seem to indicate around 85 caches for the whole country! Considering bringing our Foretrex 401 and just loading up the ~85 total caches, and downloading the details offline to the iPhone for reference.

Since we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a good map of the Philippines? Looks like there are a few on Amazon, and that's about it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Yes, you're right, geocaching hasn't really taken off here. In fact, I only learned about geocaching from a German colleague whom I met up with in Jakarta just last month. :) Disappointed that I won't be able to do much geocache hunting. Planning to hide some geocaches soon though, I'm still working on my containers. :)

Anyway, make sure to have a look at the descriptions/logs of some caches, as a lot seem to not be maintained (lots of DNFs). you might as well skip looking for the ones with multiple and recent DNFs. I will try to update/replace some of the caches that were DNFs by me also.

For the map, I suggest you purchase the map here. But I need to ask what kind of map you are looking for. Anything specific? If you need a roap map for driving, the best one that I've used so far is a brand called CitiAtlas. Purchasable at all bookstores, not quite sure about convenient stores. But we locals are pretty much just using google maps. :)

Hope this helps.

Pinoy from Singapore. I have some couple of TBs that I can bring out in PH by next month. Any small caches near Manila that I can dropped these.

Pinoy from Hong Kong & China. There will be an event in Makati on March 11 --> GC5K56D Cachers' Meet'n'Greet. If you are around Manila on that day, you could take your TBs to that event. Can't think of any small size cache containers in Manila, except for GC3012 Ifugao Hut. But Ifugao Hut is notorious for missing trackables. Good luck and have fun.

Edited by ariusche

Hi there,

Hey, has there been any more development on this front in the intervening two years?

I'm a Filipino expat living in Sydney but I recently visited Metro Manila, and the situation was pretty dismal (3 virtuals, a Wherigo, and four active traditionals found) - would like to find active cachers who live in Metro Manila - it would be nice to brainstorm ways to have geocaches that last out in the wild for longer, or are tied to institutions the way a lot of caches are done here.