Permission to hide

M&M&M

Are there ANY types of hide locations that wouldn't require permission to be obtained from an owner/land manager?

There is an argument that there is "implied permission" in some public places like parks. This is called the "Frisbee Rule." In other words, safe & legal outdoor activities are generally okay, and that includes caching.

As for shopping center parking lot hides, if anyone has a written permission letter from the head of the corporation 1,000 miles away, I suggest that you auction it on EBay for $1 million!

Are there ANY types of hide locations that wouldn't require permission to be obtained from an owner/land manager?

A lot of the time, most land managers or officials don't seem to know anything about geocaching. For a long time, Ontario Parks would only allow "virtual" caches. Cute, considering that "virtuals" had been disallowed by Groundspeak years and years earlier.

So "type" of cache probably does not play into permission at all.

Some good info can be found on your Reviewer's profile page:

https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=5790d023-6562-4d39-8ee4-4230f476ab36

Not just permission needed for a lot of places, but also permits.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

It is best to get permission regardless of whether or not it's "implied". There are many reasons why you should do this. Here's an example.

There are 62 acres of open space in our town where passive recreation is allowed. Half of the property has a Conservation Restriction on it which means that some areas are off limits due to animal and plant habitats. By seeking permission from the land managers you can avoid placing a cache in these areas and inadvertently damaging these natural habitats.

It's always wise to seek permission. Not only dose it protect you, but it lets the land owner/manager know you intend on being a responsible cache owner.

Edited by justintim1999
It is best to get permission regardless of whether or not it's "implied".
But keep in mind that the property managers for some parks and open spaces have created geocaching policies, and as long as your cache complies with their geocaching policy, it has permission. They actually don't want to review every single cache before it is placed. They just want you to follow the policy.
But keep in mind that the property managers for some parks and open spaces have created geocaching policies, and as long as your cache complies with their geocaching policy, it has permission. They actually don't want to review every single cache before it is placed. They just want you to follow the policy.

In some cases Your probably right.

I've placed a few caches on property managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation who have an open geocaching policy.

In those situations it was more of a "I am" than it was a "can I?"

A lot of the time, most land managers or officials don't seem to know anything about geocaching. For a long time, Ontario Parks would only allow "virtual" caches. Cute, considering that "virtuals" had been disallowed by Groundspeak years and years earlier.

So "type" of cache probably does not play into permission at all.

Some good info can be found on your Reviewer's profile page:

https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=5790d023-6562-4d39-8ee4-4230f476ab36

Not just permission needed for a lot of places, but also permits.

B.

Thank you for the link to my reviewer's page. I may contact him/her if I don't get sufficient answers from you kind folks, I just don't want to bother him/her unnecessarily and get on the "Oh, brother" list right out of the gate!

There is an argument that there is "implied permission" in some public places like parks. This is called the "Frisbee Rule." In other words, safe & legal outdoor activities are generally okay, and that includes caching.

As for shopping center parking lot hides, if anyone has a written permission letter from the head of the corporation 1,000 miles away, I suggest that you auction it on EBay for $1 million!

Thank you for your reply! So are you saying that LPCs get published without land owner/manager permission? And what about guardrails? Are hiders actually getting permission from the DOT for these?

There are some park systems that are OK with caching and don't require a permit/permission. So essentially you have their permission.

In some cases Your probably right. I've placed a few caches on property managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation who have an open geocaching policy. In those situations it was more of a "I am" than it was a "can I?"

Thank you all for your replies. I have yet to find my local parks' geocaching policies, so I suppose I'll try to call once I get my phone dried out from my last river caching adventure. :signalviolin: *fingers crossed

Thank you for your reply! So are you saying that LPCs get published without land owner/manager permission? And what about guardrails? Are hiders actually getting permission from the DOT for these?

I doubt if most people are getting permission for LPC's and guardrails. If they acutally had to put in any time or effort tracking down permission for these types of hides we'd probbibly hava a lot less of them.

Please, chuck that fisbee stright in the trash. Get permission. Don't rely on "geneerally okay" or "implied permission". Better safe than sorry.

Edited by justintim1999

I doubt if most people are getting permission for LPC's and guardrails. If they actually had to put in any time or effort tracking down permission for these types of hides we'd probbibly hava a lot less of them.

Please, chuck that fisbee stright in the trash. Get permission. Don't rely on "generally okay" or "implied permission". Better safe than sorry.