"Country Cowboy Western Larry W Jones" Coin Found Glued Along Trail in Rocky Mtn National Park

DidYouSayBeer

Miles along the Glacier Gorge trail in the Colorado autumn breeze, my feet (which overpowered the neural connection to my eyes) saw an irresistible boulder slightly off the beaten path that would be perfect for a sit. While my brother was taking a picture nearby, I figured I had a few minutes to rest my aching legs and I hiked up to the rock beckoning me to rest my legs. However, there was just one smaller, palm-sized rock in the way of me being able to lie back with my eyes closed towards the sun. As I lifted up this offending rock, I found myself staring down at a completely unexpected and curious item... a bronze cowboy looking back up at me. It was a "Country Cowboy Western Larry W Jones" coin glued right there to the boulder itself! I called my well-ventured brother over and he became just as ecstatic as I was as he told me I must have found a geocache in the wild... what are the chances? Walking along miles of trails up to 9838ft, seeing a rock that looked perfect for a rest, lifting up a stone, and suddenly coming across someone else's treasure?

The find:

2015-10-03-016-e1461191141104.jpg

Hidden under this rock:

2015-10-03-013-e1461191208233.jpg

Near here:

2015-10-03-012.jpg

As many former-muggles would likely put in their first post, I'm brand new to geocaching. Have heard about it for a fairly long time, but never officially joined until today. This prompted me though to re-visit a unique and totally unexpected cache I found deep in the Rocky Mountain National Park near Boulder, CO.

I'm writing this post because I haven't found any record online yet of this being an official, claimed cache and I'd really like to add it to the community. However, as it is in the national parks, perhaps that's why it was never added to the site. If anybody (especially a moderator) believes I can and should add this as an official cache I will, even though I cannot checkup on it at all.

Hope you enjoyed that little story, and if you have any suggestions or have found any existing detail on this coin, please reply below!

Cool find!

You might be able to make this a virtual stage of a multicache. Multis can have virtual stages. You'd have to have the final outside of the park, or get Park Service permission to place the final in the park. Can't just make it a virtual cache by itself, unfortunately, as new virtual caches can't be created anymore.

if you have any suggestions or have found any existing detail on this coin, please reply below!

That's odd, to "glue" a coin like that and cover it with a rock. I guess the rock was there to hold it while the glue set. The glue looks fresh, like the coin was just now placed there. Looks like ordinary craft paste. Are there a lot of things glued to stuff in that park? The park manager should be notified. I'm sure it's not permanent on a moss-covered rock. But they will want to remove that.

Edited by kunarion

Not surprising, but no record in the database of any sort for those coordinates. Looks like a keepsake someone picked up at a gift shop. Too bad they decided it was a good idea to deface our Parks :( In terms of vandalism, I'd put it right up there with the brilliance of Glenn Taylor, David Hall and Casey Nocket.

Miles along the Glacier Gorge trail in the Colorado autumn breeze, my feet (which overpowered the neural connection to my eyes) saw an irresistible boulder slightly off the beaten path that would be perfect for a sit. While my brother was taking a picture nearby, I figured I had a few minutes to rest my aching legs and I hiked up to the rock beckoning me to rest my legs. However, there was just one smaller, palm-sized rock in the way of me being able to lie back with my eyes closed towards the sun. As I lifted up this offending rock, I found myself staring down at a completely unexpected and curious item... a bronze cowboy looking back up at me. It was a "Country Cowboy Western Larry W Jones" coin glued right there to the boulder itself! I called my well-ventured brother over and he became just as ecstatic as I was as he told me I must have found a geocache in the wild... what are the chances? Walking along miles of trails up to 9838ft, seeing a rock that looked perfect for a rest, lifting up a stone, and suddenly coming across someone else's treasure?

The find:

2015-10-03-016-e1461191141104.jpg

Hidden under this rock:

2015-10-03-013-e1461191208233.jpg

Near here:

2015-10-03-012.jpg

As many former-muggles would likely put in their first post, I'm brand new to geocaching. Have heard about it for a fairly long time, but never officially joined until today. This prompted me though to re-visit a unique and totally unexpected cache I found deep in the Rocky Mountain National Park near Boulder, CO.

I'm writing this post because I haven't found any record online yet of this being an official, claimed cache and I'd really like to add it to the community. However, as it is in the national parks, perhaps that's why it was never added to the site. If anybody (especially a moderator) believes I can and should add this as an official cache I will, even though I cannot checkup on it at all.

Hope you enjoyed that little story, and if you have any suggestions or have found any existing detail on this coin, please reply below!

As far as I can tell from reading this thread, this coin has nothing to do with geocaching. The notion that this is a geocache, or even geocache-related, can serve only to besmirch the reputation of geocaching. This is nothing but vandalism.