EarthCache CO Question?

BigAndrew55

For the West Woods Green Roof Earth Cache, it says "email CO". The owner is a user named "ohiograndpa". Is ohiograndpa the cache owner?

Yes.

I haven’t found the answers to the questions yet, but when I do should I send a message to ohiograndpa?

Thx, new to geocaching.

When you have visited the location and ascertained the answers.

West Woods Green Roof

http://coord.info/GC479N0

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Logging a Geocache

4.9. Logging an EarthCache or Virtual Cache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=688

EarthCaches and Virtual Caches have additional logging requirements beyond visiting the location of the geocache and logging a "find". In many cases the geocacher is required to answer questions written by the cache owner regarding the cache location.

In order to claim a find on the geocache, the seeker must send their answers to the questions, to the cache owner, either by email or Message Center. For EarthCaches and Virtual Caches, you may also log your find on-line without waiting for an answer from the cache owner.

Here are the steps for contacting a geocache owner:

1. On the geocache page under the geocache title, you will see "a cache by (username)". Click on the username. You will be lead to the profile page for the user.

2. From the cache owner's profile page, you can choose either:

"Send Message" - uses the online Message Center

"Send Email"- uses email

Contact through the geocaching Message Center and through email sent via Geocaching.com are both legitimate ways for geocache finders to send required answers to a geocache owner. A cache owner cannot require that this information be sent through one particular tool.

Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

III. LOGGING Guidelines: Logging Guidelines cover the requirements that must be fulfilled in order to log a find.

EarthCache Logging Guidelines

EarthCaches are designed to be educational, so visitors will be asked to log an aspect of their visit that demonstrates they have learned something at the site. Unlike physical caches, where "additional logging requirements" are optional, an EarthCache requires geocachers to comply with all instructions in order to log the cache online. See EarthCache.org for more comprehensive EarthCache logging guidelines, including that photographic logs must be optional for all EarthCaches.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

There is a difference between email and the new message center.

Since the EarthCache description says "Email the CO via Groundspeak.com with the answers", I would send email:

At the top of the page, where it says "A cache by Ohiograndpa", click on "Ohiograndpa" to get to his profile page. From there, click on the "Send Email" link.

Note that this is different from using the message center, which is what happens if you click on the "Send Message" link on the profile page, or the "Message this owner" link on the cache description page. Ohiograndpa may not care about the difference, but some EarthCache owners do prefer email rather than the message center.

I prefer the message center. :P
And yet, your active EarthCache listings say

"Email the answers"

"email me the answers"

"Email them to me"

"email me your answers"

If I were working on one of your EarthCaches, I would assume that you preferred email.

I prefer the message center. :P
And yet, your active EarthCache listings say

"Email the answers"

"email me the answers"

"Email them to me"

"email me your answers"

If I were working on one of your EarthCaches, I would assume that you preferred email.

Yes, looks like I should edit them. Mine were all published before we had the message center, but the last few that I have logged as found the messaging center was really nice. It automatically alerts the owner to the GC code, and I also included a photo that was different than the one I uploaded to the cache page. :) I think it is really neat.

Mine were all published before we had the message center, but the last few that I have logged as found the messaging center was really nice. It automatically alerts the owner to the GC code, and I also included a photo that was different than the one I uploaded to the cache page. :) I think it is really neat.
Those are really nice features. I wish they had added them to the Send Email feature as well as to the Send Message feature.
I think it is really neat.

The difference is, that I'm probably once a week on geocaching.com since I manage everything using GSAK. Email is open all the time.

So, if you are expecting an answer, you better send me an email.

Similar situation here. I go to geocaching.com to run PQs but I'm not on it all the time. Initial messages trigger an email with the message text, so I'll see that and I can review to make sure the responses are sufficient, but I'm not likely to fire up the website on my phone so I can respond. If I'm at a computer I might, if I'm not busy.

Also, between the email, the new message centre, and private forum messages, geocachers have three ways to reach me. That seems excessive.

The message center adds an extra level for me to respond to earthcache answers, since I usually manage caches that I want to find through an app, the main reason I visit the website is to log ones that I have found. The MC is just a distraction.

I used to find it annoying, but it got better once I asked people logging my earthcaches to email me through my profile, and added a link to that as part of the logging requirements section fo my earthcaches. If people choose to use the MC, that is fine, but I will not go out of my way to respond in a timely fashion.