Release Notes - July 9, 2013

Geocaching.com Release Notes: Geocaching.com takes multi-lingual to a new level.

Here’s one you’ll love if you can read it, “Det er en skøn dag. Hvis du kan læse dette... så kan du få Geocaching.com på dansk. Geocaching.com er netop blevet oversat til dansk.” For those that don’t read Danish well, Geocaching.com added Danish as its 20th language, happy geocaching! Or as we say in Danish, “God fornøjelse med din geocaching!”

Bug fix: language preference is now saved between logout/login sessions

What is todays site update for?

Or is it just Danish language?

It appears the morning update was just for Danish. The evening updates are generally infrastructure and it is the rare infrastructure update that GS shares details.

So, what happened to the new look that was being tested? I had it for maybe two days and then back to the old style.

I didn't have it on any device at the beginning, but my laptop started using it a week or two ago. The layout seems fine to me. The unnecessary redirects, which sometimes simply fail resulting in an inaccessible cache listing, aren't so hot.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the update but I can't and am getting reports from our local area that we can't seem to get older logs on the cache pages. I was looking at a puzzle that you need to look at an old log. I got up to 25 logs and then I get a message that it is still loading. A friend who is helping me tried two different computers, same thing. Our local caching group, someone asked the same question about not being able to get the old logs.

Can someone check to see what's up with that.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the update but I can't and am getting reports from our local area that we can't seem to get older logs on the cache pages. I was looking at a puzzle that you need to look at an old log. I got up to 25 logs and then I get a message that it is still loading. A friend who is helping me tried two different computers, same thing. Our local caching group, someone asked the same question about not being able to get the old logs.

Same here. "Logs loading" at the bottom after about 20-25 logs are displayed.

Yep same here...

*** LOGS LOADING ***

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz <_<

Same issue here plus the "View Logbook" leads to an empty "Logbook" :unsure: .

The only things you changed were language preferences - and logbook hasn´t been working. Are you magicians? There must´ve been some more changes, mustn´t? Btw, when are you to implement the new design of cache-page? It works at www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCxxxx but doesn´t work at the regular page - quite ambiguous...

Yes, I'm encountering the same problem after last night site upfate: Loading of logs at bottom of cache listing page freezes with a "Loading cahe logs" message after 20 or so newest entries and the Cache Logbook / All logs page doesn't even show a single one log (showing "No logs found" message). I use Chromium 16.0.886.0. Fix it as soon as possible, please - without access to logs of others the fun of the game is severely diminished.

And one more critical remark: To have Log your visit link renamed into Found it seems to me as a wrong step. Many logs are of WN, DNF, NM etc. sort, therefore it seems unappropriate to label the access to them in such oversimplified manner as FI.

The same thing with every update: Nobody from the Groundspeak team has ever tested. Or why can such an obvious error like "Loading Logs...." occur? Or did you only test the language changes and not the rest?

Neither Firefox nor Opera will load any log...

Edited by dbox

When I hover over an icon on the caching map I do not get the balloon that allows me to call up the cache. It does not matter the zoom level. This problem usually does follow a new update to the site. Do I need to reconfigure my computer?

When I hover over an icon on the caching map I do not get the balloon that allows me to call up the cache. It does not matter the zoom level. This problem usually does follow a new update to the site. Do I need to reconfigure my computer?

Your computer has no effect on it. And yes I have that same problem on the map.

I turned Premium yesterday and no I feel cheated as everything is messed up and not working.

What the hell kind of service did I pay for? Surely this update should have been BETA tested?

Loading of cache pages is very slow... I don't know if it has something to do with the problem mentioned above about Loading Logs that hang and which may also cause a constant load on the server.

I hope it will be acknowledged soon so we will know someone is working on fixing this.

Also I think that all the caches which used to have geocheck (or geochecker) links nolonger seem to have them.

Geochecker links wouldn't have anything to do with GC.com. They're put in as html by the cache owner. One situation could be with Certitude; they changed their servers, so if the CO hasn't updated the link it won't work.

Since the site update i can´t enter a Table in html into a trackable listing.

Where is the connection to the addition language?!

I´m using Firefox.

HTML View:

html.jpg

Preview:

normal.jpg ....where is the border?!

it worked previously => http://coord.info/TB33X12

When i click on edit on this trackable listing, the table is gone

kind regards from Austria

Edited by WantedDeadOrAlive

Since the site update i can´t enter a Table in html into a trackable listing.

Where is the connection to the addition language?!

I´m using Firefox.

HTML View:

html.jpg

Preview:

normal.jpg ....where is the border?!

it worked previously => http://coord.info/TB33X12

When i click on edit on this trackable listing, the table is gone

kind regards from Austria

None of the smileys even work when I am trying to make a listing.

In fact the HTML altogether isn't working correctly.

Double spacing between lines and I cannot change it.

The whole site has gone FUBAR at the moment. It needs sorting ASAP.

In GSAK i got "Geocaching.com api error: There was a problem communicating with the Groundspeak api", which i never had before.

Is this error related to the Danish release or another change GS did...?

PLEASE communicate and inform your customers proactively.

Edited by DanPan

In GSAK i got "Geocaching.com api error: There was a problem communicating with the Groundspeak api", which i never had before.

PLEASE communicate and inform your customers proactively.

I had same issue this morning until I upgraded to ver 8.3.1.29 and then it worked.

I had same issue this morning until I upgraded to ver 8.3.1.29 and then it worked.

Upgrading to GSAK 8.3.1.29 does NOT solve the issue.

It seems the API config is changed at GS side.

We have to wait for a response/confirmation from GS.

Upgrading to GSAK 8.3.1.29 does NOT solve the issue.

It seems the API config is changed at GS side.

We have to wait for a response/confirmation from GS.

I tmay be limited to a specific funtion. Last night I added a bunch of caches to a bookmark list from GSAK using the API and it worked fine. What were you trying to do? That info might help GC find it.

It may be limited to a specific funtion. Last night I added a bunch of caches to a bookmark list from GSAK using the API and it worked fine. What were you trying to do? That info might help GC find it.

"Refresh Cache Data" does not work as before, a lot of retries and no response errors from GS API.

Refresh caches with c:geo, GAPP and "GSAK/Get Recent Logs" work fine. Whacky...

Edited by DanPan

It may be limited to a specific funtion. Last night I added a bunch of caches to a bookmark list from GSAK using the API and it worked fine. What were you trying to do? That info might help GC find it.

"Refresh Cache Data" does not work as before, a lot of retries and no response errors from GS API.

Refresh caches with c:geo, GAPP and "GSAK/Get Recent Logs" work fine. Whacky...

Yeah, I have not done a GSAK cache refresh in a few weeks. My caching has been very limited - OK, non-existent - lately.

The c:geo would work because it does not use the API. Don't know anything about GAPP. Interesting.

Whatever this release was about, it did not fix the Opera Mini bug.

I still get the 403.6-Error when trying to access any cache listing from my mobile.

Easy. Don't use opera. It's 2013. :lol:

Not helping. Opera Mini uses data compression, thus minimizing data usage on mobile connections.

In addition it worked perfectly until the update of June 11

Whatever this release was about, it did not fix the Opera Mini bug.

I still get the 403.6-Error when trying to access any cache listing from my mobile.

Easy. Don't use opera. It's 2013. :lol:

Not helping. Opera Mini uses data compression, thus minimizing data usage on mobile connections.

In addition it worked perfectly until the update of June 11

Yeah sacrifice security which you do need for data compression which you don't need.

Data is so minimal and most people have at least 1GB per month.

In fact most networks offer unlimited data allowance now anyway.

Easy. Don't use opera. It's 2013. :blink:
Can't you just accept that people have reasons for using Opera Mini? Yes, even in 2013.

Groundspeak may choose not to support Opera Mini if very few of their members use it. But harassing its users because "It's 2013" is not helpful.

Can't you just accept that people have reasons for using Opera Mini? Yes, even in 2013.

Groundspeak may choose not to support Opera Mini if very few of their members use it. But harassing its users because "It's 2013" is not helpful.

Harassing? Calm down.

I was giving good advice.

Don't use Opera and use a much better and fully supported option is good advice.

Oh and writing pointless comments about make-believe harassment is not helpful.

Harassing? Calm down.

Don't use Opera and use a much better and fully supported option is good advice.

Your original post on the subject came across as very condescending. If you know of helpful alternatives, why not provide them instead of being critical? You may want to bring yourself up to speed with the issue as well. Here is the last official response on the issue.

Harassing? Calm down.

Your original post on the subject came across as very condescending. If you know of helpful alternatives, why not provide them instead of being critical? You may want to bring yourself up to speed with the issue as well. Here is the last official response on the issue.

Excellent then maybe this topic can get back on track to what it was before it was hijacked with Opera talk.

I am having troubles viewing caches from the Geocaching map. It wont let me click on anything and look at its page like I could before. Is this something new or just an error?

Its new. This happens for me too. They've really messed the whole site up.

And I just wasted my hard-earned cash on signing up to be a Premium Member of a load of crap.

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Edited by DanPan

The problems I was seeing back on the 10th were all sorted out for me very shortly after.

In the Bug Reporting forum GS responded on the 10th that they were working on the logs not loading, and it seemed to be fixed shortly after.

People also brought up the links on the maps not working around the same time, GS didn't respond to that but people reported that it was working again shortly after.

There are still complaints about the API not working, and no comment from GS. I did have one incident with the API failing on Cachesense while out in the field but it started working again later the same day and has been since (guess I'm just lucky).

Once again GS are upholding their usual standards of customer communication :huh:

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Wishful thinking. For the last 24 hrs, the api has been barely usable. If it's not timing out, it's giving error messages that don't relate to the actual api call. It seems a bit better thins morning, but still spotty.