[FEATURE] Enhance email preferences

frinklabs

I would like the new email preferences screen to look and function like this:

You forgot the checkbox that says "I want advertisements included in the e-mail".

A while back I read an interview of Craig Newmark, the creator of Craigslist. When asked "why don't you have advertisements on the craiglist web site" he responded "because our users didn't ask for them." Apparently, according to several sources his net worth is $400 million.

You forgot the checkbox that says "I want advertisements included in the e-mail".

A while back I read an interview of Craig Newmark, the creator of Craigslist. When asked "why don't you have advertisements on the craiglist web site" he responded "because our users didn't ask for them." Apparently, according to several sources his net worth is $400 million.

He probably didn't provide a checkbox so they could ask for them.

The initial post is really nice.

But I'm also missing the "plain text only" checkbox.

... and if I'm already "dreaming": Why not provide checkboxes about the informations to be sent with the notification:

e. g. for new caches:

T B (T=Checkbox for the "T"itle of the email, B=Checkbox for the "B"ody of the email)

[ ] Tag like [NEW][LOG][GEO]...

[ ][ ] Cache name

[ ][ ] GC-Code

[ ][ ] Cache type

[ ][ ] Owner

[ ][ ] Publish date (and time?)

[ ][ ] Event date (in case of events)

[ ][ ] Distance

[ ][ ] Bearing

[ ][ ] Difficulty and terrain rating

[ ][ ] ... others I might have missed.

For other notifications:

The same as above plus:

[ ][ ] Type of the log

[ ][ ] Text of the log

[ ][ ] ... others I might have missed.

I'm not kidding - I was just dreaming how it could be...

6dbb4266-4497-4190-8dcd-94184ccc7756.png

You forgot to add the "Plain Text Only" checkbox. Or, are you meaning that if we don't check the "Custom Email Format" box, that we would get text only?

I didn't forget -- I just don't have any illusions about The Team allowing any steps back from their mission-critical twitface links. This suggestion was a compromise to allow the HTML-formatted to be customized for readability.

However, I did mock up that as an option in this topic:

[FEATURE] Enhance Instant Notification Setup

When the subject lines were still munched, I wanted the email customization part to look like this:

62069663-5309-4279-a9df-bbb360edefec.png

I'm going to assume that a custom color preferences for email will never happen, for good reason. Any company wants control of their brand. Brand includes logos, fonts, colors, sizes, etc ... If preferences were allowed to send out arbitrary garish combinations of colors and fonts, that harms the corporate brand. It can be printed or screen snapped or forwarded. Anything coming out in any sort of media format from a company should conform to the brand.

Besides brand issues, there is also a potential issue of performance. If every email sent had to go through the user's preferences and create a custom email, I can see that being problematic.

However, a text/html option might not be a problem. A company has control over the text format, assuming that they want their brand represented in text (cnn does, apple does, depending on the content being sent.) The system would have to still go through the user's preference for email, but only 1 of 2 formats needs to be generated.

Any company wants control of their brand. Brand includes logos, fonts, colors, sizes, etc ... If preferences were allowed to send out arbitrary garish combinations of colors and fonts, that harms the corporate brand. It can be printed or screen snapped or forwarded. Anything coming out in any sort of media format from a company should conform to the brand.

I also don't think anybody really needs "arbitrary garish combinations of colors and fonts". But a proper clean format, not blown-up with 90% whitespace, and without a font so big that it becomes difficult to read, would be better than e-mail bloated up with corporate brand s***. Plaintext-option would be fine too.

The main goal of any email format (except maybe advertising mails) should be to make it easily readable, not to push the corporate brand. The reader should be able to read mails in an easy to read format, ideally adjustable on his device.