Creating a new cache page

cghove

When we are crating the page for a new Geocache, how come we have to fil in country and state, when we have posted coordinates??

Can't the country/state info be extracted from the given coordinates??

reason i see are

1 you may have set up puzzle cache that you you the country/ state as a int for the puzzle

2 you may have put it on the state line country / state

3 this icon may be in one country / state and the cache is in the other country/ state eg puzzles and mults

When we are crating the page for a new Geocache, how come we have to fil in country and state, when we have posted coordinates??

reason i see are

1 you may have set up puzzle cache that you you the country/ state as a int for the puzzle

3 this icon may be in one country / state and the cache is in the other country/ state eg puzzles and mults

Stil Geocaching/Groundspeak should be able to fetch the polygon data for the correct country/state from the given coordinates.....

reason i see are

Stil Geocaching/Groundspeak should be able to fetch the polygon data for the correct country/state from the given coordinates.....

A lot of the programming dates to earlier eras. But still, Groundspeak should do everythng for you? Ah, the modern world! taybee gave some good reasons. I had a geoart series (mystery caches) where some of the starting points were in New York County, New York, and some were in Hudson County, New Jersey. Where should I have listed the cache as being? The caches themselves were all in Hudson or Bergen County, New Jersey. And the New York reviewer was not happy with me listing some of the caches in New York. She did not have the necessary information for cache placements in New Jersey. And ended up referring to the New Jersey reviewer. I thought that since the starting point was in New York, it should be a New York cache.

But you seem to think that Groundspeak should take care of everything for you. Oh, well.

reason i see are

A lot of the programming dates to earlier eras. But still, Groundspeak should do everythng for you? Ah, the modern world! taybee gave some good reasons. I had a geoart series (mystery caches) where some of the starting points were in New York County, New York, and some were in Hudson County, New Jersey. Where should I have listed the cache as being? The caches themselves were all in Hudson or Bergen County, New Jersey. And the New York reviewer was not happy with me listing some of the caches in New York. She did not have the necessary information for cache placements in New Jersey. And ended up referring to the New Jersey reviewer. I thought that since the starting point was in New York, it should be a New York cache.

But you seem to think that Groundspeak should take care of everything for you. Oh, well.

I don't see the problem with fetching polygon data from the coordinates....

In Norway we have 19 "states", and for the moment 7 reviewers, and all 7 review caches for for Norway, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, so here whe dont have that issue, but the problem comes, when U travel to a different country on holliday, and wish to host a meet and greet event, and out of habbit scroll trough the long list and select Norway (yes i know i can press O for Oman and then arrow button up, and theres Norway selected, unless I'm rushing it..) and then my home state, than the Norwegian reviewers wonders why im trying to have them approve an Event listing in Spain, or i was quicker with the Enter key than the arrow key, so the cache i wish to publish in Norway, ends up with a Reviewer in Oman....

I just think it's an unnecessary "feature"

Edited by cghove

I think that automatically correcting location to coords would cause more issues than it solves.

I regularly see caches where the cache owner has selected Florida, USA, but the listing has W008, instead of W080, which puts the cache western Africa. I also see E longitude instead of W longitude. This means their coordinates are in India or Nepal.

Florida is correct, the coords are wrong.

I also see caches placed in Florida by travelers, events and physical caches, where they selected home area, and their home area reviewer suggested a location change, or simply made it for them. There are far fewer of these than there are of the bad coordinate entry caches.

I agree that the cache report page could call out the location selected a bit more boldly, or perhaps throw a warning about possible issues with a difference between coords and selected location.

When we first created the new cache submission process, we did automatically select the country and region based on the coordinates. However, this created too many issues in the UK, where the region breakdowns do not match "real-world" designations. For the sake of the reviewers there, we had to turn off that functionality.

Creating our own geocoding service that matches Geocaching.com's region breakdown is not something that we have the resources to complete at this time.

I agree that the cache report page could call out the location selected a bit more boldly, or perhaps throw a warning about possible issues with a difference between coords and selected location.
Except that Groundspeak doesn't seem inclined to add mere warnings.

Years ago, people suggested an "Are you sure?" warning when someone posts a second Find log on a given listing. Instead, we got a complete ban on multiple Find logs on a given listing.