Send To Garmin - Double Logs

kunarion

I sent a list containing 800 caches to my Oregon 650. The list is similar to the local PQ that I run, but I thought I'd give "Send To Garmin" a shot, from a "List". One weird issue is that on one cache, two logs from last week are identical DNFs from me, and both are within that GPX file. I only posted one DNF log on that cache, but two appear on the GPSr.

Since loading that List, I've posted the Found It log. I have not tested how that affects the List.

[EDIT]: This cache's DNF log was the same way on the List (the GPX file). There were two identical DNF logs one right after the other, on each of the two caches I had DNF'd the week before.

AND I found this cache on the same day, and two Found logs are shown on that cache.

2345b4fd-8293-4075-b62c-9141f787ab1f.jpg

This is shown only on the GPSr (and it's in the GPX file like that). The web site itself shows only one log for each cache. I don't see the strangeness on a couple of other caches that day that were logged by other cachers.

I sure can feel the intensity of interest in this Topic. It's electric. So if I see anything else weird in the List, I'll post it pronto.

Edited by kunarion

I haven't tried out this new feature yet, but I have a theory which could explain what you're seeing.

It could be that the website is giving you all of your logs for the caches being loaded, as well as the last N logs. Rather than comparing the two sets and not delivering duplicates, it's doing both and you get duplicates when some of your logs are within the last N logs.

Maybe?

It could be that the website is giving you all of your logs for the caches being loaded, as well as the last N logs.

Wow! I think that's exactly it!

I took a better look at the GPX file tonight. For the 800+ caches in the List, it looks like every log I have ever made on those caches exists in that GPX file, even maintenance logs on my own caches. Then the 5 "most recent logs" as in an ordinary PQ, are also there. So any recent log made by me is duplicated.

Having all of my own logs is not necessarily all that useful to me. I don't even know what the reason is for doing that. Is there a setting?

[EDIT]: I don't see settings that are anything like filtering logs. It's certainly a unique way to present the logs. Pocket Queries don't do that (at least, previously they didn't). I guess that since "Lists" are sent directly to the GPSr, having two Finds on a cache (for example) doesn't affect any other database. It's just an anomaly in the displayed data.

Edited by kunarion

[EDIT]: I don't see settings that are anything like filtering logs. It's certainly a unique way to present the logs. Pocket Queries don't do that. I guess that since "Lists" are sent directly to the GPSr, having two Finds on a cache (for example) doesn't affect any other database. It's just an anomaly in the displayed data.

Just to be clear: when I do a pocket query, I get 5 logs, and then, in addition, I get my most recent log if it isn't one of those 5. In other words, just the same except that that extra log is not duplicated. I assume that's what you meant. Hard to imagine how such a silly mistake could happen, especially when the PQ code already does the right thing.

Just to be clear: when I do a pocket query, I get 5 logs, and then, in addition, I get my most recent log if it isn't one of those 5. In other words, just the same except that that extra log is not duplicated. I assume that's what you meant. Hard to imagine how such a silly mistake could happen, especially when the PQ code already does the right thing.

Yes, that seems right. PQs had the previous 5 logs, plus the most recent log of mine if not one of the 5. The list, however, includes all of the logs I posted on any given cache, plus the 5 most recent, some of which also might be my logs. Maybe it makes a lot of sense. It looks odd to me, that's all. That duplicate is kind of goofy, I guess it's a bug. But the full list of my own logs seems deliberate, I guess it's a feature. :anibad:

But something has changed in Pocket Queries. I have almost the same thing now (at least in one recent PQ) as I do in Lists. That is, it looks like all of my logs are included for any cache in the PQ. When did that start?

In both cases, the logs now show up on the GPSr, whether from a List or from a PQ, with one exception -- my most recent log does not appear twice in a PQ if it is one of the 5, as it does in a List.

Anyway, Lists and PQs are more similar than I actually thought. :anicute:

This is from my Pocket Query, and showing the logs for my cache Germ Lennon, and the same logs that are in my List are in my equivalent Pocket Query (same search radius, basically the same settings for PQ and List). For each cache in the PQ, it includes every log I have ever posted.

<Groundspeak:date>2017-04-15T19:00:00Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:type>Owner Maintenance</Groundspeak:type>

<Groundspeak:finder id="2384269">kunarion</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Germ's O-ring was broken, so I installed a new one.</Groundspeak:text>

</Groundspeak:log>

<Groundspeak:log id="671603785">

<Groundspeak:date>2017-03-20T21:36:55Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:type>Found it</Groundspeak:type>

<Groundspeak:finder id="6760621">qnidey</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Nice</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="671050485">

<Groundspeak:date>2017-03-18T20:29:59Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:finder id="1495660">AgurClan</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">In the area watching the youngest play softball. TFTC</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="666488009">

<Groundspeak:date>2017-02-23T20:40:26Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:finder id="19505009">B3autyAndB3ast</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Easy to find! Tftc!</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="650212393">

<Groundspeak:date>2016-11-08T20:00:00Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">I beefed-up the attachment with an extra magnet. And I told Mr. Lennon to stay put, no more wandering off. Get back, get back, back to where you once belonged.</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="639357309">

<Groundspeak:date>2016-09-24T19:00:00Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">I replaced Germ's O-ring and log sheet.</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="625529945">

<Groundspeak:date>2016-08-04T19:00:00Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Germ had broken loose again. So I placed a new container.</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="559021667">

<Groundspeak:date>2015-11-27T20:00:00Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">I checked on Germ today, and he's fine.</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="547602321">

<Groundspeak:date>2015-10-09T19:00:00Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">I removed the temporary container Yucko Nono and placed the improved Germ Lennon. There are a bunch of butterflies on the nearby flowers today.</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="546609613">

<Groundspeak:date>2015-10-04T19:00:00Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">I changed the log sheet.</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="520717121">

<Groundspeak:date>2015-07-16T19:00:00Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">I've placed Yucko Nono while Mr. Lennon gets patched up. You'll hardly notice the difference. :)</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="504712848">

<Groundspeak:date>2015-05-23T19:00:00Z</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Germ seemed a little insecure, but don't worry, I straightened him out.</Groundspeak:text>

Edited by kunarion