First hide gps issues

TheHotPeppers

I did my first cache hide and ran into some issues. Twice I logged the coordinates from the geocaching.com compass and twice they were very wrong. It was through the iPhone ap. the third time it came back right....I've never had trouble finding anything yet....just logging and creating.....is the iPhone not good enough to keep things rolling smoothly? Any recommendations on a cheap handheld for getting accurate coordinates of current location? Any good I phone apps?

Please and thanks!

I'd recommend downloading an app that will let you average a waypoint. This will take a few dozen readings and get a much more accurate reading than a single snapshot from what the phone is showing. I don't have a recommendation on an app since I use my handheld GPS, but I'm sure there are a ton in the app store.

Generally you would, with the app (or a handheld): mark a waypoint, select the averaging function, leave it in place for a minute or so to take readings, save it.

I did my first cache hide and ran into some issues. Twice I logged the coordinates from the geocaching.com compass and twice they were very wrong. It was through the iPhone ap. the third time it came back right....I've never had trouble finding anything yet....just logging and creating.....is the iPhone not good enough to keep things rolling smoothly? Any recommendations on a cheap handheld for getting accurate coordinates of current location? Any good I phone apps?

Please and thanks!

Look on the app store for the free "Commander Compass". It's great for getting coords.

I'd recommend downloading an app that will let you average a waypoint. This will take a few dozen readings and get a much more accurate reading than a single snapshot from what the phone is showing. I don't have a recommendation on an app since I use my handheld GPS, but I'm sure there are a ton in the app store.

Generally you would, with the app (or a handheld): mark a waypoint, select the averaging function, leave it in place for a minute or so to take readings, save it.

Thank you for taking the time to help me :0)

If you don't trust your coordinates, then test them.

Enter your coordinates into your device, and then approach the cache location from at least 100ft/30m away. The arrow should point right at the cache location as you approach. Repeat the process, approaching the cache location from various directions, from at least 100ft/30m away each time. No matter which direction you approach from, the arrow should point right at the cache location.

If it doesn't, then adjust your coordinates until it does.

Bonus points for repeating the test on another day when the GPS satellites are in a different configuration.

Also, the Help Center article How to Get Accurate Coordinates should prove useful.