Armchair Cacher

Rose Red

Hippolyte le cousin

Best Day

2716 caches in one day on 02/10/2016

Best Month

3346 caches in February of 2016

If you google their username, you'll see it is some dinosaur character from the French kid's show, "Island Children."

It must be a young script kiddie doing some "hacking" to pad their resume. lol. :rolleyes:

Hippolyte le cousin

Best Day

Best Month

Yep, just saw a "TFTC" find log come through on a cache I was watching because I had DNF'd it last month. The cache is in Oregon. The CO appropriately deleted the 'Found It' log.

This cacher seems to be working their way through the alphabet, currently at "P". Scrolling through their found history, they're logging caches in alphabetical order for each cache type. Their Oregon finds appear to be in a radius around Portland. They logged the Letterbox Hybrids, then Wherigos, then Earth caches, then Virtuals, then Webcam, then Traditionals - each of these shows logs in alphabetical order.

Looks like they hit Montana before Oregon, and Nevada before that. Although those states weren't in alphabetical order. Maybe they're refining their program.

Definitely seems like a bot or some such automation. :angry:

As a beginner, I can only wonder... Why?

Why do people write computer viruses? Same answer:

Because they can.

Edit to add: I just took a look at the offending account. It had 11 finds on October 3, 2015, then sat dormant until the last few days. I'd say either the person tried caching, got bored, and then later wanted to use their account to mess around; or someone has gained access to their account and is using it to mess around. Either way, the account needs to be reported to Groundspeak.

Edited by The A-Team

Hippolyte le cousin

Best Day

Best Month

If you think it's a spammer, report it to Groundspeak.

Cache owners can delete the bogus logs.

B.

True but I suspect that these thousands of bogus logs could be more readily deleted by Groundspeak. Has any affected cache owner reported this infection yet?

1455570798[/url]' post='5565129']

Challenge cache qualification perhaps?

Of course, because all 'bad' geocaching behavior is due to the existence of Challenge Caches, and PT's? :blink: ETA: In case it's not clear, my comment includes a large dose of sarcasm. I do not agree that CC's and PT's are the root of all 'bad' behavior.

To note, this account has only logged one "?" cache. It was a puzzle cache in Nevada, not a challenge cache. I'm doubtful that this account is going to log anything that requires more than a "TFTC" statement in the log text. The account hasn't logged any multi caches, which seems odd.

Edited by noncentric
1455579207[/url]' post='5565162']
1455572410[/url]' post='5565143']
1455570798[/url]' post='5565129']

Challenge cache qualification perhaps?

Of course, because all 'bad' geocaching behavior is due to the existence of Challenge Caches, and PT's? :blink:

Yep. smile.gif

Looks like A team is likely right. Some kind of bot-ish behaviour. Like spam it's always going to be around. But usually goes away quickly once it's reported.

Hippolyte le cousin

Best Day

Best Month

B.

True but I suspect that these thousands of bogus logs could be more readily deleted by Groundspeak. Has any affected cache owner reported this infection yet?

I reported it yesterday, and today...*poof*

https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=2635d65c-3ead-4810-8b12-64a8d4fb083e

Thank you, Groundspeak.

B.

1455668812[/url]' post='5565373']
1455573320[/url]' post='5565148']
1455401928[/url]' post='5564685']
1455399908[/url]' post='5564681']

Hippolyte le cousin

Best Day

Best Month

B.

I reported it yesterday, and today...*poof*

https://www.geocachi...12-64a8d4fb083e

Thank you, Groundspeak.

B.

And thank you Pup Patrol. ?