Sharing a Pocket Query of Puzzle/Mystery Caches (with corrected coords)

wisjanine

When I share a pocket query's URL with someone, if the PQ contains puzzle caches that I have solved and I have corrected the coordinates using the "pencil" icon- will the person get the correct coords or the original coords?

Actually, I have tried this already and it seems they get the ORIGINAL (not the new, corrected coords) so.....is there a way to share a PQ or a bookmark list so that they get the corrected coords and can see the route that we are taking, if (for example) this is a "power trail" of puzzle caches? Am I doing something wrong? We are both premium members.

I have read the forums and cannot see a thread related to how to accomplish this, but if there is one that I have missed, please move this one to the correct thread. Thanks.

"a pocket query's URL...", they'll get the original coords on sharing the URL of a PQ

Llikewise, a shared bookmark list will grab original gpx files - no corrected coords.

Using site tools only, I think the best you could do would be a bookmark, where you've WRITTEN the corrected coords on each entry. You make this "shared" but NOT public. You can send a link to that shared list, and they can PQ it. They'll have to manually correct the coords themselves.

I don't think there are site tools for sharing corrected coords - I could be wrong.

If you're sharing a Bookmark List or a link to a PQ, you're only sharing a link to the caches. When they download them, it will download through their account, which won't have the corrected coordinates or Cache Notes.

If you actually download the PQ and send the actual GPX file, it will include the corrected coordinates and Cache Notes. Be advised that if you're sending/sharing the GPX file to someone who is using a phone app, most phone apps automatically refresh the cache page when it's opened. If you have different GC accounts, their account data will not have the corrected coordinates and cache notes and it will overwrite your GPX data. You should be fine if the other person just copies the GPX file to their GPS or if they leave their phone in offline/airplane mode so the app can't auto-update when they open the cache page.

As others have mentioned, sharing of a GPX file technically violates the Groundspeak TOS, although I don't see the harm in one PMO member sharing a file with another PMO member.

When we're going for a two-party caching run, I just send a fresh *.gpx of the caches in the run database from GSAK that includes the updated coordinates.

Like 1000 other things, I find it much more efficient to use a 3rd party tool than to try to bend the website to my needs. The list of such examples is quite long. Sorry that Mac users aren't comfortable that there's no Mac version and aren't happy with emulators. Sorry that Windows users find the learning curve too steep. Still my favorite caching tool apart from my GPSr.

This is what I do when a small group of us go after Puzzles with corrected coords. One I store them in GSAK with the corrected coords. Then I make a GPX with it checked to save the CC. Then I send it to my friends in an email. They must just drop it directly into their GPS without opening it in any other 3rd party program.

Sounds like we've got very similar styles, Jellis.

Being a programmer in a previous life, I've also had good fun with GSAK macros. In planning for a caching run, GSAK goes out and picks up several large quadrants totaling about 4500 caches that I have as 'unfound'. For those, I get full detail info.

Then the macro goes out and picks up my caching buddy's unfounds in the same quadrants.

The two lists are compared and three separate databases are created

1. Stuff we both need

2. Stuff that I need, but he's found

3. Stuff that I've found but he needs

#2 and #3 get special read and green icons (courtesy of the macro) on the resulting Mapsource map I use for planning the run.