Looked for geocache in wrong yard

I'm so embarrassed.. i was looking for a cache today that was located in a yard. The person came home and I thought he was coming over to help me, but he looked really angry. All that came out of my mouth was am I in the wrong yard? And he said yah I think you are. I was a dumbo and just said sorry a bunch of times and walked away... I'm kicking myself because I should have said what I was doing but i just kind of panicked. Ahgggghhhhh I'm so embarrassed!!! Has anyone ever looked in the wrong yard? Argh I'm such a dummy....

I'm so embarrassed.. i was looking for a cache today that was located in a yard. The person came home and I thought he was coming over to help me, but he looked really angry. All that came out of my mouth was am I in the wrong yard? And he said yah I think you are. I was a dumbo and just said sorry a bunch of times and walked away... I'm kicking myself because I should have said what I was doing but i just kind of panicked. Ahgggghhhhh I'm so embarrassed!!! Has anyone ever looked in the wrong yard? Argh I'm such a dummy....

We've done a few "yard" caches, but only because the CO made it very clear on the cache page that it was their yard. Generally, though, if the gps points to a yard, we tend to keep driving.

Did you poat your experience as a "write note" at least? It should be very clear on the cache page where you should be looking, and if you and others are going to the wrong location, the CO should be made aware of it happening.

B.

We've done a few "yard" caches, but only because the CO made it very clear on the cache page that it was their yard. Generally, though, if the gps points to a yard, we tend to keep driving.

Did you poat your experience as a "write note" at least? It should be very clear on the cache page where you should be looking, and if you and others are going to the wrong location, the CO should be made aware of it happening.

B.

They did eventually get the right yard (next door seems) and it had the appropriate attribute.

I've found maybe a couple of "yard" caches. One I couldn't resist while on a road trip through Europe, in Austria. Had to get a key from a trellis by the back door (there were hundreds of keys hanging there) and unlock a box attached to the side of the garage. Felt a bit uncomfortable but knew we were in the right place at least. I generally avoid such hides, in order to avoid situations as per the OP. Certainly the description needs to be *really* clear for me to go near one. On the flip side not so long ago I found a cache in a walkway between houses and the coords pointed into someone's front yard a couple of houses away...

Yep. I did a cache once where there was a projection, but no geochecker. The description of the yard seemed to match the hint so I went for it. Poked around their front porch, lifting up and inspecting various items before I gave up and realized I'd made a mistake. Thank goodness they were NOT home. I was totally horrified when I found out.

Another yard cache I did, I was actually in the right place. However, the owners had moved out without archiving their cache. Suffice to say, I found nothing. Again, thank goodness the new residents were not home.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Some years ago I was looking for a cache near a church inside a lovely yard in Nîmes (France), the gate was open so I entered.

After some time the priest arrived in a car, stopped on my back and asked what I was doing.

I explained and we talked for a while... and gladly he was a Fátima believer. :D

In Algarve (south of Portugal) there is an amazing multi with lot of stages called Pandora Box, from an old english couple.

When we find the container there is a message like this: "Return to the cottage close to the 3rd point and come drink a homemade beer with us".

So we met the owner... like intended of course. :)

Edited by RuideAlmeida

The one "in my yard" cache I found belonged to a friend, knew right where to go, but still felt awkward nosing around their house .

We'd worry about strangers and our kids...

The other 2/3rds has done a few, but the last couple had coordinates so far off, that she doesn't bother now either.

Every once in a while, we see examples from others here in the forums, getting rave reviews and FPs.

We don't see that feeling by many others in most areas we've been. Neighbor issues mostly.

Surprised how few talk to the neighbors, to see how they'd feel about it first...

I've been to yard caches a few times, and attract cops (or worse, angry neighbors) when I do. Lately, I pass those by. When LEO drops by to check my papers, I can't help but wonder how many more police calls on me there can be today, before it becomes kind of a big deal. The first time was a freebie.

The attitude of a yard CO is that it's super obvious (to the Cache Owner) where the cache is, just go into that yard and find it, ha-ha, there's no way there could be any issue. Yet the info about which yard it's in, where to park, whether the CO even lives there, or whether any neighbors know or are cool with it, that info is lacking. If I'm off by even 30 feet, I can be in the wrong yard.

Pardon me if I've become wary of this kind of hide. If I'm not absolutely certain about it, I'll take the DNF without entering the property, often enduring the special Note from the CO (cute!) about how my DNF sure is an embarrassment to me. Because it's preferable to the alternative.

Did a yard cache once. Knew was right yard because we had to go through gate and "not let two big poodles out". Started searching when home owners came out. They had this perfectly laid out sitting area where they lounged around watching us trying to find the cache. Talk about turning the tables, we were their entertainment. Can't complain because they were really nice.

I don't mind yard caches and have never had any issues with the ones we've gone for. I remember a couple where i didn't find the cache right away so knocked on the door to try and make sure i was in the right area. Was nice meeting the cache owner or relative of the cache owner on those trips.

But at the same time, i realize that many people are nervous about yard caches. I have one placed in our yard and it makes sense to let visiting geocachers know they're in the right vicinity when they stop by. To make things easier for everyone, i put up a sign with the geocaching logo on it next to the driveway.

First of all, don't be embarrassed. No matter how it happened, it's mainly the CO's fault, so he's the one that should be embarrassed. I'm glad you didn't get shot or anything, and, yes, it would have been nice to discuss it with him, but I probably would have tucked tail and run, too, so I don't blame you for not doing that, either.

I've done a couple yard caches that weren't a problem because the caches could be retrieved from the sidewalk. The one problem cache I remember was astonishing: the description said that the cache was set in someone else's front yard specifically because when the CO was a kid, the person who owned the house used to give kids a bad time about cutting the corner by walking across their yard! I didn't find it, and I found out later that I didn't find it because I didn't actually walk to the middle of the yard, in full view of people watching TV in the house, and look for the fake sprinkler head out there. I'm still not clear on whether the people living in the house gave permission or even know about the cache.

I tend to nope out on yard caches, unless they're a really obvious structure, or can be accessed from the sidewalk or something. That being said, of the yard caches I have found, some of them are quite memorable. It's easier to maintain a unique cache container when it's right outside your door.

I walk away If I am at all uncomfortable searching for a cache for any reason.

Did you post your experience in your dnf log? If not you may want to contact the cache owner and tell them what happened. They may want to check the accuracy of their co-ordinance or move the cache so that others won't experience the same thing.

Had this happen to me the other day. The CO gave themselves permission to hide a cache in their backyard. Then they moved, and then they quit caching. Somehow eight years elapsed without anyone else getting anything other than an odd look, until I hit the muggle jackpot. :angry:

"Please kill this cache with fire, and please nuke it from orbit, just to be sure."

Love it.....

I walk away If I am at all uncomfortable searching for a cache for any reason.

That's the best idea. Safety is paramount. Your safety is far more important than finding any cache, guys. If, for some reason, you don't feel safe or comfortable when going for a cache, get out of there. No one will think any less of you.

I've never gone hunting for a cache in someone's yard. Like some of you have said already. I've just never been comfortable with the idea.

I think the first "front yard" cache I found was at an event that was hosted by the CO at his home. At some point he asked whether I'd found the cache yet, which is how I discovered that there was a cache there in the first place. I found the cache later, before the end of the event. It was within a couple feet of the sidewalk, and wasn't hard to find at all (excellent coordinates, non-micro container, not near neighbors on either side).

Another "front yard" cache was under a stepping stone, within a couple feet of the sidewalk. The stepping stone was marked with the geocaching logo, so it was pretty easy to find the cache quickly, and with certainty.

Another "front yard" cache was a TB hotel. The CO included his address, and specified exactly where the cache was located, just in case the ammo can secured to the porch with a bike cable wasn't obvious enough.

And I've found a few "front yard" caches that were hidden in/on the CO's "Little Free Library". That was made clear in the cache descriptions.

But the closest I've come to "looking in the wrong yard" was a puzzle that I solved incorrectly. I quickly decided that I must be in the wrong place, and was standing in the parking lot reviewing my notes when a security guard approached and asked whether I needed help. I thanked him for his concern and explained that a puzzle solution had sent me here, but that I now thought that my solution must be wrong. And then I continued on my way.

I've had a couple of close calls with "wrong yard" scenarios.

The first was a FTF attempt. The description stated that the cache was hidden on their private property and that cachers had permission to go there and find it. When I arrived, the coordinates pointed smack dab on the fence separating two properties. <facepalm> Since there was no way to tell which one was the right property, I considered just leaving. However, I saw a culvert running under a driveway a few metres away and gave that a quick look, and it turns out that's where the cache was. In reality, the hiding spot was NOT on their property at all; in this jurisdiction, the ditch and culvert beside the road are on city property. After I mentioned this confusion in my find log, they edited the description to say that you don't need to go onto private property.

The second was in a small town while traveling. I was in the back of a neighbourhood park with few apparent hiding spots, but it backed onto several residential properties. A couple of the properties had fences, but a few didn't. The coordinates happened to point exactly to the back property line of one of the properties without a fence. However, without any mention in the description of private property access and no sign of a viable hiding spot for a Small, I gave up and left. I just went back and looked at that listing again, and I see that they've since fixed the coordinates that were apparently off by about 60 feet and have now stated in the description that you don't need to go onto private property. It's too bad they couldn't have done all that in the preceding 6 years of the cache's life. :/ It turns out that I did the right thing by not going onto that one property.

There's a wilderness campground I know of, on the shore of a pretty little lake. I drove in on a weekday, and found the place completely deserted. When I come back, I said to myself, I want to camp right here on Site #10, the most perfect site with the sweetest view.

Guess where the cache was? Right below the wooden post with #10 on it.

If even one party was in the campground, they'd be on #10.

To the CO I had to think, hey, you're camping in the wilderness! Couldn't you at least have gone for a little walk before dropping your hide?

The second was in a small town while traveling. I was in the back of a neighbourhood park with few apparent hiding spots, but it backed onto several residential properties. A couple of the properties had fences, but a few didn't. The coordinates happened to point exactly to the back property line of one of the properties without a fence. However, without any mention in the description of private property access and no sign of a viable hiding spot for a Small, I gave up and left. I just went back and looked at that listing again, and I see that they've since fixed the coordinates that were apparently off by about 60 feet and have now stated in the description that you don't need to go onto private property. It's too bad they couldn't have done all that in the preceding 6 years of the cache's life. :/ It turns out that I did the right thing by not going onto that one property.

A perfect example of why this type of hide is unacceptable.

It is up to the land owner to 10000000% ensure it is listed accurately and that their neighbors are not unhinged.

Whey bring strangers into harms way? Because you are too lazy to head out to a park? Or that you love the "tee hee" of watching someone search for something. It's just not worth it.

Come on.. get out there.. explore.. give people room to look for things in privacy... Urban hiders need to be more considerate by several factors more than a hide on a trail.

Shaun

Only time I go to someone's front yard for a cache is when it's in or on one of those Little Free Libraries. In those cases, the homeowners EXPECT folks to be browsing through it, so it's not as weird. Otherwise, I pretty much avoid front yard caches. Even if the homeowner put it there, it seems a bit disrespectful to the neighbors.

Funny though. The oldest cache in Georgia is just outside someone's backyard split-rail fence. You can see right into their sliding glass door. Honestly, if I lived there, I would have lobbied to have that one removed...but I guess they're okay with it.

One done only a couple years after starting (and the other 2/3rds was a FTF monster), was supposed to be at a kid's "Grandma's house".

- "She can't wait to talk to people! :)". So apparently we're there for her amusement as well...

Six in the morning, 2/3rds searching along a hedge at the sidewalk and finds it.

A man comes out, asking her what the #$** is she doing, she tells him, and he directs her next door, where the kid's Grandma lives.

The container was given to "Grandma", and now she really had to watch and talk to people, until the kid got outta school.

Sheesh...

Only time I go to someone's front yard for a cache is when it's in or on one of those Little Free Libraries. In those cases, the homeowners EXPECT folks to be browsing through it, so it's not as weird. Otherwise, I pretty much avoid front yard caches. Even if the homeowner put it there, it seems a bit disrespectful to the neighbors.

Funny though. The oldest cache in Georgia is just outside someone's backyard split-rail fence. You can see right into their sliding glass door. Honestly, if I lived there, I would have lobbied to have that one removed...but I guess they're okay with it.

Had same thought. Amazed they've let it stay. No point in a privacy fence or hedge, as it'd spoil the view of the lake.

I recently went looking for an FTF. The coordinates seemed to point to a hedge in someones yard. I found the perfect spot to put a cache, but no cache. I gave up and tried again later on the other side of the fence. The property owner came out because I was wandering around his fence and turned out to be a geocacher also. He had no idea that there was a cache nearby! I gave up after an hour of searching and someone else later claimed the find.

I have also found a two-stage multi. The first stage was in a tree in front of the house and the final was a large ammobox chained to their back deck.

Edited by AutisticMajor

When encountering an "uncomfortable" personal property cache, I've had good success by knocking on the door, introducing myself, and asking for permission to search. I've met a lot of really nice people this way---some COs and some who just happened to be living there who knew about the cache. Some even came out to watch and even (sometimes) offered a hint. I've also met people this way (yes, at wrong houses) who had no idea about geocaching and I left thankful that I knocked first.

On 5/18/2017 at 5:23 PM, niraD said:

Another "front yard" cache was a TB hotel.

One of my first was a TB hotel.  Being a noob, I didn't think twice about it being in a yard (I had seen many YT vids depicting yard hides).  The description was very clear and accurate, and I could see the cache as I drove by the yard (had to go past & turn around to park).

In the future, I guess I'll fall back on the old... "it depends..."  :P

I hope the OP informed the CO, so CO could liaise with the aggrieved neighbor.  IME, Fresh home-baked pies can work miracles. ;)

I've also considered putting one on my own property (if/when I get to that point).  Still on the fence, and likely will be for some time--my property is large enough, but landlocked between neighbors, so access would have to be between houses or in my front yard (which might be the least objectionable option).  Just don't know yet--lots to consider... B)

Edited by RufusClupea
Afterthought(s)

I hate yard caches. I've only done 3. Two I was dragged there by a friend who doesn't care. The only one I voluntarily did was because I had solved my first hard (for me) puzzle cache and I was stoked!!!! Then crushed when I found out  it was in a yard! So I bit the bullet and went to find it determined to earn my puzzle smiley. I hit someone's mailbox with my car (no damage) and then had an old lady yelling at me from across the street "Hey, are you looking for a cat? Are you looking for a cat??!" I found the cache and fled!! Ugh!!