Good Bye

CCB15

Well all, it has been fun, and it has been real. Unfortunately greed is getting the best of what was probably the best way to get out and about and off the couch.

So for me and the family, we will no longer be geocaching. It isn't about the cost of app (which all 4 of us have), or the cost of the premium membership. It is all in principle. Forcing us to purchase a membership in order to keep going at the same level we have all become accustom to.

Thanks all for all the help, suggestions, caches, etc.

Take care and have fun

CCB15!

Many ways to still enjoy the game without all the bells and whistles. Not as convenient perhaps, but still possible. Heck, I've known people to cache without the benefit of a GPS, by just looking at the maps and going to GZ.

All the same, best of luck to you and your family.

It might have worked better if you had tried an App other than Groundspeak's. The API based third party apps have more options for basic members - more than what I had when I started as a premium member. I'm not trying to dissuade you. I don't know that I would have stuck with it had I started today. So best of luck. Find an adventure with your family.

Edited by geodarts

Heck, I've known people to cache without the benefit of a GPS, by just looking at the maps and going to GZ.

My Dad and I used to play that way for the first year or so of geocaching. We didn't own smartphones or a GPS device at all. We looked at the map on the computer at home, then just set out on a journey looking for the treasure. We'd say, "looks like it ought to be about halfway down this trail, just before you reach the fork in the road. There appears to be some sort of stream not far away." So we'd walk until we found something that looked like that and then just poked around until we spotted something that appeared to be a likely hiding place - an odd stump, or a peculiar pile of sticks, a rock that didn't quite match the surrounding area.

One day we invited my step brother to go with us. He logged into the app on his smartphone and showed us the little arrow pointing us to within a few feet of the cache. Well, that took all the fun out of it. My dad said it felt like cheating. Nowadays we use GPS navigation just to get the correct coordinates; but we still don't download the cache info into it or follow the arrows. We print out the cache description and coordinates before we leave home. We read off the coordinates and slowly move slightly North, or East, or West, or South until we are standing close to the given coordinates on the cache page.

Only a few times when I'm by myself and just in the mood for a quick one, do I "cheat" and use my phone app.

IDK, as far as hobbies go Geocaching is pretty cheap.

Don't need a GPSr, Don't need a phone, Don't need a premium membership. The basic game is free. I know in my area there are over 200 caches you can get on basic for free and if I go out another 10-15 I can add another 200.

Even if you add in some equipment and premium it's still cheap.

You can get a basic GPSr for under $50 if you buy an older used unit that works fine. Most cellphones will run the app fine so if you have one already, you're good to go.

Premium is $30.00 per year.

There are not many hobbies you can invest under $100 in and have $30 yearly expense to be involved in it.

I do get that even $30 a year is a lot depending on what you make and how many people you have in your family but you could all share an account.

I can tell you that some of my other hobbies (metal detecting) it's fairly cheap.

There's always someone who wants everything for free.

Petrol is about the most expensive part of geocaching. I tried getting my car to be filled up for free, but they insisted I pay. Grumble grumble.

I'd take the bus but then I'd spend more in a week than a premium membership does for a whole year!

What is the world coming to?!?!

There's always someone who wants everything for free.

Petrol is about the most expensive part of geocaching. I tried getting my car to be filled up for free, but they insisted I pay. Grumble grumble.

I'd take the bus but then I'd spend more in a week than a premium membership does for a whole year!

What is the world coming to?!?!

When I lived in the Twin Cities Metro area there were literally thousands of caches within a reasonable bike ride.

Successful businesses learn a lot from exit interviews when employees leave, and they do their best to find out why customers leave.

The reason could fall into any of three categories: (1) the complaint has no validity and should be ignored; (2) the complaint may be valid, but with our business model we can't​ satisfy this customer; or (3) the complaint is valid, and there is something we can do to prevent losing other customers like this.

If the issue is price, it's true, as others have said, that this is a low cost activity compared to many.

The membership is roughly $2.50 a month. If you really wanted to cut cost, you can make a "family" account so you're only paying for one membership, and use one phone with the app. That way you're not paying for four apps and four memberships. No one is forcing anyone to purchase anything.

Hope you had fun, at least.

I've been paying since the beginning and have enjoyed the additional benefits and features that premium brings. But imo, being able to see all geocaches (except pmo) is not an additional benefit a person should have to pay for. The new app pretty much blackmails people into paying to see caches that were once available to everyone. Yes, i think i see where the OP is coming from, and yes,, it's principle.

With an average of 50 cache finds per year I don't think there's much lost either way.

Agreed. 8 finds since January 2016. Not much has been lost, I think.

For me, personally, geocaching has enhanced my life so much, I would be happy to pay much much much more.

The apps and premium membership are a bargain, IMO. But only if you use them. And, yes, I think people who provide these services should be paid for their work. "It is all in principle."

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I've been paying since the beginning and have enjoyed the additional benefits and features that premium brings. But imo, being able to see all geocaches (except pmo) is not an additional benefit a person should have to pay for. The new app pretty much blackmails people into paying to see caches that were once available to everyone. Yes, i think i see where the OP is coming from, and yes,, it's principle.

Yes, this.

I pay for premium, as most/many "avid" cachers do.

But the strategy to make the official app crippled (for non-PMO) caches is a questionable one. Many don't know about other apps. If we take a family like this that caches only occasionally. Some of them may take premium, and that is good for GS. But others may go. I would think GS would want to keep those occasional cachers happy, in hope that they will become more active ("avid") later and want to purchase premium.

With an average of 50 cache finds per year I don't think there's much lost either way.

Agreed. 8 finds since January 2016. Not much has been lost, I think.\

How many caches should one need to find a year to be considered a worthy member of the geocaching community? I've only got 14 since January (8 this montth!) but my membership was just renewed (10 years as a PM now).

Yes, this.

I pay for premium, as most/many "avid" cachers do.

But the strategy to make the official app crippled (for non-PMO) caches is a questionable one. Many don't know about other apps. If we take a family like this that caches only occasionally. Some of them may take premium, and that is good for GS. But others may go. I would think GS would want to keep those occasional cachers happy, in hope that they will become more active ("avid") later and want to purchase premium.

On the other hand, the limitations on the crippled app would appear to be a good tarpit for casuals who might get up to mischief with our caches :ph34r:

Agreed. 8 finds since January 2016. Not much has been lost, I think.\

How many caches should one need to find a year to be considered a worthy member of the geocaching community? I've only got 14 since January (8 this montth!) but my membership was just renewed (10 years as a PM now).

Nobody questioned their worthiness.

When I started, I could find 98% of the caches without having to pay anything. Open the website, program coords into my GPS or download the loc file.

Today, I can find 98% of the caches without having to pay anything. Open the website, program coords into my GPS (or phone) or download the loc file.

New features have been added over time to make that easier, such as pocket queries for premium members, or more complete access for phone users. But the basics are the same - you can find almost every cache other than premium member caches which are a minority (even then you can still find them with help.)

Long time forum members might remember a form for geo-cide?

The main reason I don't quit, there's so much paperwork if I did. :anitongue:

In light [pun intended] of the recent rash of forum and geocacing suicides the admins have [not] been in contact with me to make this handy form. Should you feel the need to quit geocaching and/or the forums please use this form and post it to save time. Use of this form will allow you to expedite your departure and will prevent the forum doors from hitting you in the butt on the way out.

I [state your moniker here] no longer wish to participate in geocaching.

After [check the traumatic life altering event below]

[ ] My cache was denied.

[ ] I was flamed in the forums.

[ ] I got an email.

[ ] Saw a light path near a cache.

[ ] I found a lame cache.

[ ] Realized fair trades means me.

[ ] My big uns signature item was ruled not family friendly.

[ ] Greed.

[ ] Other: ___________________

I have come to the conclusion that. [check your conclusion below]

[ ] The admins suck

[ ] Geocaching.com sucks

[ ] The forum regulars suck

[ ] All threads that start with Woo Hoo suck.

[ ] Jeremy sucks.

[ ] Everybody but me sucks.

Because of this [check your reason for resentment below]

[ ] Blatant disrespect for my sensitive nature.

[ ] Utter lack of bowing and groveling at my feet.

[ ] Lack of acknowledgment that my new idea is better.

[ ] Display of online attention directed at me.

I can no longer participate in geocaching and/or these forums. As far as my caches go you can [select final cache disposition]

[ ] Archive them and make them into cache litter.

[ ] Adopt them to people who care.

[ ] Divide them up like the bickering slobs that you are.

[ ] Let me list them on another site.

[ ] Stuff them where the sun dont shine.

As a final note just let me say that. [choose your parting shot from those provided below]

[ ] This has been the worst experience of my life.

[ ] Its been really fun and Im not sure why Im going but its something I must to do be true to myself.

[ ] That will teach you, you rat bastards.

[ ] Im not going to tell you the story why I left even though I made this big long suicide note for the forums.

[ ] You can kiss my a__.

Signed [insert your moniker here] __________________________

(Based on Renegade Knight's Geocide Form, 2003)

Edited by kunarion

When I started, I could find 98% of the caches without having to pay anything. Open the website, program coords into my GPS or download the loc file.

Today, I can find 98% of the caches without having to pay anything. Open the website, program coords into my GPS (or phone) or download the loc file.

New features have been added over time to make that easier, such as pocket queries for premium members, or more complete access for phone users. But the basics are the same - you can find almost every cache other than premium member caches which are a minority (even then you can still find them with help.)

I agree, but the difference is for cachers starting now with the phone app. Well it is more like 90% here rather than 98%, but that's a detail. In general, they won't have a GPS or know how to manually program their phone. So to them, it will seem like a very restricted service with the official app and without premium.

When I joined, the model worked perfectly for me (with GPS usage). I happily found caches for around 6 months. Around then I decided I wanted premium features, so I became premium. It didn't restrict you too much, so I got interested, and then later was happy to go premium.

It seems different for a new cacher today who is using the app, and only the app. They don't get that "I can find most everything, just not as conveniently" experience you and I had. So they are more likely to quit before ever becoming "hooked" enough to want to purchase premium.

I agree, but the difference is for cachers starting now with the phone app. Well it is more like 90% here rather than 98%, but that's a detail. In general, they won't have a GPS or know how to manually program their phone. So to them, it will seem like a very restricted service with the official app and without premium.

When I joined, the model worked perfectly for me (with GPS usage). I happily found caches for around 6 months. Around then I decided I wanted premium features, so I became premium. It didn't restrict you too much, so I got interested, and then later was happy to go premium.

It seems different for a new cacher today who is using the app, and only the app. They don't get that "I can find most everything, just not as conveniently" experience you and I had. So they are more likely to quit before ever becoming "hooked" enough to want to purchase premium.

The "barrier to entry" when I started 14 years ago was pretty high. You had to find out about geocaching, spend at least $300 on a GPS, read and learn (imagine that!) about geocaching ... a big investment of time and money meant you probably have committed yourself to the game. You learned how to program the GPS by hand, and that's what I did for quite a number of caches. I can't recall when PQs came in, or even if they were around when I started.

Nothing stops a newbie with a phone from downloading a free GPS app and entering everything in by hand like the "olden days". Many of the changes in the past decade have been around convenience and optimization ... the core part of the game hasn't changed since 2000.

The "barrier to entry" when I started 14 years ago was pretty high. You had to find out about geocaching, spend at least $300 on a GPS, read and learn (imagine that!) about geocaching ... a big investment of time and money meant you probably have committed yourself to the game. You learned how to program the GPS by hand, and that's what I did for quite a number of caches. I can't recall when PQs came in, or even if they were around when I started.

Nothing stops a newbie with a phone from downloading a free GPS app and entering everything in by hand like the "olden days". Many of the changes in the past decade have been around convenience and optimization ... the core part of the game hasn't changed since 2000.

Good points.

I guess I'm questioning if the current approach is the best in today's low barrier, app focussed world. Consumers generally won't pay for things unless they see the value. So you need to offer them enough for free to get them "hooked", then sell them more.

It's not my business so I'm just throwing thoughts out there.

We don't use the app, but the recent changes have made it difficult to search for caches when one is a Basic Member. Very frustrating.

Even the newly-revamped GS newsletter is favoured towards PM's, as the Basic Member newsletter does not give a link to "new caches near you", as is provided in the PM newsletter.

The loss of vital tools like bookmarks and pq's just made things worse. Those are the primary reason we have returned to being PM.

B.

Long time forum members might remember a form for geo-cide?

The main reason I don't quit, there's so much paperwork if I did. :anitongue:

In light [pun intended] of the recent rash of forum and geocacing suicides the admins have [not] been in contact with me to make this handy form. Should you feel the need to quit geocaching and/or the forums please use this form and post it to save time. Use of this form will allow you to expedite your departure and will prevent the forum doors from hitting you in the butt on the way out.

I [state your moniker here] no longer wish to participate in geocaching.

After [check the traumatic life altering event below]

[ ] My cache was denied.

[ ] I was flamed in the forums.

[ ] I got an email.

[ ] Saw a light path near a cache.

[ ] I found a lame cache.

[ ] Realized fair trades means me.

[ ] My ‘big uns’ signature item was ruled not family friendly.

[ ] Greed.

[ ] Other: ___________________

I have come to the conclusion that. [check your conclusion below]

[ ] The admins suck

[ ] Geocaching.com sucks

[ ] The forum regulars suck

[ ] All threads that start with Woo Hoo suck.

[ ] Jeremy sucks.

[ ] Everybody but me sucks.

Because of this [check your reason for resentment below]

[ ] Blatant disrespect for my sensitive nature.

[ ] Utter lack of bowing and groveling at my feet.

[ ] Lack of acknowledgment that my new idea is better.

[ ] Display of online attention directed at me.

I can no longer participate in geocaching and/or these forums. As far as my caches go you can [select final cache disposition]

[ ] Archive them and make them into cache litter.

[ ] Adopt them to people who care.

[ ] Divide them up like the bickering slobs that you are.

[ ] Let me list them on another site.

[ ] Stuff them where the sun don’t shine.

As a final note just let me say that. [choose your parting shot from those provided below]

[ ] This has been the worst experience of my life.

[ ] It’s been really fun and I’m not sure why I’m going but it’s something I must to do be true to myself.

[ ] That will teach you, you rat bastards.

[ ] I’m not going to tell you the story why I left even though I made this big long suicide note for the forums.

[ ] You can kiss my a__.

Signed [insert your moniker here] __________________________

(Based on Renegade Knight's Geocide Form, 2003)

I'm glad you found this form. My renewal is up at the end of this month so i may be using it. My question, is there a specific thread here in the forums to post it to?

On second thought, i think i'll just go out quietly. I guess that for some people, it feels good to publicly geocide to get it off their chest. However, i've seen enough of them to know that they only garner pile ons from the forum regulars,,, even when the geocider has a legitimate complaint.

My renewal is up at the end of this month so i may be using it. My question, is there a specific thread here in the forums to post it to?

Whatever blaze of glory you go out in, is fine.

On second thought, i think i'll just go out quietly.

Oh great. What am I supposed to do with this busload of protesters?

Greed? Really?

Server hosting for 17 years of data is not cheap. Bandwidth to deliver that data to us in a timely manner is not cheap. Software developers, QA engineers, product managers, etc are not cheap. I don't see 'greed'. I see a company being fiscally responsible and doing what they need to do to ensure this game continues to live on and grow. At $30US a year ($2.50 a month) I feel like I get substantial bang for my buck.

Greed? Really?

Server hosting for 17 years of data is not cheap. Bandwidth to deliver that data to us in a timely manner is not cheap. Software developers, QA engineers, product managers, etc are not cheap. I don't see 'greed'. I see a company being fiscally responsible and doing what they need to do to ensure this game continues to live on and grow. At $30US a year ($2.50 a month) I feel like I get substantial bang for my buck.

Plus, of course, the expense, time and effort that Cache Owners go to in placing and maintaining caches for others to find, just like the OP... oh... wait... no... not like the OP.

If I had to use "The App", I might quit, too. I can't stand The App Experience, regardless of the web service, and in most cases, regardless of the App. Many web sites have business-card-style Apps, with the web site itself being quite suitable without an "App". Such Apps are ads to pay for the site subscription, subscribers of course paying for the continuing support of the App, paying although not using "the App" to use the site. When I delete the App, I "quit" without fanfare. Weird, huh?

Well all, it has been fun, and it has been real. Unfortunately greed is getting the best of what was probably the best way to get out and about and off the couch.

Don't forget to pick up your geocaches. Oh, wait, I see geocaching was all about you and not about giving back to other cachers. I guess greed is bad but being selfish is OK.

I give your geocide a 2/10. If you do come back, make sure you flame out more spectacularly next time you leave.

The loss of vital tools like bookmarks and pq's just made things worse. Those are the primary reason we have returned to being PM.

Huh? Bookmarks (https://www.geocaching.com/account/lists) and pocket queries (https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx) are still there, and are listed on the dashboard.

Both of which are available to premium members but not to basic, which is why PP apparently returned to premium membership to get them back.

Huh? Bookmarks (https://www.geocaching.com/account/lists) and pocket queries (https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx) are still there, and are listed on the dashboard.

Both of which are available to premium members but not to basic, which is why PP apparently returned to premium membership to get them back.

That's what I meant. Not being a PM meant the loss of the bookmarks and pq's, and was the ultimate reason why we paid up finally. Caching without them is a ridiculously painful and frustrating experience.

The search function as a Basic Member is abysmal.

Maybe when we get some sort of mobile phone (soon), we might search out the various free non-GS apps. What I've read here on the forums about the GS app is not encouraging.

Free should not equal useless, and we might very well be Basic Members again soon.

B.

That's what I meant. Not being a PM meant the loss of the bookmarks and pq's, and was the ultimate reason why we paid up finally. Caching without them is a ridiculously painful and frustrating experience.

Maybe when we get some sort of mobile phone (soon), we might search out the various free non-GS apps. What I've read here on the forums about the GS app is not encouraging.

Free should not equal useless, and we might very well be Basic Members again soon.

B.

This is what i was kinda getting at. We can say that geocaching is still free but Groundspeak has made sure to take things away that i thought would always be there. It's definitely a tougher hobby to pursue if you don't pony up.

B.

This is what i was kinda getting at. We can say that geocaching is still free but Groundspeak has made sure to take things away that i thought would always be there. It's definitely a tougher hobby to pursue if you don't pony up.

OP bought four apps (1 per phone) and four memberships for each family member. If OP truly was concerned about the money aspect, OP could have easily made one family account, and used one phone. OP says it's not about the money, but about principle. $120 in memberships a year plus $40 in app purchases... Why OP thinks he needed to pay all of that $$ is beyond me.

The new app is basically crap. There's no nice way to put it. The old app was superior in nearly every aspect.

And if geocaching wants to keep growing and have people pay for "premium" access, it might not be a bad idea to let prospective members find something other than LPCS, but no, let's give em a crippled worthless app.

Cause, yeah, those LPCs and guard rail caches really make folks want to fork over $30 to find more. Stupidity at its finest.

Oh, you want to take a friend or one of your kids caching with you? Sorry, but now you're out of luck. Indeed, your friend or kid has to pay $30 just so he can use the app for the day. Seems legit.

Obviously geocaching has been in decline for awhile now, but these business decisions will doing nothing to help that.

Anyways, lot of old cranky men here. Feel free to blast away, but you know I'm right even if you won't admit it. ;)

Anyways, lot of old cranky men here. Feel free to blast away, but you know I'm right even if you won't admit it. ;)

No, I would not agree that you are right. :( Groundspeak HQ is a for profit company, and I enjoy Geocaching enough that I don't mind paying for a membership to get full access to their site. :)

Besides, I blocked the freeloaders a long time ago with my PMO listings. I only hide geocaches for paying members. :P The freeloaders can stick to LPC's and 1.5 D/T power trails. B)

Cause, yeah, those LPCs and guard rail caches really make folks want to fork over $30 to find more. Stupidity at its finest.

Oh, you want to take a friend or one of your kids caching with you? Sorry, but now you're out of luck. Indeed, your friend or kid has to pay $30 just so he can use the app for the day. Seems legit.

You do know that there are other free apps that are not restricted to the 1.5 D/T rating don't you? :unsure:

Edited by Manville Possum

Greed? Really?

Greed? Maybe... maybe not...

I worked for a couple hosting companies and content providers before I called it quits. I know that infrastructure is expensive. But I also know that these companies were money makers. Adding a user that's paying $30 per year does not cost the company that much more to support.

True - adding 1000 users costs more - another couple of servers and maybe some bandwidth. But those 1000 users also added $30k to the company's revenue. And let's not forget the .50 made in China trinkets they're selling for $10 either...

And - I'll bet GS doesn't own DC. They likely lease space from a DC provider similar to DuPont Fabros / Equinix Level 3. Or have their servers in a Rackspace / Amazon (cloud provider) DC.

While they may or may not be nudging people to PM out of greed, they're certainly not a charity case either.

B.

Cachly for the iPhone rocks if you're thinking non GS app. It's not free though. $5 or so. Even has a very responsive FB group for questions, bugs and feature requests.

I have a couple of geocaching buddies with android phones that really like c:geos. No idea of the costs...

I have a couple of geocaching buddies with android phones that really like c:geos. No idea of the costs...

It's the free app that scrapes this sites data that we premium members pay to support.

I never used it ... but I wonder since is is a screen-scraper,

with all the changes that have been made recently

Does it still work?