Back logging after signing up later

_SWH

Hi. I cannot find the answer in the help information. Let's say a non-Geocacher goes caching with a registered Geocacher. Sometime later the non geocacher signs up with an account. Are the nonGeocacher's that are now registered allowed to go back in time and date their online their finds from months weeks years ago?

Example: new users membership date is June 1, 2017. Find date of a Geocache: January 1, 2013.

Is this really allowed?

If it is, then I guess the regular rules apply not their name needs to be on the log

Sure. Why not. I have a friend who had gone geocaching with me once or twice a year for several years before he finally created his own account. I gave him a list of the GC codes and the dates we had found those caches together, and he logged them with the correct dates. That's perfectly fine.

Be welcoming to someone who is just getting started in the game.

Have you ever logged from a group signature? did you log under the "group sig" cache account name, or your own? Not everyone has done this, but it's common, especially caching groups post event. I wouldn't be deleting finds because the log is signed "BAG", and the online logs are: assorted users, part of "BAG".

I've hassled folks over finds on Challenge caches - novices with fewer total finds than the challenge requirement; a run of this back when the Geocaching.com free app was new. And a couple of times on logging finds of the first stage of multi-cache. And then only after checking final for sig, and only after reaching out to user, to explain....and then waiting 6 months to a year to delete, because at that point, that user is long gone

...and I don't generally bother with that.

Have you ever logged from a group signature? did you log under the "group sig" cache account name, or your own? Not everyone has done this, but it's common, especially caching groups post event. I wouldn't be deleting finds because the log is signed "BAG", and the online logs are: assorted users, part of "BAG".

I agree, I think it is perfectly fine. If you know when you found the cache and who you were with, then log it. If you come across a cache owner who deletes your log as you didn't sign yourself, then just let that one be. I think it is unlikely that any owners will do that though.

I've hassled folks over finds on Challenge caches - novices with fewer total finds than the challenge requirement; a run of this back when the Geocaching.com free app was new. And a couple of times on logging finds of the first stage of multi-cache. And then only after checking final for sig, and only after reaching out to user, to explain....and then waiting 6 months to a year to delete, because at that point, that user is long gone

...and I don't generally bother with that.

The post is about what the new cacher should do, which is go ahead and log if their presence is indicated in the logbook in some fashion. Nobody threatened to delete anything.

narcissa, the original poster is NOT a new cacher asking what they, as a new cacher, should do.

Original post is from a cache OWNER asking if a, "now registered allowed to go back in time and date their online their finds from months weeks years ago"?

It still wasn't posed as a "what is the CO allowed to do" type of question. There's no need to force it to devolve into nonsense about deleting finds unless that is what is being asked.

There is no time limit on logging, and no requirement that an account must be created prior to caching. Those are the facts.

Hi. I cannot find the answer in the help information. Let's say a non-Geocacher goes caching with a registered Geocacher. Sometime later the non geocacher signs up with an account. Are the nonGeocacher's that are now registered allowed to go back in time and date their online their finds from months weeks years ago?

Example: new users membership date is June 1, 2017. Find date of a Geocache: January 1, 2013.

Is this really allowed?

If it is, then I guess the regular rules apply not their name needs to be on the log

When we hike with others, one of us may stop for a cache that's along the way.

We've had some hikers interested enough in this odd hobby who asked if they should log in too, JIC.

We state that's one of the few "rules" and sure. :)

Normally they add their real name to the log, not what caching name they dreamed up later.

- The only time we've seen issues with them is when a log's been soaked and replaced by a "helpful" cacher, or the CO

There's no matching name on that "current" log...

We know dozens of others, who finally broke from their family's account, and starting their own.

- They've kept track of all caches found, and now logging them (by date) to show their actual history in the hobby.

Some "new" cachers doing this have been caching with their family years before you started. :)

There is no time limit on logging, and no requirement that an account must be created prior to caching. Those are the facts.

I'll throw out another fact: there is no requirement to sign the physical log in order to log a find.

If a CO is fine with a new cacher logging their back-dated find from before they created their account, then there's no problem. If the CO isn't fine with it, then they've been granted the authority to be a stickler and delete the log.

To be clear, narcissa's first post in this discussion is her personal opinion and is neither shared by everyone nor backed up by the guidelines.