Releasing drilled coins with flips

ThePetersTrio

I typically drill and release coins with a buddy tag attached inside of a zip lock bag. After seeing the condition of zip lock baggies after a few cache visits, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to release drilled coins utilizing the protective flips they come in using a cable.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of this posted - but I can't seem to find it now.

Obviously a concern would be that the coin should still be removable from the flip for cachers to look at and then tuck back inside. I wonder with that activity would a flip last very long in the wild?

I've been looking for some way to recycle some flips - if this method is possible, I'd be ever so happy. :unsure: We are getting ready for a mini-vacation to Vancouver, BC and I'd love to drop some coins while we are up there.

Thanks!

You could buy some of the acrylic coin holders and drill them AND the coin at the same time. Put your aircraft cable through the whole thing. The finder can still see both sides of the coin clearly with no need to take it out of the acrylic. If they absolutely feel the need to see the coin naked, there should be enough play in the cable to allow them to unsnap it and slide the two pieces out of the way.

Should work on everything but the largest coins.

You could buy some of the acrylic coin holders and drill them AND the coin at the same time. Put your aircraft cable through the whole thing. The finder can still see both sides of the coin clearly with no need to take it out of the acrylic. If they absolutely feel the need to see the coin naked, there should be enough play in the cable to allow them to unsnap it and slide the two pieces out of the way.

Should work on everything but the largest coins.

I haven't seen them like that but I have seen them with the hole drilled through the flip and the coin and the cable through both of them. It does the same thing but the flip could be torn off. I like your way better but more costly too.....

Drilling holes though doesn't keep them from getting stolen as I thought it would. I had one coin go missing that I had two holes drilled in it with an aircraft cable and the coin buddy tag and its gone. :unsure:

Yes I have released some twr coins in flips,, what i do is,

I put the coin in one side, and the travel buddy on the other side , then I run the cable thru the coin and use a wire to clamp it shut so the coin cannot come off the wire then you run one end of the wire the the travel buddie and clamp that shut also,, the other end of the coin wire goes thru a hole punched in the flip so it sets on the out side of the flip and the other end of the wire from the buddie tag goes out another small hole and then clamped again out side the flip to the other end of the wire.

This secures the coin to the flip but also allows for the coin to be pulled out of the flip without loosing the flip, as ladybee4t said it could be ripped out but is way more durable then zip lock baggies , I usually put the flip and coin in a baggie just for good mesure.

Ill post a pic tonight if I have time and can remember at the end of tis long day. Hope that helps

Pics would be great - I'm more of a visual learner... :unsure:

Thanks for the replies so far. I think the coin would definitely need to be able to be taken out easily as many coins these days have teeny tiny tracking numbers or have the numbers on the side of the coin - or both! I want to make it as easily as possible for people to log them correctly.

If you're putting your coins into the flips in order to hopefully have them not be stolen, here's my experience with traveling geocoins, no matter if you drill them or not, put them in flips or not.

I've sent out many drilled coins with tags and unfortunately, that doesn't keep them from being stolen. At first, I thought it would, or at least give it a better chance but I'm up to about 100 missing. So now I send them out with tags, just to let the person finding it that it is indeed a traveler and not a trade item. I do have many missing but I have many more still traveling and love getting all of the coin logs I get every day.

I myself have no illusions about flips protecting coins from theft. I just would like to find a better, more efficient and attractive way to release them.

The ziplock baggies look trashy after a short time. I think the flips would do a better job. That is the reason for the thread. Just looking for ideas here. :unsure:

I always attach a mission tag to my drilled geocoins. In big bold letters it states that it is not meant to be kept, keep it moving etc. At the bottom of the tag I put the tracking number, that makes it easier for the person to log it properly, some coins it can be pretty difficult to find the tracking number let alone decipher it!

I always attach a mission tag to my drilled geocoins. In big bold letters it states that it is not meant to be kept, keep it moving etc. At the bottom of the tag I put the tracking number, that makes it easier for the person to log it properly, some coins it can be pretty difficult to find the tracking number let alone decipher it!

Oh I know! If I ever want to release one of my ACGA Sou'westers, I'll have to include the tracking number on the mission sheet. The tracking number is so small on the coin that I can't read it -- and I have perfect vision. The only way I have been able to read the number is to take a picture of it with my camera and then zoom in on the tracking number.

The acrylic case will still allow easy reading of tracking numbers on the coin edge -- until it starts getting scratched up.

I typically drill and release coins with a buddy tag attached inside of a zip lock bag. After seeing the condition of zip lock baggies after a few cache visits, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to release drilled coins utilizing the protective flips they come in using a cable....

I find this funny. You are willing to deface the coin by drilling a hole. Then want to protect the coin...

Ok funny but understandable. Here is a question. Can you find clear epoxy and dip the coin? That would protect the coin, even though the epoxy gets beat up.

I typically drill and release coins with a buddy tag attached inside of a zip lock bag. After seeing the condition of zip lock baggies after a few cache visits, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to release drilled coins utilizing the protective flips they come in using a cable....

I find this funny. You are willing to deface the coin by drilling a hole. Then want to protect the coin...

Ok funny but understandable. Here is a question. Can you find clear epoxy and dip the coin? That would protect the coin, even though the epoxy gets beat up.

Um, defacing coins - as you put it - isn't something I enjoy doing. Not at all. But until someone comes up with a better way to deter theft of an entirely intact coin that could later be sold to an unsuspecting buyer then that is what I will do to continue to try and share coins with the geocaching community. Losing money through theft is bad enough. Seeing a thief make money on eBay with my property is completely unacceptable.

Coins are sold in flips for a reason - they protect the coin. I have hundreds of flips lying around. I'd like to put them to use in some way in releasing coins if possible. That is why I started this thread - to get ideas on how to use the flips with releasing coins (please see title of thread). I know for a fact others have done it because I remember seeing a picture of it somewhere on this board. I'm just trying to get some information.

Hope that is ok with you. :unsure:

SO HERE IS A PIC,, The flip can be closed and the do not keep flip flop is outside of the coin flip. i only used 1 hole due to the flip flop but if you did not have that then you would need 2 holes to connect the chain outside of the back side of the flip. i use a hole punch to get a clean hole. and in this nstance i used some wire red wire to hold the objects to the chain.

hope you understand..

20f2cc7e-7bc6-4b17-b1b0-35f71fb5bec4.jpg

That pic helps - thanks for posting it! It is a little hard to tell but you are punching a hole through the single layer (the middle part of the flip)? I guess I was thinking I'd want to punch through the two sides and coin together to make it less likely to rip the flip. I was even going to reinforce the hole with a little metal bracket thingy (don't know what they are called) that the wire could slide through easily.

This is definitely helping me think things through a bit differently than I was before.

If I come up with anything useful, I'll post a picture too.

Thanks again!

GeocoinGuy posted a method he uses, which is to punch a hole in both coin and coin flip and attach a small luggage-type lock in there. Pic is in the post or here (I'd hotlink, but haven't asked for permission yet).

I imagine that this would look great until the flip gets grungy. You could mitigate this by putting the flip-coin-and-lock ensemble in a small poly bag to protect everything from the dirt & grime.

Sure!!

locked.jpg

Quick edit: I also have used four 'eyelets' that I have holepunched on the corners of coin flips to prevent a round coin from escaping! If I find a pic of that, I will post it as well.

~J

Thanks for remembering, Kat!

Edited by GeocoinGuy

Sure!!

<snip>

Quick edit: I also have used four 'eyelets' that I have holepunched on the corners of coin flips to prevent a round coin from escaping! If I find a pic of that, I will post it as well.

~J

Hey, no sweat. It was a good idea, and a very good & clear pic. : ) By "eyelets", are you talking about the eyelets you can put into stuff with a Silent Setter from Provo Craft? I have one of those and let me tell you, it makes making geocaching-related stuff so much easier. I can mash one of those bad boys into, say, the corner of a trackable log and run the chain through the eyelet. Hadn't thought of it as a way to keep a round coin in -- that's a really good idea!

Edited by Jackalgirl

Found a coin recently with the travel tag on one side of the flip and the coin on the other. Well, nothing unusualy there, went to dump the coin out to get a "feel of it" and low and behold, the flip is glued shut! Now, this won't stop someone who really wants to steal it (nothing will) but it will protect the coin and keep it in the pouch. Thought it was a neat little idea.

Sure!!

locked.jpg

~J

i like the idea but you dont seem to be able to "handle the coin outside the flip???

Sure!!

locked.jpg

~J

i like the idea but you dont seem to be able to "handle the coin outside the flip???

is this the copper version ,,,, i want one!!!

Sure!!

locked.jpg

~J

I think this might be the picture that I remembered! Thanks GCG and JG. But I had also forgotten that this would make it impossible to get the coin out of the flip.

I wonder how it has held up. GCG is this coin still traveling? I looked at your profile but didn't see it.

I have also used eyelets (so that is what they are called!) but only on my buddy tags - not on flips. I'm going to get one made and see how it works out. I'll post a picture here in a couple of days or so.

Today we are off on a winery tour! Yay :huh: (hope my friends won't mind me sneaking in a few caches too)

Sure!!

<snip>

~J

Hey, no sweat. It was a good idea, and a very good & clear pic. : ) By "eyelets", are you talking about the eyelets you can put into stuff with a Silent Setter from Provo Craft? I have one of those and let me tell you, it makes making geocaching-related stuff so much easier. I can mash one of those bad boys into, say, the corner of a trackable log and run the chain through the eyelet. Hadn't thought of it as a way to keep a round coin in -- that's a really good idea!

Yes... and here in the states, those can be found at Menards, Lowes and Home Depot... actually... I think Walmart has them too. The little bag of eyelets have a top and bottom, and what I did was use the punch to mark the hole where I wanted to place the eyelet, then I put the bottom piece into the punch and set the top piece into the premarked hole, and set the hole punch on top like a 'crimper' and squeezed it together for a nice, clean eyelet. This procedure keeps round coins from escaping the coin flip. :)

Sure!!

locked.jpg

~J

I think this might be the picture that I remembered! Thanks GCG and JG. But I had also forgotten that this would make it impossible to get the coin out of the flip.

I wonder how it has held up. GCG is this coin still traveling? I looked at your profile but didn't see it.

I have also used eyelets (so that is what they are called!) but only on my buddy tags - not on flips. I'm going to get one made and see how it works out. I'll post a picture here in a couple of days or so.

Today we are off on a winery tour! Yay B) (hope my friends won't mind me sneaking in a few caches too)

First of all, the coin should be admired while in the flip - that's the point of 'locking' it inside the flip. The pictured Great Outdoors coin is part of the "Gift, Cache & Travel" mission and was gifted to "Fairyhoney's" - where Fairyhoney places all her coins into that account. I assume it's still traveling. :)

Sure!!

locked.jpg

~J

Today we are off on a winery tour! Yay B) (hope my friends won't mind me sneaking in a few caches too)

First of all, the coin should be admired while in the flip - that's the point of 'locking' it inside the flip. The pictured Great Outdoors coin is part of the "Gift, Cache & Travel" mission and was gifted to "Fairyhoney's" - where Fairyhoney places all her coins into that account. I assume it's still traveling. :)

I respectfully disagree. I always take coins out of the flips to appreciate them. That includes coins in my own collection. While I understand the reasoning behind proxies, I leave them in the cache when I find them. Texture is big for me in a design and I don't feel like I'm able to really appreciate them stuck in that plastic. Plus, I would want someone who found my coin (and flip) to be able to clean it up if need be and I've been doing a lot of that lately.

Picked this coin up in Florida while on vaca. Don't think it will be stolen anytime soon...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...1d-7f34536753c6

Edited to include link

Edited by Trick or Treat

I've gotta say, I'm a texture person too. I like to be able to feel the coin, not just run my hands over plastic.

That said, I've never understood the appeal of drilling a hole through a coin and running a cable (or lock) through it. If someone actually wants that coin no matter what, those are only very minor deterances that 2 minutes with a hacksaw will solve. Or 20 seconds with a Dremel.

I haven't released any coins into the wild (can't afford coins), but if I had an inclination to, I'd just toss it into a box. No plastic, no holes, etc. Most geocachers except the extremely new ones understand what to do with it, and it it's going to be taken, nothing I do short of cutting it into a dozen pieces, throwing it in a tiny sack, and leaving the coin ID together on one of the pieces will stop that. Hell, even then it might not, since I'm sure someone will want to 'put it together like a puzzle' and think it's cool or something.

Actually... a geocoin that works like a miniature jigsaw puzzle would be kinda cool *ponders*

But I digress... I'd just toss it into a box. I'd never be expecting to get it back anyway (much like travelbugs, although I'd sorely LOVE to see the current state of one of them), so oen way or another I'm saying 'goodbye' to it forever. It'd be preferable if it kept going, but I wouldn't actually expect it to not go missing over time.

So yeah in short, I'm against the whole plastic flap or drilling in general.

I meant to post this a while back but obviously had a brain fart cramp. :laughing:

2Bugsinflip.jpg

I left the cable long so that you could still remove and fondle the coin outside of the flip. It didn't turn out quite the way I wanted it to but I'll give it a shot and release it and see if it seems to hold up to travel.

I meant to post this a while back but obviously had a brain fart cramp. :D

2Bugsinflip.jpg

I left the cable long so that you could still remove and fondle the coin outside of the flip. It didn't turn out quite the way I wanted it to but I'll give it a shot and release it and see if it seems to hold up to travel.

That's very cool. I'll be watching to see how this works.

Sure!!

locked.jpg

~J

Clever!

Awe - that's a TSA lock!

I meant to post this a while back but obviously had a brain fart cramp. :(

2Bugsinflip.jpg

I bumped this topic up because maybe there are some new ideas/pics, AND I'm getting ready to send out a couple of coins. I used this method with a geocoin buddy attached.