Geocacher wanted, Derbyshire

Hi there. I'm an organiser for a walking group in New Mills, Derbyshire, and I've been asked to research a local geocaching event - a free event lasting perhaps a couple of hours explaining the concept and giving the people attending a chance to use a GPS and locate a couple of caches. We're a non-profit organisation (part of the Walkers are Welcome initiative) and the event would be advertised locally

and open to the public.

I know of (and have found) a few caches nearby but I could really do with some advice from an experienced cacher on how best to proceed (or even a volunteer who could co-lead the event with me). Thoughts and offers of assistance welcome.

Thanks

BirchVale

You could try contacting Meltdiceberg or Paperballpark who are both in the Glossop area, they might be able to help or pass you on to someone else. Might be worth waiting till Friday to contact Paperballpark as hes a bit busy at present. Good luck :)

As with so many things in life, it all depends on the detail. :)

Are you wanting to organise an informal event (i.e. it won't appear on the Geocaching map), or a Geocaching event which will appear on the map (but which you also publicise elsewhere)? If the latter, you'll be more likely to get a number of cachers turn up, of all levels of experience - simply by dint of it appearing as an event on the Geocaching map. These events are fairly simple to organise - find a pub, check they'd be able to cope with a reasonable-sized group of people, and then create a new event on the Geocaching website, with all the details. Best to do it for an evening rather than during the day, as more people would be free.

These type of events also tend to be very informal affairs - in effect a social meet-up. It sounds like you're more looking for a structured meeting though, unless I'm mistaken. In my experience, most cachers start caching and learn as they go along, or go to local events and meet people, chat about things and ask any questions there. Cachers are generally a friendly bunch, and are usually happy to answer any questions new people have.

The various geocaching apps on smartphones now mean that you don't need the initial expense of a GPS device (although that's only useful if you have a smartphone!), and the official Geocaching app, whilst not the best out there (IMHO), is reasonable for starting out, as it will guide you through the different types of cache and things like that. It will, however, limit which caches you can find as a 'free' user, which is annoying.

There's a Geocaching event arranged nearby this Wednesday, for the Summer Solstice. The details are here: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC751XQ_coombes-edge-summer-solstice-sunset. This will provide the opportunity to meet some cachers and do a bit of caching too. It might be a bit short notice, but you may want to come along to get more advice :)