Give Away

wozainali

Thank you Groundspeak for the new video on the login page which gives away some of the tricks people use to hide caches. Maybe it's just me, but part of the fun is staring for ages at a site with a cleverly camoflaged cache before that sudden great moment of discovery. What next? A page listing the solutions to people's puzzles?

Thank you Groundspeak for the new video on the login page which gives away some of the tricks people use to hide caches. Maybe it's just me, but part of the fun is staring for ages at a site with a cleverly camoflaged cache before that sudden great moment of discovery. What next? A page listing the solutions to people's puzzles?

OK, I found it. Not too bad, I don't have any issues with it. You do realize there are now DOZENS of people who make weekly Geocaching videos on YouTube, correct? All the popular ones have sort of a loose confederation, and they NEVER name the cache (a few rare occasions they do when they get permission), but spoilers abound. Of course you have to go out of your way to look for them.

Maybe it's just me, but part of the fun is staring for ages at a site with a cleverly camoflaged cache before that sudden great moment of discovery.

Generally the videos don't name the location, so when you visit an actual cache site, the hide could be anything. But to be safe, don't watch the videos.

By the way, i've seen a few of the YouTube videos, and i'm happy to say I have *never* seen anyone post a lamppost cache video! We can all enjoy the "aha moment" early in our caching careers. B)

Maybe it's just me, but part of the fun is staring for ages at a site with a cleverly camoflaged cache before that sudden great moment of discovery.

Generally the videos don't name the location, so when you visit an actual cache site, the hide could be anything. But to be safe, don't watch the videos.

By the way, i've seen a few of the YouTube videos, and i'm happy to say I have *never* seen anyone post a lamppost cache video! We can all enjoy the "aha moment" early in our caching careers. B)

I guess i've never been lucky enough to stumble upon one of these. What are these "lamppost" caches that you speak of? I want my own "aha moment". :lol:

Edited to say that i kinda agree with Wozainali. However, i'm not surprised that gc.com posted a video. They've gone above and beyond with the handholding.

Edited by Mudfrog

I can't even find the video. Is there a video give away about where the video is hidden?

258e343c-0b26-4ece-81ae-4f5051d2fc69.jpg

Watch this one instead, which I found elsewhere on the site. It's an Official Video, and has some great info. Thank you Groundspeak!

Edited by kunarion

I can't even find the video. Is there a video give away about where the video is hidden?

258e343c-0b26-4ece-81ae-4f5051d2fc69.jpg

Watch this one instead, which I found elsewhere on the site. It's an Official Video, and has some great info. Thank you Groundspeak!

Up top, there's a tab between "Partnering" and "Follow Us" called "Videos". Didn't view it but it looks like the first video you see on the opened page is the one the OP may be talking about.

Up top, there's a tab between "Partnering" and "Follow Us" called "Videos". Didn't view it but it looks like the first video you see on the opened page is the one the OP may be talking about.

Yes, that shows some cool ideas! That must not be exactly the video. It's just a peek at what makes a trickier hide. These videos are what people need, to go beyond just another LPC.

Thanks Groundspeak! :D

While logged out of site go to http://www.geocaching.com/ which will redirect you to https://www.geocaching.com/play and the video is there.

Surely the 'Finding a Geocache' video should be BEFORE the 'Hiding a Geocache' video...

Sort of gives the impression you've got to hide one first, before you go looking for a cache. :blink:

Surely the 'Finding a Geocache' video should be BEFORE the 'Hiding a Geocache' video...

Sort of gives the impression you've got to hide one first, before you go looking for a cache. :blink:

That would be good, although if the first hide is that cool, taking the considerations in the videos to heart, I don't mind if all they do is hide those. The videos should be finding, hiding, archival, Geocide. In that order.

:anibad:

Edited by kunarion

Maybe there are a bunch of people like me who don't even look at the video??

Maybe there are a bunch of people like me who don't even look at the video??

And then there are those, that having watched the video, think they are the worlds greatest expert on the subject...

While logged out of site go to http://www.geocaching.com/ which will redirect you to https://www.geocaching.com/play and the video is there.

Like some geocaches, the video is right under your nose, hidden in plain view. Enjoy the "aha moment"! :P

Is there a particularly terrible one? I've watched two of the "introduction" kind of videos, and I'm very impressed by the information covered, and haven't figured out which is The New Video. Maybe a particular Cache Owner would be justifiably upset that his cache was spoiled by Groundspeak without his permission (if that's the case). But suggesting ways to step up one's game with examples, is a good thing.

Edited by kunarion

I guess i've never been lucky enough to stumble upon one of these. What are these "lamppost" caches that you speak of? I want my own "aha moment". :lol:

Edited to say that i kinda agree with Wozainali. However, i'm not surprised that gc.com posted a video. They've gone above and beyond with the handholding.

Not everyone has had the "aha moment." A cacher with under 50 finds went to this cache, saw the hint that said "In the usual place," posted a DNF, and asked in his log, "What's the usual place?" :grin:

d286dae6-3218-429f-9387-12ff64bd02f7.jpg

Not everyone has had the "aha moment." A cacher with under 50 finds went to this cache, saw the hint that said "In the usual place," posted a DNF, and asked in his log, "What's the usual place?" :grin:

I have a bit over 200 finds, and I'd be asking the same question: "What's the usual place?"

It's like one of my DNFs of a GC that everyone is finding in Indiana, with its description saying something a typical Hoosier hide. What's a Hoosier hide? Apparently, because I'm not from Indiana, I couldn't get what they were talking about.

I have a bit over 200 finds, and I'd be asking the same question: "What's the usual place?"

It's like one of my DNFs of a GC that everyone is finding in Indiana, with its description saying something a typical Hoosier hide. What's a Hoosier hide? Apparently, because I'm not from Indiana, I couldn't get what they were talking about.

Not to go too much farther off topic but,,

A buddy and i had a hard time finding a cache a while back. The cache page's hint stated something like "typical insertcachernamehere hide". We were from outside the area so had no idea what that meant. :blink:

Is that a Sheetz? I love Sheetz. They don't have them where I come from, and their pretty regional, but they are awesome. If there was a cache at one I was at though, I'd probably ignore it, and just do my business. :P

Is that a Sheetz? I love Sheetz. They don't have them where I come from, and their pretty regional, but they are awesome. If there was a cache at one I was at though, I'd probably ignore it, and just do my business. :P

Most definitely a Sheetz, Mr.Yuck. I often find myself heading to SGL territories in PA to find climbing caches since we can't place em at home anymore and always enjoy the trip to these places as they're outside of the traditional "wa" ;)

But I digress....I don't believe that the new video/s are an issue as it's the GZ that makes the hide. I don't often pick up a container and say "oh man, if I could only come across a ______ to stick this thing." Most of the time, I'll find a great area first and then decide what is most suited for it. Groundspeak can give away a great hide, but who's to say I'm going to hide that cache just like it's displayed in a video? Everybody does it different, ya know. It's some motivation to get more creative! Of course, while observing the guidelines at the same time.

I think I found what the OP is asking about. It's a full-page video that automatically plays before you log in, when using Windows 8.

On my Windows 8 laptop, the "login screen" is a full-page video "login screen", playing a loop of an assortment of cache hide styles. The browser redirects to the "login screen" at the URL https://www.geocaching.com/play. In Windows 7, it doesn't always redirect to that page. Sometimes it's the usual login box. I'm also getting a lot of what looks like the video, but not presented correctly in Internet Explorer.

IMO, it's good to show some of the ways caches are hidden and the containers. If someone is just starting, they will need to learn what to look for, and a common issue is they don't know there are containers that are super tiny & tricky. Sure, if someone doesn't know a cache could be hidden [in some given specific way], it will ruin a surprise later. Rather than go home and think it over, they may try to see if it's [one of those] and find it at that time. So there's the debate over the school of hard knocks vs. the new school. But it also is a call to Cache Owners to up their game. Don't hide it exactly like those, add a new twist. Then the videos won't matter as much.

Whatever, here are the the logins for comparison:

Windows 8 (It's a video playing within the "login screen"):

472f94b4-8c8c-43c2-8268-c585527dd096.jpg

Windows 7 (a static image with a malformed box, probably due to the way I have IE set up):

bfdc806e-127e-4986-bce2-14637328aef2.jpg

To see this, I usually have to go directly to "https://www.geocaching.com/play" which otherwise would not happen. So I have extra work if I want to see this. Otherwise, I get the old-fashioned HTML login screen just fine.

Edited by kunarion